I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
NFC decal help (Aleks?)
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 29, 2022 07:10PM

Just got a MB 709 IM from NFC. Very nice straight blank and it did arrive promptly after ordering. I have no experience with this decal, anyone know how they are to be applied? I can usually follow instructions, should I receive any! I only get one shot at it. Lol

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC decal help (Aleks?)
Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: May 29, 2022 07:23PM

Pull it apart using a sharp pick on the end of the decal. The decal has 3 parts. Once you pull it apart, the decal itself will adhere to the top part. Place that onto the rod. Rub it in and lift off the applicator part slowly.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: May 29, 2022 07:41PM

Mark is correct, it is a a three part decal. Peel off the bottom layer and stick the decal onto the blank. You can now burnish the label to the blank to remove any air bubbles and firmly affix it to blank. The top layer protects the label during the burnishing. After the label is firmly in place remove the upper protective layer and you are ready to go. I have not found the need to seal the label with CP. I just coat with finish and have not had a problem with the label lifting.
Norm

Date: May 29, 2022 09:06PM

Wow! No grass growin' on you guys! Thx.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: May 29, 2022 09:35PM

No need for epoxy under the decal? Even on the Xray blanks with ridges?

Any other tips? I have never put a decal on.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 29, 2022 10:29PM

Lynn .... I'm curious? What does it say the action is? The decals I got with both of my blanks said fast action. It's listed as having a moderate fast action on the web site. I came up with an AA of 68 when I did CCS testing on the first rod I built on that blank. Also, while I can't find it now, but I remember seeing CCS numbers that showed it as having an AA of 62, if I remember correctly.

Either way, it is definitely not a fast action blank. I would actually consider putting the decals on the two I have, if it said moderate fast action.

Anyhow, curious as to what yours' says.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: May 29, 2022 11:57PM

Russ -

I would definitely apply a coat of finish on the X-ray blanks/ delta blanks before the decals.

The rest you can apply directly onto the blank as mentioned by others above.

Russell Brunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No need for epoxy under the decal? Even on the
> Xray blanks with ridges?
>
> Any other tips? I have never put a decal on.

Date: May 30, 2022 12:03AM

David,

The specs on the blank are here:

[northforkcomposites.com]

It’s a mag heavy / mod fast , with an internal ERN measurement of 27.28 and an AA of 63.70

David Baylor Wrote:
> Lynn .... I'm curious? What does it say the action
> is? The decals I got with both of my blanks said
> fast action. It's listed as having a moderate fast
> action on the web site. I came up with an AA of 68
> when I did CCS testing on the first rod I built on
> that blank. Also, while I can't find it now, but I
> remember seeing CCS numbers that showed it as
> having an AA of 62, if I remember correctly.
>
> Either way, it is definitely not a fast action
> blank. I would actually consider putting the
> decals on the two I have, if it said moderate fast
> action.
>
> Anyhow, curious as to what yours' says.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 30, 2022 06:36AM

Aleks, thank you for responding. And yes, as I said in the post you quoted. The blank is listed as having a moderate fast action. And with the kind of CCS numbers you posted for it, it clearly is. But that's not what either of the decals I received with my blanks said. The decals both say fast action. All the other specs on the decals match those on the web site. I took a picture of the decal I received with the most MB 709 IM blank I bought. As you can see, it lists the action as fast.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I absolutely love the rods I've built on the blanks. And I'd actually put the decals on both of the rods if they listed the correct action. It's just a shame that when fellow anglers check out my rods, I have to tell them what it is, instead of them being able to read it for themselves.

It's amazing how many guys evidently need to see a decal on a rod before they'll believe what it is ...... oh well.

Posted by: Wade Hirai (---)
Date: May 30, 2022 10:15AM

David,
I have that blank and my decal says fast as well.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 30, 2022 02:10PM

They appear to be just like Decal Connection decals. My rule for undercoats: If the blank has a gloss finish, no undercoat needed. If it is sanded, ridged or not glossy it gets an epoxy undercoat. I also always put CP over the decal and the edges to prevent resin lifting the edges. It will save you a lot of heartache. I can make decals so the Mod-Fast thing isn't a big deal, but there is some merit to a complete accurate description on the designated decal.

Date: May 30, 2022 02:50PM

100% We only use Decal Connection.

Lance Schreckenbach Wrote:
> They appear to be just like Decal Connection
> decals. My rule for undercoats: If the blank has a
> gloss finish, no undercoat needed. If it is
> sanded, ridged or not glossy it gets an epoxy
> undercoat. I also always put CP over the decal and
> the edges to prevent resin lifting the edges. It
> will save you a lot of heartache. I can make
> decals so the Mod-Fast thing isn't a big deal, but
> there is some merit to a complete accurate
> description on the designated decal.

Date: May 30, 2022 02:52PM

Thank you - I've let the folks in the office know that its missing "mod" - we will get re-prints next week.

If you have not already built on it - we can send a replacement.

Thanks,
Aleks

David Baylor Wrote:
> Aleks, thank you for responding. And yes, as I
> said in the post you quoted. The blank is listed
> as having a moderate fast action. And with the
> kind of CCS numbers you posted for it, it clearly
> is. But that's not what either of the decals I
> received with my blanks said. The decals both say
> fast action. All the other specs on the decals
> match those on the web site. I took a picture of
> the decal I received with the most MB 709 IM blank
> I bought. As you can see, it lists the action as
> fast.
>
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
> p?photo=21999&cat=506
>
> I absolutely love the rods I've built on the
> blanks. And I'd actually put the decals on both of
> the rods if they listed the correct action. It's
> just a shame that when fellow anglers check out my
> rods, I have to tell them what it is, instead of
> them being able to read it for themselves.
>
> It's amazing how many guys evidently need to see a
> decal on a rod before they'll believe what it is
> ...... oh well.

Date: May 30, 2022 04:47PM

Dave, my decal says fast as well and I was not happy about that either. As a matter of fact that was the first thing that annoyed me. I went back to the catalog (did I get the wrong blank, or the wrong decal?) All 709's are moderate fast so I had the right blank, also when we put a bend in it, it was obvious it wasn't fast. (so I had a decal with incorrect info, it causes confusion and should not happen) Second was the fact that it came without instructions. Aleks, I would like a corrected decal sent to me please. MB 709-1 IM, order #19716 4/26. Do you need anything else? Maybe let us know when you send them out if you can that might help me decide if I should wait for it. In the meantime I'll work around it. Thx, Lynn

Date: May 30, 2022 07:24PM

Lynn,

Send me a note to alex@northforkcomposites.com and I will get my team to help.

Best,
Aleks

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 30, 2022 09:02PM

Wade, I suspected that anyone getting that blank would have the same decal I and Lynn got. It's had to have been that way for quite some time, as I built my first rod on the MB 709 IM blank somewhere around 3 years ago.

And Lynn .... yep, that's why I asked. Lynn, what are your initial impressions of the blank? I love the power and action that it has. As I have said many times in the past. I have extreme confidence that if I stick a fish up close and personal with that blank, that baby is coming in the boat. I love it, and the sensitivity is outstanding. Not quite X ray level, but there aren't many blanks that are.

And Aleks .... thank you for the response and offer. Although I am a little confused when you say send out a replacement? The only thing I would need is a replacement for is the decals for the 2 MB 709 IM blanks I have rods built on. There is and was nothing wrong with either of the blanks I've gotten, and I absolutely love the rods I have built on them.

I would definitely be interested in getting new decals for them once you get the new corrected decals in. Let me know how I would go about doing that. I'm afraid I don't have the order information that Lynn supplied, though. I just don't hold onto that kind of stuff very long.

Anyhow, .. let me know. And thank you again for the response and your attention to this matter. It's very comforting to know.

Date: May 30, 2022 09:48PM

Dave, thanks for setting this in motion! Saw your question to Gary, nice goin'!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 30, 2022 11:01PM

Back to the subject, there is a youtube video on NFC decal installation. Steelhead Stalkers did it.

Date: May 31, 2022 06:40PM

Spencer, I saw that video, it's 11 years old. Thought something may have changed by now. Thx

Date: May 31, 2022 06:49PM

David, I bought this blank due to your description of it a short while back. Sounded like just what I was after and it is. Thx I'm very happy with it and the kid thinks it's gonna be good also. Took both of us to put a good bend in it, but it bends nicely back toward the reel.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster