I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Just a bit curious: Spincasting rod?
Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.net)
Date: May 13, 2022 12:20PM

Every once in a while, I have an urge to do a trip where the gear I am using is pretty much a "throw back". In my arsenal of reels, I still have a Johnson Century and an Abu-Matic 170. (And, somewhere a friend's son still has my Zebco 33). However, I have found modern baitcasting reel seats to be less than ideal. Back in the day, rods for spincasting reels did not employ a "blank through" design. The reel seat was below the axis of the rod, which put the line port of the reel in line with the rod's guides. So, my first question is: does anyone make such a reel seat today? Also, 60 years ago, my first spincasting rod was solid fiber glass and made by True Temper. In as much as only a few inches of the blank were in the rod's handle, solid fiber glass (and even hollow fiberglass) worked. I am unsure if modern graphite blanks would work with so little of the blank enclosed. Would such a short section of a graphite blank handle the sress? So, does anyone have any thoughts about this. It won't break my heart if this project won't materialize, but I thought it might be interesting. Thanks for any replies.

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just a bit curious: Spincasting rod?
Posted by: Ladd Flock (---)
Date: May 13, 2022 03:46PM

None made today. Here's one for sale - 60 years old:

BASS HANDLER CUSTOM PISTOL GRIP HANDLE WITH TRIGGER FOR BAITCASTING & SPINCASTING REELS

[berinsontackle.com]

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 13, 2022 04:05PM

Hunter,
Sorry, but I cannot help you. But I was intrigued with the vintage seat that Ladd posted; now I know where Tom K. got the inspiration for his homemade version.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 13, 2022 04:32PM

You could fabricate something akin to the old handles with a bit of ingenuity.

Most graphite rods feature reasonably thick walls at the extreme butt and would likely hold up just fine if fitted with a butt ferrule. You wouldn't want to chuck them directly into a handle chuck, of course.

It's probably been 20 years since rod blanks were taylor made for the old 5-1/2 to 6 foot baitcasting style rods but you might get lucky and find some older blanks that a dealer has sitting around collecting dust. Most of these will be either 4'8" or 5'2" in length. Fitted with a handle they become either 5-1/2 or 6 foot rods.

The most likely type handle and ferrule to find is going to be the old Fuji types with the NA or A ferrule. Ask you dealer or post on the buy-sell page and see what folks might have.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 13, 2022 06:00PM

Hello Tom

Would a solid glass rod blank work?

Thanks.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 13, 2022 06:55PM

Probably, but most of the handles he's likely to find are made to chuck the matching butt ferrule.

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.net)
Date: May 13, 2022 06:58PM

A big thank you for all your comments. It was only a bit of a whim on my part, but I think it would have been a fun project. If nothing else, down the road I would have had a nice rig to give to a kid just learning to fish. Maybe I'll find something at a yard sale which can be re-purposed. Again, thanks everyone!

And, Ladd Flock, that is an interesting looking reel seat. I don't think it meets my needs, but I'm glad you posted it!

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2022 07:04PM by Hunter Armstrong.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 14, 2022 07:53AM

Hunter,
All well and good as you have written.

But, invariably, with the very short rear grip and the weight of the solid glass blank made every one of these rods very tip heavy. Of course if the rod was only 5 feet long, the tip weight issue was somewhat mitigated.

If you really want to do the project, you can shop good will and other thrift stores to come across such a 50 year old rod that was given away.

Sure a spin casting reel can be used if you wish - but to what end?

If you want the reel on the underside of the rod, simply purchase a $5 spinning reel and tape it onto the rod, or use a reel seat set up to work with the reel in question and go fishing with it when you are done with the project.

======================
Here are reviews of "Under spin" casting reels for "2022".
[castandspear.com]

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 20, 2022 06:17PM

Hang in there!
We have some "New Old Stock" quality drop seat Graphite trigger seat handles, all complete.
All have cork grips installed, 7" to 9" lengths, slightly angled down on the grip end.
Takes sz 20 butt cap, sz 16 reel seat, locking Graphite fore-grip, Gold hoods.
They were specially made for some higher end rods back in the day.
I will have pics and specs in the next few days.
Watch our "Hot Specials" page and announcement here when they go up.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster