I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt Wrap Questions
Posted by: Steve Stolle (192.104.120.---)
Date: May 25, 2022 08:38PM

Ok , let me say up front this is my first effort at doing research on this topic . I just did a 3 color diamond butt wrap. I took my time and packed, packed , and packed some more. The wrap before epoxy looked odd to me . One of the colors I used was a light green and the light green thread in the wrap was lighter in color than the same light green thread that was used to make trim bands on the butt wrap . I am trying to analize why this happened, possible causes. Could thread tension be a possible contributer? Any thoughts would be appreciated . Also with threat tension in mind how do you guys hold your spools of thread when you do decorative wraps? I mean do you hold the thread spool in your hand or mounted to a thread wrapper ? I would love to find a way to wrap and have both hands free when I need to pack plus be able to consistantly regulate thread tension .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt Wrap Questions
Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: May 26, 2022 08:20AM

With light regular thread colors, the underlying blank or thread colors (especially dark colors) will bleed through making the surface threads appear darker than how they look on the spool. Metallic or NCP threads have little bleed through. I hold the spool in my hand for cross wraps. Some use fly tying thread bobbins accommodating the cross wrap angles. Double stick carpet tape (cut off during tie off) on both ends of the wrap frees your hands after a sequence for packing.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: May 26, 2022 10:01AM

From time to time I will deal with an old spool of thread. Sometimes its some from my stock. Sometimes its a new spool I just bought...the just happens to be an old spool from stock.
That being said...thread will fade when exposed to UV. What I will do sometimes is pull off all the thread thats exposed first.
Not 100% sure if thats your problems...but it is one source of a thread being two colorish.

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 26, 2022 10:37AM

As far as packing goes Steve....I hold the spool in my hand as I think most do. After several passes no more than 6 for me.....I tape off the thread...cut it and pack with both hands free.....then you have to refresh your 2 face masking tape and repeat.
Not sure how you are setting up for butt wraps if you can't do this.

Posted by: Steve Stolle (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 27, 2022 10:34AM

Thank you for the replies . I would have answered sooner but yesterday was a travel day for me . It soundsl ike from your replies I am wrapping like most of you do. I hold the spool of thread in my hands and after every 2 passes I pack . I have a tendency to stretch the thread a bit as I wrap was why I mentioned thread tension as a culprit to fading colors. This is only my second wrap , I stayed with a diamond pattern for simplicity . The wrap is light colored thread on a slate colored blank . The first wrap I did was a chevron pattern ,again keeping it simple . The first wrap came out pretty good you had to look close to tell it was individual threads it was orange thread on a black blank. The second wrap came out just ok , after epoxy a close look revealed individual threads pretty easily . In the hand it looks good but up close you can see individual threads. I was hoping for better results as I spent a good amount of time wrapping and packing. . A bobbin may be a solution to thread tension as i wrap . My personal goal is to get good enough to sell rods . More studying will definately be in order .

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: May 27, 2022 05:52PM

Stretching the thread on cross wraps makes it harder to pack them close to each other. An under wrap before doing the pattern helps keeps the packed threads tight as the under wrap is not as slippery as the blank.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2022 09:58AM

Do you think one or. two coats of CP just on the blank would reduce yarn slippage when wrapping and making packing easier and better? Maybe the CP will give the thread a little softer surface to bite into.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2022 10:26AM by ben belote.

Posted by: Steve Stolle (208.30.124.---)
Date: May 29, 2022 07:50PM

Do many of you guys use an underwrap ? That could give interesting effect on open wraps . How many here subscribte to " Rodbuilder Magazine" ?

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 31, 2022 02:51PM

Nobody mentioned burnishing.

Posted by: Steve Stolle (208.30.124.---)
Date: June 01, 2022 08:44AM

I did burnish the wrap my issue is the threads almost seem translucent and they lost some color . I was surprised that happened . The wrap came out ok it just isnt as bright as I had hoped.

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.ptr.ziplyfiber.com)
Date: June 17, 2022 01:40AM

I made a simple tool out of a 4x6 inch piece of wood and a sewing bobbin, Simply secure the bobble to the wood with a scraw and when finishing your butt wrap, just wind your thread around the bobbin two or three times and let your bobbin hang down it's that easy.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Steve Stolle (192.104.120.---)
Date: June 17, 2022 10:07AM

You have me curious Glenn . What does this tool accomplish ? Could you give me more detail please ? Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster