I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

For David Baylor
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 27, 2022 06:17PM

Dave you talked me right into the NFC MB 709 IM. What with the sale, free shipping, and them owning the forum and all.... Lol My question is this. Did you use any double foot guides on yours, and if so, how many? I'm starting with a KW-10 and would like to follow it with with a KW7 and a KW5.5 before going to single foot runners. I may use just 2 KW's. Not all that concerned about weight in front of the reel. If it's tip heavy I got a lb. of lead here. Lol

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: For David Baylor
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: April 27, 2022 09:40PM

Lynn, if your not opposed to a smaller guidetrain, try an RV6, followed by a single 5 then 4.0s to the tip or 3.5’s. I have three HM’ MB 709’s set up like this and they are great.

Tom

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 28, 2022 04:51PM

Lynn, I used LN and L guides on both of the rods I've built on that blank. They both have the same guide strains on them. An LN 10, LN 8, and LN 6, follow by 4.5 L guides. I have 11 guides plus tip top on both rods.

I'll be interested in if you find it tip heavy or not. I have the same model reel on both rods. The first version of the Shimano Castaic. It is a heavy reel. If I remember right I think it weighs 8.4 oz. so if you're using a lighter reel, it's going to be more tip heavy.

I have a full length carbon fiber grip on the one that I made from the CFX kit that Mud Hole sells. I added 2 oz to the butt of that rod to get the balance that I like. The other one I have a full length grip that I made. Don't know if you saw a picture of the latest grip I made, but its the heavy one I was talking about in the form versus function thread. I added 1 oz to the butt of that rod. I have no idea how much the CFX grip I made weighs. I wasn't weighing stuff back then. lol But the grip I have on the one I just finished, weighs 1.35 oz. So the weight of the grip I made is most definitely responsible for not needing to add as much weight. Both grips are 9 1/2" long.

You are going to love that rod. Awesome rod for flipping and pitching.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 28, 2022 07:28PM

Thomas, thx but I already have the 3 guides I mentioned. And Dave, thx as well. The rod's actually for my son, he doesn't know it yet, but he doesn't have a moderate casting rod and should. In other words I felt like building it. Lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2022 08:32PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 29, 2022 06:16PM

lol Lynn, you have a lucky son. If he is going to use it for flipping and pitching he is going to love it. I've used mine for Carolina rigs, and it fishes them really well. I've also thrown heavier chatterbaits with it and it fishes them really good as well. I haven't used it for anything else but it's probably great for bigger spinnerbaits as well.

For me, it's about as good as you can get for flipping and pitching. And that is because of its' action. I'm trying to think if I have ever lost a fish that I've had hooked on it when flipping and pitching, and I can only think of one. I just couldn't get it out of the tree I hooked it in. And that was more my fault than the fault of the rod. I had it pinned against a branch and dropped the rod tip to give it some line in hopes of getting it up and over the branch, and it went the wrong way. lol Pulled it back up against the branch and it pulled off.

Would have tried to get the boat in there but as far back in the tree as it was, that wasn't going to happen.

Anyhow ....... happy building my friend !!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster