I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I'd like to hear opinions on the point blank pb731hf blank.
Posted by: Shawn Mattson (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 30, 2022 05:12PM

Frog rod? Heavy jigs? Big poppers? What's this thing do well? At 2.1 oz this thing really has my interest. I've been unable to find anything on it other than from the factory or Kyle welchers opinion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I'd like to hear opinions on the point blank pb731hf blank.
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: April 30, 2022 05:32PM

Frog rod? Yes, heavy jigs? Yes! Light to medium flipping in heavy cover?yep, large worms? Yep, big wobblehead? Yep. It’s a very versatile rod, I use for for everything mentioned to include large sweet beavers, brush hogs, and a ton of other stuff. I never launch the boat without one. IMO any application for a large or heavy bottom dragging technique it’s what you are looking for. It’s very light and ( although subjective) very sensitive.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 30, 2022 06:59PM

I have not tested this PB, but the PB731MXF is the highest true natural frequency blank I've tested. All the PB's are very high, higher than other similar-powered/actioned blanks. If you believe that TNF and sensitivity are proportioinal, it is very sensitive. TNF directly measures recovery speed, and with PB's high, they recover fast.

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: April 30, 2022 07:11PM

Agree with the above posters. Very sensitive. "Too nice" to frog with, but it works great for that. I built it for 1/2 to 3/4 oz jigs and it is perfect for that.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 30, 2022 08:45PM

It’s a fantastic blank, very versatile. Hard to believe how light and powerful it is.
Norm

Date: April 30, 2022 09:51PM

My thoughts on the weight exactly... Will it truly handle a 2 oz top end like they say?

Date: April 30, 2022 09:53PM

Also, are they durable enough for heavy pads or brush?

Date: May 01, 2022 06:52AM

Regarding how tough PB's are, I screwed up with a snagged lure and wrapped my PB731MXF around my trolling motor shaft so far and so sharply that I thought it was surely broken as I looked down at it. Turned out I bent a couple guides, but didn't damage the blank, at least don't think so. It has lasted a couple years after that with many very nice SMB stressing it. I was amazed.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 01, 2022 11:41AM

It takes seven letters and numbers just to identify this blank and separate it from its competitors. Its materials and/or construction must indeed be unique!

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: May 01, 2022 01:23PM

Come on man. Point Blank 7 foot 3 inch one piece heavy power fast action. Seems like every other rod blank description on earth. Oh yeah, they list CCS and RDA power and action angle on their website. They have an excellent power to weight ratio and have a faster action than most other blanks. These are facts. I do not find them to be soulful. If you think you might want a blank with those characteristics, give them a go. But give Point Blank (Fuji) a break. They are one of the good guys. They list more objective info about their blanks than any other blank maker.

Date: May 01, 2022 07:02PM

Yes, Phil, they are indeed unique. I can even give you an objective process that you can use to come to your own conclusions. If you really want objective data.

Posted by: Jason Gofron (---.sub-174-240-234.myvzw.com)
Date: May 03, 2022 09:00PM

I have 2 of the 7’mhf. Their my favorite rods. As for 2oz lure rating that seems high to me for a H rated blank.

Posted by: Jason Gofron (---.sub-174-240-234.myvzw.com)
Date: May 03, 2022 09:04PM

I also find their spec page far more accurate of the blanks than some of the other website pages. On the spec page they state the H is rated to 1.25oz. That sounds much more in line than 2oz

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 05, 2022 11:12AM

I just looked at Point Blanks web site. They don't list a PB731HF..... they list a PB731HXF. Most likely a typo on the OP's part. They do list a PB761HF. Be that as it may, looking at the hard specs for both the 731HXF and the 761HF, on the link provided with the blank description,the lure weight range for both the PB731HXF and the PB761HF are 1 - 2 oz.

If you go to the specifications link on the top of the web page, you get a PDF. The PDF shows different specs than the link that goes with each individual blank.

A little mix up at Point Blank I'd say.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: May 05, 2022 03:24PM

Went out in the back yard and test casted my PB731HXF casting rod with a variety of casting weights, which included 0.5 oz, 0.72 oz, 1.15 oz, 1.46 oz, and 1.9 oz. They all casted very nicely without the rod feeling.over or under loaded with any of them. Since I was casting over water from my back yard, I don’t have accurate measurements, but all casts were well over 50 yds. I used a Shimano Curado DC loaded with 20 lb J Braid8. The CCS measurements for this.blank are IP = 950 gm, and AA = 77. The thing about Point Blanks that I have noticed is their casting weight range is much broader than those listed. The rods just seem to load progressively down the blank with increasing weight. These rod have a very unique feel that I really like.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster