I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod repair help please
Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.37.nulinkdigital.com)
Date: May 11, 2022 03:35PM

A friend brought me a Shimano casting rod that he bass fishes with. He sad that the reelseat was spinning on the rod blank. After taking a look at it, I have determined that the whole handle assembly is one piece from the fore grip to the butt, and the rod blank has been fitted and glued inside the handle. The blank is spinning inside the handle for sure, and the blank has migrated out of the handle about 1 inch. It is so tight, I can't get the blank to spin or move at all. I need to push the blank back inside the handle and then I can drill a couple holes in the reelseat and get some epoxy in there to secure the blank and handle assembly again. I tried heating up the reelseat some with a heatgun with no luck, any of you guys got any tricks up your sleeves that I can try?

Thank you,

Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod repair help please
Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: May 11, 2022 05:11PM

Try just dropping it on the floor (vertical)...the weight and the vibration may just release it.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (185.240.244.---)
Date: May 11, 2022 05:52PM

Chris Catignani Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Try just dropping it on the floor (vertical)...the
> weight and the vibration may just release it.

Unless the handle migrated down.
Herb

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: May 11, 2022 09:39PM

I tried dropping the rod as Chris mentioned, did not work. There is an aluminum winding check glued onto the blank that should be up against the reelseat, but it is about an inch away. This is what makes me think that the blank has migrated out of the handle assembly.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 11, 2022 10:44PM

Fire up the O'l steam kettle and see if you can loosen her up in that area.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 11, 2022 11:03PM

If that happened with just about anyone's custom rod on this site, they would be contemplating a serious life change. If that was a rod I built, I would just quit building after I replaced it for free. That exact thing is why I started building all my own rods. Just think, Shimano bought G Loomis. Hopefully they left it alone, without any changes. Steve, drill and inject, I believe this one has some history on this site as far as how to do this type of repair. It should be in the archives.

Date: May 11, 2022 11:31PM

Lance, I am familiar with the repair, I just can't get the blank loose to slide it back into the handle assembly.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 12, 2022 06:34AM

Steve, the inertia trick didn't do it? That sounds like the best approach.

Date: May 12, 2022 06:34AM

Steve, the inertia trick didn't do it? That sounds like the best approach.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: May 12, 2022 07:12AM

Sounds like a perfect situation for experimentation. Try boiling the handle for as long as it takes to soften the glue.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 12, 2022 10:52AM

Steve,
If you really want to fix it, just take a dremel tool with an abrasive cut off wheel and run it the full length of the handle on each side. Then, put a flat bladed screwdriver into the crack and give it a twist. The handle will split and it will be off the rod.
Chuck the handle, and build a new one sizing it, and using arbors on the rod blank so that you can slip the handle on rod from the butt end of the blank.

Or, just cut off the aluminum winding chuck from its position on the rod. Drill a couple of holes in the handle to allow you to inject epoxy. Inject the epoxy and as you do, spin the handle around the blank to have all sides of the blank coated. Set aside and let the epoxy cure.

Then, just to a butt wrap against the handle to give the rod its finished look and apply thread finish on the wrap and you will be good to go.

So, a couple of options to take care of the rod.

By the way, a couple of my friends have a rod that appears to be identical to the rod you are working on. When pitching 1/8th to 1/4 oz jig for walleye, this was the rod that they always wanted to use. They have caught literally hundreds of Walleye on this particular Shimano rod. Wonderful action and a real fish catcher.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 12, 2022 01:13PM

Roger's answer is what I would also do with my Dremel tool and and a diamond cutting disc, if it just won't come off. Don't let the aluminum winding check get too hot, do it in short spurts, letting it cool between cutting.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 12, 2022 01:24PM

Hello Steve.

If you have a turkey cooker, dump the oil clean it out and fill with water up to the winding check and boil it for a little while (5-10 minutes) then slam it down on it's butt and see if that check is where it should be and the handle is loose.

Hope that helps.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2022 09:31AM

Heat makes things expand or get tighter,,try placing in front of air conditioner vent..cold contracts tnings

Date: May 14, 2022 12:42AM

I'm headed to Florida for a couple days, I'll get serious with this thing when I get back home next Tuesday. Gonna try some steam and A/C before I cut anything off. If i could get it to spin where it sits I would leave it there but this thing is locked up. Thanks for all the input.

Date: May 14, 2022 07:34AM

It is not clear to me if you have confirmed that it is locked on the winding check. Or somewhere else. ??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster