I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Heavy duty spinning guides
Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: May 02, 2022 06:02PM

I've searched quite a few sites looking for spinning guides for a pair of 6'6" rods for top water yellowfin tuna, I need something that can hold up to the 60# braid as well as the rigors of an 80# tuna. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

'

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heavy duty spinning guides
Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: May 02, 2022 08:04PM

Check out the Virtus guides from American Tackle. They are an awesome guide and can handle both situations. There are three variants, the Virtus Light (20-60), Virtus Heavy (40-80) and the new Virtus XHD (50-200) The Light and Heavy come in sizes ranging from 8 to 40 so you can definitely set up a spinning rod with these! The XHD only comes in sizes ranging from 10-20.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 04, 2022 01:09AM

Mark,
Remember that when selecting guides for a heavy offshore rod, it is not about the size of the fish but rather the amount of drag the reel can generate (and how much you are willing and are CAPABLE OF holding onto). Many guides from numerous manufacturers as well as the thread used to secure them to the blank, exceed the requirements actually required. Take your example of an 80lb tuna; the size of the fish is of no importance if your reel can only generate 30lb of drag = the rod and you will only experience 30lb of force. Then, the average rod will be, say, 6ft in length with, say, 6 guides. Divide the 30 lbs of force (drag) by 6 guides = 5lb of force on any one guide (granted simplified but close for this scenario). All but the lightest of guides would most likely suffice, and the thread wraps too.
I am not advocating using KR Concept micro guides for a tuna stick. But guides and thread wraps may be grossly underrated for the load they are capable of handling. That being said, I see no point in pursuing large fish such as tuna with spinning gear unless it is just for the sake that one can. A conventional reel is much better suited to the rigors of big game fishing and spiral wrapped guides makes the experience even better.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: May 04, 2022 07:52AM

Thanks, Mark. That is all good information to know. These guys are very experienced at offshore pelagic species fishing. They've got all the premium gear needed for species ranging form 800# marlin to 400# swordfish and everything in the water column between. This spinning set up is more of an opportunity situation. Occasionally they will encounter a surface yellowfin eruption while daytime trolling or hovering while night fishing. While most of the crew is proficient a casting a tuna popper or a rubber flying fish with a 6'6" casting rod with a 30 for the reel, their guests are not. The spinning rod offers a mush a much more efficient experience for these opportunities.

The rods will also be used for casting rip lines for bull dolphin and cobiia.

Thanks, Richard. I have ordered two sets of the Vitrus guides and I think I will put them on a NFC X-ray 6'6" blank. Just waiting (for a while now) for some guidance from the people at NFC on the best blank for this application.

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 04, 2022 12:13PM

Mark Brassett Wrote:

>
> Thanks, Richard. I have ordered two sets of the
> Vitrus guides and I think I will put them on a NFC
> X-ray 6'6" blank. Just waiting (for a while now)
> for some guidance from the people at NFC on the
> best blank for this application.

I would give a serious look at the Black Hole Cape Cod blanks......they are the hot item here in the NE for tuna popping. I have built a few and they are consistently excellent quality.

[www.instagram.com]

Take a look.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2022 12:16PM by Joseph Willsen.

Date: May 04, 2022 01:49PM

Thanks, Joseph. I just checked those blanks out. If it was for me I'd pop on two of those. I'm calling my guy to see if he feels the same way.

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 04, 2022 02:00PM

Mark....if you do decide to use them just remember that you need to use a graphite reel seat.....something with some give in it...as the blank may flex all the way to the reel seat.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 04, 2022 04:18PM

Mark B.,
Understood and in your case agreed; a spinning rod is easier to cast for those less experienced with casting reels. Since this will basically be a boat rod, durability is probably of concern and a double foot guide is more robust than a single foot. Since it will be designed for casting, hopefully you can find tall enough double foot reduction guides without having to go oversized on the ring.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: May 04, 2022 09:39PM

Mark B, take a look at the SW708-2. It is stronger than the ratings (which is unusual for NFC). Other wise get the Pelagic 704 for 20# or 705 for 30# class. The pelagic line is more of a live bait blank and the SW is more of a spin jig. IMHO they have nothing suitable in the Xray line but I haven't tried the new slow jig blanks. All the other suitable offerings will be longer than 7 foot, like the HS885-2.

I was pleasantly pleased with the SW708-2 and my immediate thought was "Cobia Rod". I wouldn't feel the pelagic 705 is "quite" enough for 80# yellowfin but it could fish 40# class....and if the fish are already on the top....I suppose it would do. It is a stronger blank than the SW. The 703 is pretty much equal.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster