I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly guide sizing
Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: May 05, 2022 11:52PM

I am really struggling trying to figure out what size guides I need to order for a fly rod I am repairing. I think they are either REC or Pac Bay brand guides but I can't find a chart anywhere referencing the guide measurements for me to compare. The wire of the doublefoot guides measures .762mm. The overall length foot to foot is 28mm. The height from the top of the blank to the inside edge of the wire is 8mmThe inner diameter looks to be right at 7mm. The tiptop wire measures.965mm, 8mm inside diameter. Can somebody please help me out, I going crazy.

edit; I did find a chart for Pac bay guides and it looks like that might be what I need.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2022 12:17AM by Steve Chontos.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly guide sizing
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 06, 2022 08:20AM

From the library: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Might help.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 06, 2022 07:15PM

The flexibility of fly lines is subject to many variables; for example, the line's diameter, the composition of the line's core and coating, and the ambient casting temperature. The usual suggested size of gathering and running guides assume "average" temperature conditions [whatever that means] - some few "tropic" lines being the exceptions. Adding to uncertainty, some lines are advertised and purchased for their looks or label rather than their performance, and different casting styles - hauling or waving for example - do better with different tapers and weights of line. Actually test-casting a line at at a fly-fishing club or a store can save time and frustration.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 07, 2022 12:55AM

Phil,
Where did your reply come from??? It wasn't even close to answering the original question. Consider changing dispensaries.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: May 07, 2022 01:18AM

I guess my original post wasn't exactly clear, I am struggling to figure out what brand guides are on the rod I am repairing. Once I figure that out I can try and narrow down what size the guides are. The rod is a "Maxcatch" Extreme fly rod, it is sold thru Amazon. They look very similar to the Pac bay guides I see, I'm going to go with them.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2022 11:02AM

Mark, P hil can,t help it..it,s a form of old man gaslighting and it does not take much to trigger it in us..in fact I may have just been triggered..lol. Ppl

Date: May 07, 2022 04:02PM

Different lines exhibit different degrees of flexibility. Different water temperatures and different ambient temperatures have a considerable impact on line flexibility, and therefore upon casting performance. Unless you are selecting guides strictly for decorative effect you might consider how ambient temperatures, the inherent flexibility of the particular line being used, and the user's casting style (wave or haul) impact the flight of his fly line through the guide train in order to maximize casting efficiency. That would be a custom rod, as opposed to a duplicate rod that was built to satisfy the average rather than the individual customer. Then again, this particular thread is about rod repairing, not rod building. This customer might be interested strictly in appearance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2022 04:20PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.datapacket.com)
Date: May 07, 2022 04:40PM

Steve,
Why not go with what should be on the rod - if you're repairing - why not modernize it?
What is the brand/model. We might know if it has to be overlined, ETC.
What is the line rating of the rod?
Length?
Herb

Date: May 07, 2022 09:15PM

Herb (and everybody following), The guy lost the tip section of a 4 pc rod that was and Amazon brand rod, "Maxcatch". I was tasked with making him a new tip section for the rod and replacing the stripper guide that had dropped it's ceramic insert. I actually found a section of an old blank that I was able to make work but was struggling to match the guides on the rest of the rod (that's what he wanted). Once I realized it was an Amazon brand rod, I started researching them and realized that the owner could buy a new rod for less than what I was going to charge him to make the new tip section. I presented that option to the owner and he decided to just buy a new rod and keep the pieces of this rod for a spare.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 08, 2022 01:06AM

Phil,
?!?!?!?!? Again, consider changing dispensaries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2022 08:19AM

Phil, I like single foot ceramic fly guides..the line shoots much better no matter line stiffness because ceramic is much smoother than wire and I build rods under eight feet to reduce swing weight but ceramic shoots much better to make up the shorter rod in distance..does that make sense to you? Would you stick with wire in cold weather? Actually,,once you use ceramic you will not go back to wire..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2022 10:44AM by ben belote.

Date: May 14, 2022 04:22PM

ben:

I am also a big fan of single-foot, ceramic rings on fly rods seven-weight and up. I used such guides on a BVK 9 wt. blank I built out for myself about eight years ago. It's still my favorite salt-water rod. I'm not sure I would use ceramic ring guides in conditions where guides ice-up?

Date: May 14, 2022 04:37PM

No, I just avold fly fishing those conditions and go ice fishing..no casting..lol.but if it's just cold and no ice and the line is stiffer, ceramic.guides make a difference..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2022 04:57PM by ben belote.

Date: May 14, 2022 04:38PM

No, I just avold fly fishing those conditions and go ice fishing..no casting..lol.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (97.104.222.---)
Date: May 16, 2022 09:09PM

I used to fish for winter-run steelheads in Great Lakes tributaries. Conditions encountered there will convince just about anyone that just one type of guide, guide placement, and tip-top is the best choice for any-and-all fishing environments.

Posted by: Stan Vogel (---)
Date: May 18, 2022 06:45AM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Phil,
> ?!?!?!?!? Again, consider changing
> dispensaries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think this is unnecessary.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2022 08:30AM

Phil,. I,m sure you have more cold weather fly fishing experience.than me but does clay or ceramic get as cold as metal wire
Ceramic is a poor conductor of heat or cold.. I'm guessing your using REC guides for stealhead for the flex..

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2022 10:35AM by ben belote.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster