I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with spiral wrap setup
Posted by: David Luttig (---)
Date: April 27, 2022 09:01PM

Is there someone I could call and discuss my setup for my spiral wrap steelhead rod? It’s 11 1/2’ long, medium power. I have the first guide at ~20” from the bait casting reel, set at 0, next guide is about 4.5” at ~ 60*, next guide another 4.5 inches up at ~120* and the last guide at 180*, 14” up from the first guide. I placed the remaining guides where they need to be. Took it out to cast and I am not getting the distance I would have thought….maybe 25 yards. No line slap on the spiral guides and no line touching the bank anywhere. Moved the guides around a little and didn’t see any noticeable increase or decrease in casting distance. I would really like to talk to someone that has built a spiral wrapped rod to make sure I am setting this up correctly.
Thanks,
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with spiral wrap setup
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 27, 2022 09:35PM

What are your guide ring sizes, how many are you using and what kind are they? Also, what size / type line are you using? 0, 20, 60, 180 set up doesn't have to be exact 20 degrees and 60 degrees. You want to create a straight line path from the 0 to the 180. It sounds like your spacing is off. How far is the stripper guide (closest guide to the reel) from the reel face?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 27, 2022 09:57PM

What type and size line are you using?

Date: April 28, 2022 07:30AM

Using mono line, 12#. The stripper guide is 19” from the reel face. The stripper guide is a 12, then two 10’s and finally an 8. The runner guides are 8 as well. He wanted the 8’s to help with guide freeze up. I think I have 10 or 11 running guides. The spiral setup is ~0, 60, 120, 180 degrees, give or take. The entire spiral is completed in 14”. The rod is 11 1/2’ long, medium power. When I did the cast test I got roughly 25 yards, maybe a touch more, no line slap and the line is not touching the bank anywhere.
I appreciate the help!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 28, 2022 08:42AM

You may be fine. Try setting the rod up in a standard guides-on-top configuration, cast it again and see how much distance you get. If you still only get about 25 or so yards, then there is no issue. Some spiral wraps may shave a hair off of the casting distance, but it shouldn't be much at all. That 25 yards may be all that blank is going to do with that line and casting weight, regardless of guide set-up.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2022 10:48AM

Those large runners are slowing the rod..isn,t there some !ind of spray to keep ice from forming on guides..also if icing how can you casters for distance anywayn especially frozen monos

maybe just go ice fishing..lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2022 05:32PM by ben belote.

Date: April 28, 2022 02:28PM

I agree with Ben. My set up Has the largest guide at 6mm with 10lbs mono. A 12mm will work if you are needing the height. I would recommend a Fuji KW 12, KB 6 and the rest KB 5.5s and KT 5.5s to the tip with a 6mm tip top to help pass leader knots/small swivel. Guide brands that are similar in height will work also. Your stripper is also too close to the reel, try it at 21” or 22” from the reel face. You have a lot of rod at 11.5’ so use it. I am not a believer of transition as soon as you can from the top to the bottom, I believe the straighter the line is, the farthest it will cast. Bend the tip of your rod down to about 90°, mark the major bend or arc in the blank, then make a mark about 3” to 4” behind that toward the butt. This is the farthest point from the reel where your 180° guides should be placed. If you are at 180° before that you are alright. On a rod that length I would use 13 guides with the first guide from the tip at 4” and the stripper guide (guide closest to the reel) 21” to 22” from the reel face. If you are not getting a lot of flex in that part of the rod then go out to 22”. If you can measure the stripper from the tip and the first guide from the tip (4”) I can give you spacing to use. I sent you an email so you can contact me.

Date: April 28, 2022 04:14PM

Thank you for your time on the phone this afternoon Lance. I really appreciate your help and time!

Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---)
Date: April 28, 2022 04:29PM

All the above info is great. Please look at back posts about the KG wrap. It's the one I settled on after trying several others. What ever you decide you'll enjoy..

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 28, 2022 05:29PM

What size reel are you using?
Tom's advice is spot on, may not be the set-up.
I usually use a stripper guide that will take the line off the reel smoothly, so a sz 16 sounds about right.
And, stripper on the 0 axis might work better.
Maybe space out a little farther, and use the same size transition guides as the runners.
Also, I like something like 6-7" between stripper and each transition and then to the first 180 runner.
Then space as needed after that.
Hope this helps,

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: April 28, 2022 06:41PM

After speaking with Lance, I increased the spiral spacing and that made a world of difference. Getting 43 yards now which is almost double the distance!! Never would have thought it would be that drastic of a change. Thanks for everyone’s reply and help!

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 28, 2022 07:39PM

NICE JOB! Lance!

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2022 07:52PM

Good stuff LAnce! So instead of fourteen inches to complete the spiral your using twenty two..we all learned something today..Thanks!

Date: April 28, 2022 11:21PM

Wow, I wasn't sure that it would make that big of a difference. I think if his client would let him use a bit smaller guides he would even get more distance.

Date: May 14, 2022 02:12PM

I just wanted to thank everyone for the assistance with the spiral wrap. The guy I made it for was very happy with the performance and even sent me pics of three steelhead he caught with it yesterday. I learned a lot on this build and again, thank you all for your help.
Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster