I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip-Top Suggestions?
Posted by: Jon Kistler (---.res-cmts.leh2.ptd.net)
Date: April 21, 2022 05:04PM

I'm hoping to collect some advise...I'm working on an offshore rod. The tip section of the blank tapers to about a size 7 at the tip. The smallest tube tip-top available in the guide model we selected is a size 10. In the past, I've often used a thread wrap to fill the void between a blank and loose tip-top but I've never filled a void this large. I'm thinking I may need 3 or 4 layers of thread to make up the difference. I always use rodbuilder's paste epoxy to secure the tip-top on a rod this stout. My question is: would one use a thin layer of finish to "tie" the filler wraps together or epoxy the tip-top to dry thread?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip-Top Suggestions?
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 21, 2022 07:40PM

I'd rather have a tip that fits than an exact match. I often use a high grade ring tip which may differ in color from the guides.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 21, 2022 08:12PM

A tip top is one of the least expensive components of a build, I suggest you buy a tip that fits snugly and put any worries behind you. Keep the unused for a future build.

For me it is not important to use matching tips. I regularly use Fiji Sic tips regardless of the guide choice.

Have fun

John

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 21, 2022 08:30PM

I think I would try transitioning a few of the tip guides into a lighter style approppriate to the right size tip top, if the tip is that light the matching guide would also be more than strong enough and would help with the look you're after.

Date: April 21, 2022 08:32PM

This is a spiral wrapped rod with roller guides. The ONLY TIP-TOP AVAILABLE is of tube size 10. A conventional guide would defeat the purpose of using rollers.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 21, 2022 08:49PM

In which case, ignore my previous post.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: April 21, 2022 09:09PM

How does that work with rollers and spiral?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 21, 2022 09:15PM

You can cut the tip back a little bit.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 21, 2022 09:48PM

John,
I would simply use as many layers of thread as is necessary to fill the void.
Then, use slow drying epoxy to epoxy the tip to the tip and you will be good to go.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 21, 2022 11:47PM

I would encapsulate the tip with a over sleeve using Rod Bond and then sand it down until the tip top snugly fits.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2022 08:37AM

Is it normal to use rollers on a rod that sma!l..

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 22, 2022 10:20PM

Jon,
I am assuming this is the rod build you mentioned a few days ago incorporating the All American Roller Guides for spiral wrapped rods. If a size 10 tube size is the smallest AA has to offer, that seems consistent with most tuna sticks = my 80lb Calstar has a tip size of 11 while my 100lb Seeker has a tip size of 14. May I suggest you verify the intended blank is capable of a tuna rod before continuing any farther. If so and that is the blank you WILL be building, the multiple plies of size D thread wraps will be your best option. By all means, epoxy the thread wrap bushing and allow it to cure PRIOR to mounting the tip top.With that thick of a thread bushing, you will need to make certain it is totally saturated with epoxy prior to installing the tip top. If the thread bushing ends-up being a bit too large, simply sand it down to accommodate the size 10 tip top.
The bottom line is to check / verify the blank is suitable for your application before proceeding. Obviously, if you are building a spiral wrapped ROLLER rod, you have no potions other than All American, guides and / or tip top.
Mark Brassett,
THE ONLY roller guides designed for spiral wrapped rods are from All American Roller Guides; other (conventional) rollers will definitely NOT WORK. AA rollers (both conventional and spiral wrap) are a quality product, designed and fabricated by Steve and his wife Laurie right here in Tustin, CA , USA, 100% USA made!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: April 23, 2022 06:41AM

Thanks. Mark. I see it on the AARG site. Very foreign (to me) but cool design.

Date: April 23, 2022 02:03PM

Thanks to everyone for the input.
This build is the MOST unconventional rod I've ever been involved with but, it's kinda a "bucket list" thing for my 84 year old bestest fishin Bud. I told him he's gonna have a tuff time hanging onto it and his answer was "Well Jon, you're just gonna have to hold me by the belt then..." I've been trying to talk him out of it for years but he WON'T forget it! He swears he'll love it and says he's wasted a lot more on a lot less in the past if it doesn't work. I'm giving in...
Our blank will be a Northfork B80H. It's advertised as having a size 7 tip but I haven't received it yet to confirm. It's got a line rating of 30-60lb. I'm 90% sure I'm gonna chop about 6" off of the tip which will help fill the size 10 tip top tube anyway and give us a little more power. 14" of the rod will be butt.
We typically use 7' rods, Calstars or MHX Nearshore (LOVE these) rod blanks. Our favorite platform for tuna fishing is a "Party" boat. We enjoy the comradery and chance to "do it our way" that you don't get on a six pack. We are able to fish the entire perimeter of the boat. The rail of the boat is 6-8' off of the water. The reason for the longer rods is because if a tuna makes a run under the boat or is "death circling" it's way to the surface it's sometimes necessary to reach the rod tip down to the water in order to keep the line away from the vessel. We also incorporate about a 12" foregrip because "the rail is your friend" and can be used as a fulcrum in a battle. We don't use harnesses. I KNOW 7-8' seems way too long but after 30 years of R and D we've found it's what works the best for us.
Forgive me for being long-winded but I felt like I had to explain what we were up to...

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 23, 2022 08:58PM

Jon

From the drift of this thread I come to the conclusion that your bestest fishin Bud understands the concept of "CUSTOM ROD BUILDING", Glad you are giving in, the ride will be exciting and rewarding.

Please share the results.

Have Fun

John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster