I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best method for reaming cork grips to fit rod blanks
Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 30, 2022 10:49AM

I have built several very nice fly, and spinning rods. I always purchase the components separately, including the cork grips. The inner bore is always too small to fit the blank. I use a rat tail file to shape the bore to fit snugly, and use tape arbors, and epoxy paste to fit and glue everything together. The tape arbors take care of any inconsistencies in my filing. The results have been very good. My problem is that this method, though effective, isn't ideal, and is very time consuming. I do have an Alps Power Wrapper. Is there a faster, more accurate way to make the inner bore fit the blank taper? it would sure speed up my rod building if there is.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best method for reaming cork grips to fit rod blanks
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: April 30, 2022 12:12PM

There are reamers made for the purpose available from most of the suppliers on the left. They can be used either by hand or chucked in a hand drill for power.

Posted by: Joel Wick (181.214.107.---)
Date: April 30, 2022 12:44PM

Why the need for speed?

I say slow down and enjoy the process.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2022 01:46PM

I agree with Joel..what,s the hurry..I like the way your doing it now.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 30, 2022 03:08PM

I have to admit, it's a labor of love. And there that feeling of accomplishment when you look at ahigh quality rod and can say - "i did that!" Also, I save the cork dust in a little plastic zipper bag, just in case I gouge a divot in my cork handle while fishing. A bit of super glue, cork dust, and it looks as good as new, or so it's supposed to. I haven't had to repair any divots yet.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Mo Yang (---)
Date: April 30, 2022 06:42PM

LOL....why the need for speed? Because time is valuable....:)

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 30, 2022 07:07PM

A piece of a broken rod blank with a 1" strip of 120 grit sandpaper glued in an open spiral around it with enough bare blank left for a handle. Then about 5 minutes of sanding-reaming to bore-out and fit the the grip.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 01, 2022 06:58AM

One problem with reamers is the tendency for the bore to wander out of concentricity as the grip is reamed. It helps to wear gloves when using a drill driver for power and let the grip spin a little as the reaming progresses. And ream a little, then check, ream a little more, check again. And again. . . .

I like the Dream Reamer with its "chuckable" fitting on the end. I haven't figured out how to get that feature on a home-made one.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2022 08:56AM

Time spent for our pleasure is what,s of value..lol.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 01, 2022 10:24AM

[mudhole.com]

These are great for getting your bore closer to the diameter of the blank for cork grips. Of course the diameter of the blank you're using is going to determine which size, and whether or not you can use them. But they have saved me a lot of time reaming, for the grips I've built

Date: May 01, 2022 12:12PM

You can really mess up, even ruin a cork grip in a couple of seconds when you use a motor-powered reamer, whereas you have to keep doing the wrong thing for a couple of minutes with a hand-powered reamer to ruin a cork grip. I imagine purveyors of cork grips will gladly sell rod-builders powerful electric reamers which will shorten the rod-building process by minutes or extend the process until either the rod blank is shimmed out to fit the oversized hole in the grip - or the replacement cork grip arrives.

Posted by: Alex purvis (---)
Date: May 01, 2022 03:12PM

I’m with Phil as well. I’ve tried power reaming with my drill and have ruined some grips that I was really proud of. I’m not saying for you to not power ream because you may have better luck at it than I have, but for now I’ve learned to just enjoy reaming by hand.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: May 01, 2022 09:26PM

I clamp an electric drill in a vice horizontally and upside down and "sneak" up on the correct bore size. One hand on the drill switch and the other holding the grip. I let the grip rotate in my hand a little while varying the rpms on the drill. You can apply more down force pressure on the grip when needed to ensure the bore holes on each end remain in the center. So far, so good.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 01, 2022 11:10PM

I find that I have more control keeping a cork grip concentric while remaining under power than by hand = to each his own. What works for one may not for another. One way or the other, when discovering what works for each individual, KEEP WITH IT!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: May 02, 2022 09:02AM

I have found that the best way to keep the hole centered when reaming is not to force it, take your time, and keep the handle turning. As others have mentioned, when power reaming it is very important to let the handle slip in your hand and use a soft touch. This frequent repositioning of the grip help keeps the hole centered. If you grab the handle firmly and not let it rotate while reaming, it is almost a guarantee that the hole will be off center and not concentric. This is also true when hand reaming; keep the handle turning while reaming.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 02, 2022 03:02PM

Definitely agree that frequent / constant repositioning of one’s grip (or should I say hold) helps immensely to keep the hole concentric. Of course, going slowly and checking often certainly aids as well. Even so, it is pretty difficult to keep a PERFECTLY concentric hole and in the grand scheme of things, being off a tad is undetectable to all but the most critical. If a perfectly concentric grip is paramount, the best method is to bond the pieces onto the butt of the blank, insert the small end through the spindle bore of the headstock of a lathe and chuck the blank close to the front of handle with a dead-center in the butt end. But some provision to keep the small end of the blank from whipping while turning at speed MUST be taken.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 02, 2022 04:45PM

I use a battery powered drill and and have a set of the Batson Dream Reamers. Ream a little while changing your grip to let spin on another orientation, then check making sure not to over ream and keep the hole centered. I also have a the longer reamer that is about 5' in length. I make most all of my own grips and EVA and cork will work with this. You can get real good with this method after doing it a while.

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.37.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: May 03, 2022 08:37AM

Date: May 04, 2022 08:11AM

Even if the grip is not concentric with the blank, if the rod components are securely attached the rod will cast in the same direction. A competent caster will quickly adjust and compensate to the rod's point of aim. The world's best rod builder can't make a poor caster into a good one.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 05, 2022 01:34PM

Phil? Will your nonsense never cease?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster