I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cast further
Posted by: Kevin Landers (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: May 23, 2022 11:38AM

The MW25 guide system is the most comprehensive set of MicroWave guides yet. Specifically designed to cast heavier braided, monofilament, and fluorocarbon fishing lines. Can be used with standard light rod applications but ideal for use on inshore, nearshore, or offshore rods as well as on longer rods or with larger reel sizes.

Patented Award Winning Line Control Technology
Increased strength and material gauge
Vector-angle crease for increased rigidity
Snagless frame design
High ring location
25mm primary ring and 8mm secondary ring stripper guide
Utilizes 6mm running guides for passing large leader knots
Strong 316SS frames available w/Nanolite and Duralite rings
Available in Chrome, TiON Titanium or Black Diamond finishes

[www.americantackle.us]

Kevin Landers

Marketing Manager
American Tackle Co.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cast further
Posted by: Bob Ginther (---.stormvip.com)
Date: May 23, 2022 12:42PM

Hello Kevin, what are your thoughts on using the 8mm running guides with the MW50 system on a 12 foot rod with a large Shimano 14000 size spinning reel? I know the MW50 set comes with 12mm runners. But they look so big...!

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: May 23, 2022 02:38PM

If going with a microwave system I much much prefer the 25, 8, 6 which is being advertised in this thread . I use either a 25, 10 , 5 or a 25, 12, 6 transition train and it's currently on all my surf rods and it works better than any other setup I've tried and I'm using a long cast reel with a 76 mm spool diameter . The ONLY reason it works so well is because I use braid in the 10 to 14 pound range .

Line choice decides everything.

Posted by: Kevin Landers (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: May 23, 2022 05:24PM

It depends a lot on the application of the build. The bigger the runners the easier it is to pass a leader knot however if you are not doing that then I don't see why going down to a 8mm would be an issue. You would have to buy the other runners extra as the MW50 is a set.

Kevin Landers

Marketing Manager
American Tackle Co.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 23, 2022 07:19PM

Cast farther.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 25, 2022 08:41AM

The flexibility and therefore the "cast-ability" of monofilament line varies considerably, depending upon the water temperature and the ambient temperature when it is being used. One sized guide train is not the best choice for all. It makes sense to consider and adapt to the conditions where a rod will be used.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: May 27, 2022 02:40PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The flexibility and therefore the "cast-ability"
> of monofilament line varies considerably,
> depending upon the water temperature and the
> ambient temperature when it is being used. One
> sized guide train is not the best choice for all.
> It makes sense to consider and adapt to the
> conditions where a rod will be used.

That's why it's prudent to always carry your atmospheric weather instrumentation wherever you go to make sure you rebuild the rod right before each outing to make sure the build matches what the current weather conditions indicate at that time. Good point Phil

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 28, 2022 02:57PM

c.c.:

I do just that, but I look at the calendar and the weather report instead of carrying a machine. This alerts me to the probable ambient temperature where and when I plan to fish. The predicted temperature shapes not only the clothes I wear but the rod and line, even the flies, or lures I select. I take it you scoff at such precautions? That's what I used to do - when I was much younger!

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---)
Date: May 28, 2022 04:26PM

Weather conditions change through out the day and in some States those conditions can be extreme. I never use mono line so I don't worry what the ambient weather will be for my fishing equipment like rods, reels, and lures. Since I always fish from my boat I have plenty of storage for anything I might need through out the trip so i am not relegated to one set of rules for weather. One line of thought doesn't fit all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster