I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Banksia Nut Handles Revisited
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 30, 2022 05:54PM

Phil Erickson recently introduced me to Australian Banksia nuts for turning into rod handles; they are stunningly, intriguingly and uniquely gorgeous. Using the search function here, the last post involving Banksia nuts was from Phil over 12 years ago so I thought re-posting might be of interest to those unfamiliar.
They may not be of interest to those who consider the lightest weight top priority; my 7.5in long X 1.0in diameter (at the small end) weighs 50g (1.7oz) compared to an equivalent size cork handle of ~15g. Phil suggests coring them with foam to reduce weight, but a lot of the beautiful radial endgrain would be lost. Phil also suggests filling the seed pockets to aid gripping comfort but I am hoping to avoid such to retain the natural beauty; if it proves to be uncomfortable after fishing it I can fill them then.
The banksia nut I purchased from Rockler Woodworking was ~ 3.25in in diameter X ~ 9in long and <$20. So there is a lot of material to remove / turn and it is messy as heck. But the end result produces the most intriguing and unique hardwood I have ever seen including all of the exotics, even burls. I especially like the matrix / honeycomb / fish scale pattern surrounding the dominant pockets which also afford the radial endgrain.
While a Banksia nut handle may not be for everyone, hopefully someone else is as blown-away with the natural beauty as I am. Thanks Phil!!!
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Banksia Nut Handles Revisited
Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: May 31, 2022 11:44AM

Mark,

I love it - very unique / burl like look. What did you use to seal it with? It makes the colors really stand out.

Best Regards,
Aleks

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: May 31, 2022 02:32PM

Aleks, if you are referring to the color filled pockets, it is sealed with Truoil.

Date: May 31, 2022 03:25PM

Aleks,
The first two photos are my plain-Jane handle, pockets unfilled and sanded bare wood with no finish. The third photo is Phil’s very nice half Wells handle from 12 years ago, pockets filled with colored epoxy and a True Oil finish. I want to be just like Phil when I grow up lol.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: May 31, 2022 05:53PM

Mark, watch what you wish for! There are often surprises!

really glad you did the Banksia pod. They are very unique, I know of nothing else like them.

Wood turners do amazing things with them.

Date: May 31, 2022 08:13PM

Phil,
From our off-site Banksia conversations, apparently you were correct in that you found very little interest for a Banksia nut handle from your customers. You, me and apparently Aleks may be the only ones who appreciate the profound beauty. Granted, they certainly are not the lightest handle, but they're not THAT heavy. And yes, they are time-consuming and messy to produce. While they may not become my go-to handle, I am so glad to learn of their unique appearance to adorn those “special” rods. Again, thanks for introducing me!
While it is safe to say that the majority of Banksia nuts end-up turned on a lathe, I have seen a few wood crafters who “slab” them to make small boxes, and they are quite attractive as well.
Oh well, you and I did our part to introduce the possibilities of using Banksia nuts in rod building; to each their own; beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: June 02, 2022 01:34AM

This is the first I am seeing anything about this material. I will agree it looks amazing. I've never done a wooden handle, aside from just refinishing one on an old boat rod. This would be a perfect compliment on a "special" rod for somebody. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster