I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mudhole carbon fiber handle
Posted by: Hunter Koski (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: May 04, 2022 07:23PM

I just got my mudhole carbon fiber handle tubing in and to be honest it looks pretty terrible. It has a line spiraling up it but it also has a handful of dips in the tube. I'm building my first rod and I can't really see myself being happy with this handle. Am I able to put a coat of Finnish on it or something like that? Is the tube supposed to be like that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mudhole carbon fiber handle
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 04, 2022 07:31PM

Contact Mudhole.

Date: May 04, 2022 07:48PM

Just did. This annoys me more because I'm going to be home for at least the rest of the week because I got my appendix out last night.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2022 08:58PM

This stuff?

[mudhole.com]

There should be no dips in the tubing. It should be a uniform diameter.

The outer woven layer on this type of handle is decorative only. When the tube is made, I believe it is wrapped in cellophane-type tape and cured under heat. When the tape is removed, it will leave a ridge. On rod blanks, the ridge usually gets sanded off, but you can still see the line under a high gloss finish. With the decorative layer being so thin, you can't sand off the ridge without damaging the weave layer. Although, it doesn't show up very strong in the images on MH site, you can see the ridge spacing.

Until I had the equipment to sleeve my own carbon fiber grips, I used similar tubing for my grips. I've been more than happy with the result on rods that have been in service for the last ~15 years.

If the grips are the ones made of carbon fiber sleeving over top of a foam core, the shape should be consistent with its intended shape without major divots. A little twisting of the fiber can happen during the lay up process, but it shouldn't look bad. For these grips, yes you can apply a coat or two of finish on them. The finish can be rod finish. After the first coat, sand it smooth and get close to the CF. Then you can put a final finish on as a thin coat of rod finish, a few coats of Permagloss, or even a spray on spar urethane.

Date: May 04, 2022 09:17PM

Joe, that is the tubing I bought. It is almost like there is an impact divot in the tube. I contacted mudhole but it'll probably be a hot minute before they get back to me.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: May 04, 2022 09:37PM

Call them! Mudhole’s refund/exchange policy is excellent, they will certainly refund or exchange the grip for you. I’ve never had a problem with their customer service, they always tried their best to make sure I was happy.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 05, 2022 05:58AM

As Norman said, Mud Hole has great customer service. It stinks that you'll have to wait a little longer to get started, but if they have it in stock, they will get you taken care of in a jiffy.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: May 05, 2022 09:30AM

What I do not understand regarding this post, is what members here are supposed to do about it. As with most of the vendors listed here, the issue is generally corrected in a timely matter with just a simple phone call to them.

Posted by: Hunter Koski (---)
Date: May 05, 2022 09:33AM

Ron,
I was just asking what I should do about it or if I could do something like put a coat of finish over it. I don't expect anyone to do anything about it. I probably didn't need to ask but I wanted to know if there was anything I could do to quickly fix it while I'm stuck home for the next few days.

Posted by: Hunter Koski (---)
Date: May 05, 2022 11:24AM

Update, called mudhole as suggested and they were extremely helpful. The customer service rep was so nice he wouldn't even need candy to get me into the van. They had me destroy the handle and are sending a new one out.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lf.br.cox.net)
Date: May 05, 2022 01:24PM

There was no need to try to “fix” a defective handle. Mudhole took care of the problem and as was stated , a call to them in the first place was the better option than trying to fix it.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 05, 2022 09:25PM

It's a QC issue somewhere along the line. Pretty simple carbon tube however long. Should not have made it into stock., much less shipped. I know, I'm miserable! LOL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster