I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flipping blank
Posted by: Matt Gifford (161.31.40.---)
Date: April 20, 2022 11:34AM

Has anyone ever built a 7' flipping/pitching rod out of the Rainshadow Immortal IMMP70H-TC. This blank is listed for inshore, but has the power (Heavy) and action (MF) I'm looking for.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flipping blank
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (131.123.51.---)
Date: April 20, 2022 01:30PM

The popping line blanks are designed for use with popping corks and bait for inshore fishing. They also make very nice crank bait rods in the freshwater world. While the specs of action and power look promising, the IMMP70H will not make a good flipping stick. It would be more suited for larger deep diving crank baits such as the Rapala DT14.

Because of the power needed, a graphite flipping blank is generally going to come in with a blank weight closer to 3oz than 2oz.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 20, 2022 05:23PM

Matt, as Joe said, popping blanks are reported to make good crankbait rods. Crankbait rods don't make good flipping or pitching rods. The power curve is different. So what Joe said is spot on.

I too have grown fond of a mod fast action for a flipping and pitching rod. There isn't much to choose from from Rainshadow when it comes to blanks suitable for flipping and pitching that have a mod fast action.

I've built two rods on NCF MB 709 IM blanks that I use for flipping and pitching, and I absolutely love them. It has a mod fast action and is rated for 3/8 - 2 oz, and 14 - 30 # line. The blank has gobs of power, which I love, but I really love the feeling of confidence I have when I have a big fish at boat side on a short line. It is offered in Delta, SM (standard modulus) IM (intermediate modulus) and HM. (high modulus) I opted for the IM blank because I thought it might offer a little more durability over an HM blank. The blank offers outstanding sensitivity. and as I said, gobs of power.

It's a blank you may want to seriously consider.

If you're looking for an Immortal blank I have a rod built on an IMMC72MH blank that I use for flipping and pitching. Sensitivity is slightly better than the MB 709 IM, It's fast action and it too has gobs of power. It is a real fish mover on the hook set. I will say that I feel I have to rush fish in the boat more with the rod built on the Immortal, than I do the NFC, but it is an awesome rod, and a phenomenal blank. I also use it as my frog rod. It will flat out move fish.

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: April 20, 2022 08:58PM

I built an IMMP70H for big spinnerbaits, and it works great. Not even close to a flipping blank. It is truly moderate fast like you want, but not nearly enough power. I have an NFC delta SW764 which I think would fit your needs. It's pretty sensitive, stout enough to throw 2 oz musky baits, and I would call it moderate fast. Sorry I don't have CCS ratings on it. Also, for 55 bucks it is a great deal.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: April 21, 2022 07:54AM

Peter, the SW764 also makes a heck of an ARIG rod!!

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: April 21, 2022 06:28PM

Sadly the fine folks of the Minnesota DNR do not believe in A-rigs. Might be kinda tough to catch fish if only one of your 5 lures has a hook.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2022 08:54AM

wOW..bass tournament pros need more than one lure to catch a fish?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2022 09:45AM by ben belote.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 22, 2022 09:44AM

LOL Ben ..... and we need more than one rod, too !!!

Oh wait ..... I'm not a pro ..... but I still need more than one rod lol

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: April 22, 2022 11:32PM

TV show fishermen only need a foot ruler to measure five pound bass!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster