I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guides for pike fly rod
Posted by: Dario Zanetti (---.w217-128.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: June 02, 2022 03:52AM

Hi guys, first of all I'll introduce myself because I am new in the forum.
My names is Dario a pike fisherman from Italy.
I am a beginner in rod building but thanks to the forum I found a lot of useful information. so thank you guys!
Today I have a question since I want to build a fly rod for pikes (my first one), the idea is to build a 9ft 9-10wt.
which guides do you guys suggest?

Will you use a full set of ceramic guides from butt to tip or ceramic just for the stripper and stainless steel for the rest?

sorry if maybe the question has already been asked but I couldn't find an answer on the forum.

Thank you for the help.

Dario

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guides for pike fly rod
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (172.58.99.---)
Date: June 02, 2022 08:35AM

2 Ceramic Strippers (Double foot) and the rest double foot snakes. Let us know if you need sizes.

Date: June 02, 2022 08:38AM

Thank you Lance!

A suggestion on the size will be appreciated!

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (172.58.99.---)
Date: June 02, 2022 09:30AM

Some people like pretty guides that have some kind of mineral/stone rings (Heavy), but I am going to recommend performance type guides to keep it as light as possible. I would use either Fuji KW 20 and KW 10 with REC double foot snake RSNX size 6 then size 4 double foot snakes to the tip with a large loop tip top.

You could also go with the REC Cerecoil CSG double foot in size 20 and 10 for strippers. They are Ceramic ring guides from REC. Use the same REC double foot snake running train. The REC Cerecoil guides are little harder to place than the Fuji KW so you may want to consider the easier option. Here are some links from the side menu where you can order all from the same place they have large loop tip tops also.

[reelseats.com]
[reelseats.com]
[reelseats.com]

[getbitoutdoors.com]
[getbitoutdoors.com]
[getbitoutdoors.com]
[getbitoutdoors.com]

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 02, 2022 11:44AM

Ceramic fly-rod guides are vulnerable to cracking and breakage due to impact, metal guides aren't, and there is no evidence ceramic guides will allow you to fly cast farther or more accurately than all-metal guides. There is no record of all-metal guides being "grooved" by fly lines or fly-line backing. You should be so lucky.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 02, 2022 11:54AM

I have replaced thousands of steel guides due to grooving. Particularly pear-tops. And there is a "record" of such going back a hundred years or more.

No one in this thread has suggested that ceramic guides will allow you to cast further or more accurately. It has been stated, and is accurate, that ceramic guides are quieter and pay out line more smoothly under pressure.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 02, 2022 07:05PM

I have seen many metal guides grooved by monofilament lines but no metal snake guide grooved by a fly line. Do fly lines make wide, shallow grooves in snake guides?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 02, 2022 10:21PM

Yes. And I can tell you if a guy casts overhead or sidearm by where that wide groove is.

Date: June 03, 2022 03:44AM

Thank you Lance for your suggestions!

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2022 09:42AM

I don,t think I ever grooved a wire guide but they sure have destroyed many fly lines..you can start a season with a new floating and half way into the season it,s acting like a sinking wet line with water leaking through the damaged line..many times I have locked up with a nice bass and I could not feed line because the wire guides were dug into the line..ceramics solved that problem..also, ceramics worked better for me on an 8' rod but you may need the extra casting distance of longer rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2022 10:12AM by ben belote.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster