I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Once you go salt....
Posted by: Kevin Landers (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: May 02, 2022 09:21AM

The G2 16" Saltwater Carbon Handle is American Tackle's latest edition to the award-winning G2 product line. New for 2021, the G2 Saltwater Handles cater to the offshore, nearshore, musky, pike, and swimbait market and work with a variety of different reel seats. The increased 16” length allows for trimming to customizable lengths, and has a thicker wall construction as well as a hard rubber butt for added durability, making it the ideal choice for heavy-duty applications.

G2 16” total length contoured saltwater and swimbait rear handle
Customizable length (11” – 16”) by cutting each end as desired
Kit includes an integrated rubber/aluminum butt cap system
Model options with 16/17mm trigger seat link or standard 18/20/22mm seat trim ring
Trim/butt cap assemblies available in matte black, gloss black, and silver
Offered in carbon Matte 3K and Bushido black satin finish options
Will fit up to a 0.75”/19.3mm O.D. blank

Kevin Landers

Marketing Manager
American Tackle Co.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Once you go salt....
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 02, 2022 03:25PM

Kevin,
These do not have a foam core. How do you recommend installing them over the blank? Arbors? Please explain are make a video.
Thanks,
Lance

Date: May 02, 2022 05:28PM

These install just like most of our G2 series. Tape arbors are the best way to get the best fit. as they can fit many different blanks of different sizes. We are actually working on a whole series of videos for different product installs.

Kevin Landers

Marketing Manager
American Tackle Co.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 03, 2022 11:42AM

I used fiberglass drywall tape for the arbors on the narrow section then turned two rubberized cork rings for each end. It would help if AT made arbors that actually fit either end or just put a foam core with a center hole in it. Many of us here will not use tape arbors because of the weight and fear that they may get saturated with water even after encapsulating them with epoxy. You got us halfway there without a clear finish.

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (216.24.45.---)
Date: May 03, 2022 01:01PM

I agree with Lance, it would great to have a solid mounting option that comes with the handle. 16" is my sweet spot and I've avoided these grips because they aren't the length I want in a pike/musky stick, now I may look at them differently.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: May 03, 2022 02:11PM

Someone ought to weigh the difference between making tape arbors and a properly done drywall tape arbor, Lots of epoxy in a mesh arbor.

Date: May 05, 2022 04:11PM

We thought of adding arbors to this grip. However, the way it was designed was to be able to be cut down. Because it can be cut down we made the decision to not add arbors to the grip as the distance from the ends would change. We believe it gives more options to builders to allow customization as everyone is going to build differently. Many of you have brought up good points and just so you know when we read these or respond to posts or comments, we have discussions about how we can do more for builders or develop products that builders want. We love hearing feedback on products! It only helps us to develop better products year after year!

Kevin Landers

Marketing Manager
American Tackle Co.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: May 05, 2022 05:42PM

Great handles, with lots of trim options!

Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 05, 2022 06:23PM

I think the G2 systems are awesome and super easy to install, plus they are super durable.

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: May 07, 2022 01:34AM

I don't like tape arbors. I had one fail on me and it's not gonna happen again. I feel like a custom rod with a $50 carbon fiber grip deserves a little more attention than this. All the skill going into the build and we're gonna short cut installing the handle? Aside from the weight factor, how much sensitivity is lost between the blank and grip/handle/reelseat with a soft tape arbor and a bunch of epoxy gooped in there.

Steve

Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 11, 2022 04:38AM

Hello Kevin.......what fore grip {5-6"} would you use with these G2 16" rear grips?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster