I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Invisible Wraps (Revisited)
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 15, 2022 04:30PM

In the search that I ran here, I got a related topic that I posted 4 years ago and the next most recent after that was over 10 years ago. So, I am inquiring as to what the most current opinions might be for the best thread to use for “invisible wraps”.
I cannot read the name of the Japanese silk (YLI?) that I purchased 4 years ago. While it worked, it just wasn’t quite as clear as other invisible wraps I have seen. Apparently, the Holy Grail of silk thread was Pearsall’s Gossamer which hasn’t been in production for quite a few years. If I remember correctly, there were those who had good results with Hitena.
So, what are your present opinions of the best silk thread to produce the clearest invisible wraps? If Gossamer is still considered the best, does anyone have a spool that they are willing to sell? Also, what are your opinions on using PG rather than a thin version of typical thread wrapping epoxy?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Invisible Wraps (Revisited)
Posted by: Shawn Mattson (---)
Date: May 15, 2022 05:42PM

I've yet to finish a guide with PG, I have some that I'll be experimenting with though I'm curious as to what people have to say about it, seems that the PG crowd is small but loyal in it's use.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 15, 2022 07:10PM

Mark, check this. [hitenausa.com]

Date: May 15, 2022 07:19PM

Shawn,
It is pretty safe to say that the vast majority of wraps are coated with thread finish epoxy. For the minimalist trying to save every grain of weight, PG is so thin that it should provide the lightest finished results. For those desiring a more protective “lens”, finish epoxy is probably a better bet. Without any supportive data of the cured thickness, I would approximate that 4 coats of PG would equal 1 coat of light (thin) viscosity epoxy applied sparingly. It is my understanding that Ralph O’Quinn developed PG as a blank AND thread finish for split cane bamboo rods. The few times I have used PG (2 coats) as a thread coating, the results were very nice albeit not as protected from nicks as a thicker coat of epoxy would provide. So PG can work very well as a thread finish.
The reason I inquired about using PG for an invisible wrap was simply to learn how it reacts with the (silk) thread in an invisible wrap compared to epoxy; maybe it is better (clearer), maybe not = I don’t know, hence the question. PG is so thin that it could penetrate the thread easier to fill the tunnels, but it goes-off so quickly that maybe it does not have enough time to thoroughly fill the tunnels; again, I don’t know. I have heard of builders thinning the epoxy, but I am not a proponent of doing such. As always, I am here to learn.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: May 15, 2022 07:27PM

Lynn,
Thanks for the reply. That certainly appears to be very clear. That’s 1 vote for Hitena. Excuse my ignorance, but how does their size “4A” compare to, say, ProWrap size A?

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 15, 2022 11:42PM

Both of the Hitena silk sizes are smaller than Gossamer which is 6/0 thread, 4A is 12/0 and 3A is 8/0 approximately so in theory they should give a clearer result. Strength should be fine as you will have far more wraps per guide.

Date: May 16, 2022 12:23AM

Spencer,
Thanks for your input as well.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 18, 2022 07:26PM

Mark, I have no clue on the dia. thing! Email Gabriel at Hitena USA. He's very helpful. All I know about silk thread is that natural silk is the best color to make disappear.

Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.raintreegraphics.com)
Date: May 23, 2022 07:00AM

Mark, I was going after that look a month or so ago and tried the Permagloss and YLI thread on a light gray blank and it looked pretty good but was not invisible like I'd hoped. I put the project on hold and I haven't tried anything else yet but I hope to get back to it soon.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2022 08:06AM

For invisible try slipping the guide under a piece of clear surgical tubing the length of the guide foot back it up with a short piece butted up against the ring end to stabilize the guide some. a true nothread wrap..lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster