I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex coat power wrapper review
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 06, 2022 08:11AM

I just checked out this flex coat power wrapper review from 2020.

Since I have one of these wrappers I have to agree completely with everything mentioned on the review.

Excellent product.

[www.youtube.com]

Take care

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex coat power wrapper review
Posted by: John Cates (Moderator)
Date: May 06, 2022 10:47AM

So let it be written, so let it be done...

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Bob Foster (207.189.245.---)
Date: May 08, 2022 12:09AM

Hello all,

First post for me here. New to the rod building world with about 9 builds to date, 6 of which were on a crb handwrapper kit from MH. The latest three are on the dc777 flexcoat wrapper.

My purchase of this unit was a bit of a stretch to be honest but once i got it in my head i wanted a power wrapper there was no turning back. It took me quite awhile to finally decide on this wrapper but I liked the way the thread carriage was free to slide under the rod supports, the flexibility of the controls and the aesthetic of it.

The first couple of rods I was feeling a little sheepish because I used it as a hand wrapper (it's an awesome hand wrapper) and kind of ignored the foot control. Somewhere near the end of the second rod i decided to explore the foot control feature and I have to say I love it. I set it to run quite slowly, about hand wrapping speed, and really found that after a bit it became second nature.

I added the tension rod from the crb hand wrapper and a couple eye screws to route the thread to and from the tension rod and am super happy how that worked out. I tried it without the tension rod for a few guides and found i really missed the steady tension the rod affords. I added a reinforcement to the fence by screwing and gluing a 1 x 2 along the bottom / back side of the fence, permanently attaching the fence to the unit. I added a couple of thicknesses of the same stock along the back side of the top of the fence and this gave me some thickness to allow me to clamp a good quality magnifier to the fence and also allows me to clamp it anywhere along the fence. Also really like the finishing rest and find it really helps keeping a steady and consistent hand

Love this machine and no hint of buyer's remorse as yet.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 08, 2022 12:57AM

When I got into rod wrapping ~ 7 years ago, I decided to build my own power wrapper simply because I am a fabricator and if I designed and constructed it myself, it would fit my requirements perfectly. I investigated just about all the commercially available wrappers, searching for the pros and cons of each to aid in my own design. Of all the commercially available units I inspected, the design of the Flex Coat wrapper (prior to the DC777) impressed me more than any others, mostly due to the roller uprights mounted to the BACK of the unit which allows totally free movement in front for a thread carriage or whatever. While I took a different approach and fabricated my adjustable roller uprights which mount to the back of the base / track, the concept is the same as the Flex Coat wrapper. For those unable to custom-build their own, the Flex Coat DC777 wrapper is the next-best-thing. Good job John & Roger; I wouldn’t expect anything less from you guys!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.raintreegraphics.com)
Date: May 09, 2022 11:53AM

It is truly a great wrapper and backed by a good American company. Kudos to John Cates. He is very helpful when called upon. My wraps and finishing just keep getting better with every rod.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 09, 2022 08:44PM

RodMaker Magazine gave away one of these Flex Coat machines as the grand prize at this years subscriber reception. The gentleman what won the unit was very excited about it.

Posted by: Stan Daubinawski (12.86.154.---)
Date: May 11, 2022 12:21PM

Do you need to have a separate Rod Dryer? Or is the 40 RPMs slow enough? (I assume without using the foot pedal you can't go slower than 40 RPM)

Posted by: John Cates (Moderator)
Date: May 11, 2022 01:09PM

Yes, you can cure your rod on the motor at 40rpm. It is actually about 37rpm but bug deal, I like round numbers. Obviously if you want to move on to the next build, you will want to invest in an additional curing station, whether that is a stand alone motor and stand or our imitated but never duplicated 4X machines that are wall mounted and awesome. And again, all our equipment is OEM quality, USA Made and built to last.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Fred Kneipp (146.86.128.---)
Date: May 15, 2022 10:55AM

How did you add the tension Rod to the Flex Coat DC777? Do you have any pictures?

Posted by: Bob Foster (184.151.230.---)
Date: May 22, 2022 09:55PM

I used the tension rod from my crb hand wrapper. I drilled a small hole at an angle towards the rear of the carriage. When the rod is bent over i comes down in line with the two "goal posts". I added two eyelets in front of the goal posts. The thread comes around the post, thru the first eyelet, up to the tension rod and down to the second eyelet.

I put a few pics on photobucket as I think i screwed the pooch registering for photo album area here.

[photobucket.com]

The only hitch is you have to pull the carriage off the sliding base to move it around the roller supports. A nothing really.

I do really like it though

Posted by: Travis W Thompson (---)
Date: December 22, 2022 05:20PM

Bob Foster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I used the tension rod from my crb hand wrapper. I
> drilled a small hole at an angle towards the rear
> of the carriage. When the rod is bent over i comes
> down in line with the two "goal posts". I added
> two eyelets in front of the goal posts. The thread
> comes around the post, thru the first eyelet, up
> to the tension rod and down to the second eyelet.
>
> I put a few pics on photobucket as I think i
> screwed the pooch registering for photo album area
> here.
>
> [photobucket.com]
> -4cac-a3f7-24e701ade21e
>
> The only hitch is you have to pull the carriage
> off the sliding base to move it around the roller
> supports. A nothing really.
>
> I do really like it though

Nice ????

Posted by: Travis W Thompson (---)
Date: December 22, 2022 05:20PM

Bob Foster Wrote:
> I used the tension rod from my crb hand wrapper. I
> drilled a small hole at an angle towards the rear
> of the carriage. When the rod is bent over i comes
> down in line with the two "goal posts". I added
> two eyelets in front of the goal posts. The thread
> comes around the post, thru the first eyelet, up
> to the tension rod and down to the second eyelet.
>
> I put a few pics on photobucket as I think i
> screwed the pooch registering for photo album area
> here.
>
> [photobucket.com]
> -4cac-a3f7-24e701ade21e
>
> The only hitch is you have to pull the carriage
> off the sliding base to move it around the roller
> supports. A nothing really.
>
> I do really like it though

Nice ????

Posted by: Bob Foster (207.189.245.---)
Date: December 22, 2022 06:10PM

Travis W Thompson Wrote:
> Bob Foster Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I used the tension rod from my crb hand wrapper.
> I
> > drilled a small hole at an angle towards the
> rear
> > of the carriage. When the rod is bent over i
> comes
> > down in line with the two "goal posts". I added
> > two eyelets in front of the goal posts. The
> thread
> > comes around the post, thru the first eyelet,
> up
> > to the tension rod and down to the second
> eyelet.
> >
> > I put a few pics on photobucket as I think i
> > screwed the pooch registering for photo album
> area
> > here.
> >
> >
> [photobucket.com]
>
> > -4cac-a3f7-24e701ade21e
> >
> > The only hitch is you have to pull the carriage
> > off the sliding base to move it around the
> roller
> > supports. A nothing really.
> >
> > I do really like it though
>
> Nice ????

I don’t have a lot of experience to base an opinion on but it’s a great machine. I’ve built 6 fly rods and two casters on it and have not had even one second of regret in choosing it.

Posted by: Neil Toland (---)
Date: December 24, 2022 08:12AM

I finally broke down and ordered this yesterday. I've been using a DL713 for several years. Last year I added their Dual Control Wrapping and Finishing motor to the DL713. Talked to John yesterday to see what to do about upgrading to the DC777 using my existing parts. He walked me through the parts I'd need and I got them ordered. Pretty excited about this upgrade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2022 08:29AM by Neil Toland.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster