I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Zen-like experience available
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 10, 2022 08:51AM

Hey Phil, notice this new fly rod development?

"Finding that state of fishing in the moment, where instinct and experience bring us to an almost zen-like awareness of each subtle motion and movement—that’s what R8 is all about. It’s not a race, but a state we all aim to reach out on the water. With R8 we enhance that two-way connection from hand to fly and back for greater feel, flow, and control."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Zen-like experience available
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 10, 2022 09:49AM

My experience is, never poke a sleeping dog.

Have fun
John

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: May 10, 2022 02:38PM

Just got to get one of those! Maybe two..

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 10, 2022 07:29PM

Your only allowed to purchase 1 oz at a time in Jersey.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Tim I. Johnson (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 11, 2022 07:43AM

Thats too funny Dennis

Posted by: Alex purvis (108.175.200.---)
Date: May 11, 2022 08:37AM

But what about their pure graphite???

“The advanced, leading-edge material behind R8 enables us to shape a rod with a stiffer, stronger backbone but a more sensitive tip and more connected feel. The secret is twofold. First, a proprietary aerospace composite with a greater hoop strength enables us to dimensionally grow taper diameter more quickly from the tip—while a nano-sintered resin application increases axial resilience and allows us to pack more fiber into the blank, resulting in that true two-way connection from hand to fly and back for greater feel, flow and control.”

Posted by: Daniel Grundvig (---)
Date: May 11, 2022 10:49AM

I get a kick out of these advertising departments. I swear they use a random buzz-word generator to come up with these descriptions- words like leading-edge, advanced, secret, proprietary, aerospace, nano, etc. Proprietary aerospace composite? The composite formula is proprietary but the composite is not. If you've got the money you can buy some of this proprietary "unobtanium" (Toray, etc.). The auto manufacturers use proprietary engine technology in their cars but driving on the freeway the other day, I sure noticed that cars weren't rare. When my wife's 10 year old Honda CR-V was passed, I realized it was time to buy an "advanced, leading-edge" truck with a "stiffer, stronger backbone" with hood/fenders constructed of "proprietary aerospace composites" with "nano-sintered resins." It will obviously corner better because of the "increased axial resilience." Let's not tell my wife though because the "secret is two-fold." Firstly, I don't want to spend $100K and secondly, as soon as I buy it, some advertiser would try to tell me that their new "advanced, leading-edge" product replaces their "advanced, leading-edge" product of a month ago. Ok, I'll go quietly.

Posted by: Alex purvis (---.sub-174-216-14.myvzw.com)
Date: May 11, 2022 01:43PM

I am on vacation right now and walked into a fly shop today and was looking at a bunch of rods in the $900 to $1200 price range (not to buy, just looking). I’m not going to name any names but all rods were from major us companies and I was inspecting the wraps and epoxy work on these rods just to see how my stuff compared to $1000 rods. I get it’s purely cosmetic but most of the rods I handled were sloppy! Uneven wraps, untrimmed tag ends, uneven finish, bubbles in finish, a guide out of alignment.

I would be upset spending that kind of money for rods that had some of the mistakes on them that I saw today. I get that not everyone knows to pay attention to those kind of things also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2022 03:45PM by Alex purvis.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 11, 2022 04:40PM

Michael,
Dare I ask which Phil you were calling-out to? Ouch, I just felt a bunch of you slapping me!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: May 11, 2022 06:33PM

No , Mark, you may not ask. :-)

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 12, 2022 09:33AM

Michael? Why? Or to put it another way ............. 'c'mon man"

Date: May 12, 2022 09:48AM

I was just kidding. I think everyone knows the answer to Mark's question. I know he does.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 12, 2022 07:29PM

No Michael .... I was referring to post you used to start this thread ........ it's like being alone in the woods and you suddenly feel like you're being watched. Either by someone, or some thing. You might be armed, but it still gives you chills. lol

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 13, 2022 06:46PM

Buying (or building) an expensive fly-rod won't make you a better fly-caster - even if you truly believe fly rod advertisements. On the other hand, a few fly-casting lessons from a competent casting instructor - particularly if you learn to double haul - will make you a better fly fisher, with results that can actually be measured.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---)
Date: May 14, 2022 05:05AM

There is zero proof that learning the double haul cast will make your catch rate go up or make you a better fisherman. Leading people to believe their catch rate will improve by the double haul is akin to many other advertising claims, pure bunk. If you have data to refute this, please post the links.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: May 14, 2022 02:09PM

The other Phil has a fixation on "double hauling" like someone who just learned the technique! He inserts it in many of his responses, where it is absolutely irrelevant!

Double hauling has it's place, when using it to increase the length of cast, not an everyday occurrence.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 14, 2022 03:59PM

I am only repeating the opinions of big water fly fishing guides I have encountered. If you fish in small enough waters you may not need to learn any kind of fly casting at all. My fly fishing these days is in the sea and in estuaries, where double-haul casting ability is a substantial asset. I find that accomplished big-water fly anglers are mostly double-haulers, and they double haul even on short casts. Some years ago I discovered that fly casting techniques (such as double-hauling) have a much greater impact on fly fishing success than spending more money on rod blanks and rod components.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2022 04:13PM

Phil, if you make a fly cast and hold the line in one hand and rod in the other you are hauling and most likely double hauling too..you may not know it but you are or the line would drop
To the ground

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---)
Date: May 14, 2022 04:39PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am only repeating the opinions of big water fly
> fishing guides I have encountered. If you fish in
> small enough waters you may not need to learn any
> kind of fly casting at all. My fly fishing these
> days is in the sea and in estuaries, where
> double-haul casting ability is a substantial
> asset. I find that accomplished big-water fly
> anglers are mostly double-haulers, and they double
> haul even on short casts. Some years ago I
> discovered that fly casting techniques (such as
> double-hauling) have a much greater impact on fly
> fishing success than spending more money on rod
> blanks and rod components.

So just like advertisers you are stating opinion with no valid numerical measurements. You are spouting the same nonsense you rail against. How ironic of you.

Date: May 17, 2022 08:09AM

"Double hauling has it's place, when using it to increase the length of cast, not an everyday occurrence." I agree with this statement. It is certainly true for me at my level of casting expertise.

Although I doubt if it contributes to the zen-like experience. That only comes from buying a new $1000 fly rod. :-)

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster