I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

For Aleks Maslov
Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: May 06, 2022 11:54AM

I ordered a pair of SLJ 694-1 (XRay LMX) blanks. I am looking for more information on these blanks before I build them. Looking for guide spacing (not in the site table) and also a few questions on reel seats . I tried calling and e-mailing the office but haven't got a response yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: For Aleks Maslov
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 06, 2022 02:37PM

Use the guide spacing used on one of the other spinning rod patterns, last page of charts at the top of the page MB694-1, if you pre-select 100 selections. Problems I see with charts, you have,to have a place to start, you have to know where the reel is when they made the chart, this means you need to know which length rear grip was used and what reel seat was put in front of the grip and it's orientation, up, or down locking.
These are all your choices, how would anyone else know?
If I was going to use a chart, and I never do, I would use a Batson chart for that length and style rod, at least than you have an idea of the complete build they use to deliver the info you want. You know every part, size, type and where they were put.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2022 02:39PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2022 03:04PM

When I first started rrod building I studied the commercial rods in local shops to get a feel for guide number and spacing..and purchased a couple
Lures on the way out..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2022 03:17PM by ben belote.

Date: May 06, 2022 03:20PM

Thanks, Spencer and ben. Those are some of the questions I want clarification of. I know I can build it without a chart, but at least the chart will give me some guidance especially on the runners.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: May 06, 2022 06:36PM

layout charts are a good starting point, especially for those without a lot experience. Then move on to the static test.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: May 07, 2022 10:55AM

Mark,

Thanks for the note - (and thank you for purchasing the blanks) please let me know what your feedback is on them, and feel free to share your thoughts with the folks here:

5sf 2 3/4
5sf 6
5sf 9 5/8
5sf 13 3/4
5sf 18 1/2
6sf 23 1/2
6sf 29
6df 35
8df 41 1/2
10df 48 1/2

Is what I have in my notes from a personal build...I am working on a build now, and I plan on spiral wrapping the rod to see what difference, if any it makes on the torque of this rod when I take them both to jig for Albacore in June.

Best Regards,
Aleks

Mark Brassett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I ordered a pair of SLJ 694-1 (XRay LMX) blanks.
> I am looking for more information on these blanks
> before I build them. Looking for guide spacing
> (not in the site table) and also a few questions
> on reel seats . I tried calling and e-mailing the
> office but haven't got a response yet. Any help
> would be appreciated.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: May 07, 2022 01:22PM

" I plan on spiral wrapping the rod to see what difference, if any it makes on the torque of this rod when I take them both to jig for Albacore in June. "

Yes it will make a difference, a HUGE difference. Not a matter of opinion, a matter of physics.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: May 07, 2022 03:05PM

Mike,

We are sold on spiral wrapping, and offer a rod series that is entirely spiral wrapped - the hardest part about it is explaining to the consumer the benefits when the rod is in a rack, or purchased online.

To better rephrase the statement - I'm building both rods to jig for Albacore, and there is still one (size 10) that will probably be at 45 degrees, which will still be pulled downward by an angry 20+ pound missile...and there is nothing like personal experience of what "less' torque feels like.

Thanks for the comment,

Aleks

Date: May 07, 2022 03:17PM

Thanks, Aleks. I should have specified it being a spinning set up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster