I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tiger wrap advice
Posted by: Robert Parbus (---)
Date: April 27, 2022 06:59AM

In doing tiger wraps, 3 threaded, 2 sacrificial, I get them looking really nice but applying epoxy to the top threads I seem to move a few threads. Nothing that cant be salvaged but would like to avoid this. I have tried tightening up the thread that's staying on the final wrap. If I get it to say it's because it's tight but then have trouble burnishing for effect. Any advice ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tiger wrap advice
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 27, 2022 02:11PM

Robert,
Hopefully you will receive replies by those more qualified than me as I have only made 5 tiger wraps. They really do create unique and interesting wrap which draws people in for closer inspection., especially if utilizing a thick “lens” (4-6 coats) between the layers.
I tend to wrap anything with more tension than others and discovered, as you did as well, that it restricted the distortion of the wraps which limited the tiger effect. All I can offer is to find that perfect thread tension balance which allows for distorting the wraps yet tight enough to not move the threads while applying epoxy. I can only assume that you are wrapping all 3 threads and then distorting all of them by burnishing PRIOR removing the sacrificial threads.?.?.? And don’t “brush-on” the epoxy; let the rotating blank pull the epoxy drip off the bottom of the brush or spatula. I also discovered that the tension of all the threads needs to be equal; not one tighter or looser than the others.
I have only made 3-thread tigers with 1-sacrificial. How different does your 2-sacrificial look? Got pics?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: April 27, 2022 04:15PM

Robert,
Oops! It has been quite a while since I made my last tiger wrap and just remembered that I also had 2 sacrificial threads rather than the 1 mentioned above.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 27, 2022 04:52PM

CP is not as viscous as epoxy. Apply CP first after burnishing and it shouldn’t move as much as the epoxy does. When the CP dries it will hold the threads in place for the epoxy. That is what I do.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: April 27, 2022 05:09PM

I know some folks get decent results burnishing the top threads. I belive Scott Throop just did the bottom layer, and his tigers are awesome. I get good results just doing the bottom, either two or three threads.

Date: April 27, 2022 07:35PM

Again, I’m not an authority on tigers by any means, but I cannot imagine achieving maximum effect with only distorting one of the layers of thread. There are a number of videos on tigers and many mention and acknowledge Scott Throop as the inventor; all of them (including Doc Ski and Bill Falconer) distort both layers. The first test tiger I made had too much thread tension to get a nice, pronounced distortion of the thread (both layers) and hence turned-out rather bland. Backing-off the tension allowed for more distortion and consequently a much more irregular, random and pronounced effect. It only seems logical that the more distortion of the thread wraps = the better and many of the videos emphasize so.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Randy Hively (---.dsl1.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 28, 2022 04:21PM

After burnishing the top threads, I put heat on the threads with a heat gun. After it has cooled I then remove the sacrificial threads. I try to not pull on the threads. Turn the rod and only apply enough pull to get the threads to drop off the bottom of the rod. Then apply CP by dripping it on the rod without touching the thread with the brush any more than you need to, using a very long, soft bristle brush makes it easier. I put paper or cardboard under the rod to catch all of the CP that runs off of the rod.

Posted by: Robert Parbus (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 29, 2022 04:57PM

Thanks everyone. I guess I can try the CP. Ive tried heat and I'm now wondering about using heat after removing the sacrificial threads.Gonna try and figure out how to post a photo on here.

Posted by: Robert Parbus (---)
Date: April 30, 2022 03:00PM

For the life of me I can't figure out how to post a pic. I am registered at the photo site and can login fine. But once there I see nothing to upload a photo. Looked in all the categories also.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 01, 2022 10:33AM

Hello Robert.

If you are "Loged in" the button is righ under the black bar with the FAQ on it.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 12, 2022 04:03PM

Guys......I thought you would apply a coat of CP...allow it to dry and THEN remove the sacrificial threads.....no?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster