I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank recommendation - light to medium light trout rod
Posted by: Andreas Kump (---.hdsl.highway.telekom.at)
Date: April 18, 2022 06:39AM

Hello everybody,

I am looking for a blank suitable for lure weights up to 13g (spoons) and slightly bigger minnows between 7cm - 9cm. For trout fishing I generally prefer slightly softer rods, specially under load I like a nice
parabolic action. I am totally fine with medium-fast or fast rated rods though, as long as the work nicely under load.
So far I've selected the following blanks based on what I could read on similar topics, the problem is mainly that most trout rods use lighter blanks, so I am a bit worried that higher rated blanks might be a bit too
stiff/strong. Further I am not sure how accurate these blanks are specified, will a blank rated up to 14g like the TR78 provide sufficient power to conveniently use 13g spoons without having to worry about the rod when
full casting? I am using a Yamaga Blanks Lupus 71 at the moment which is rated from 3-12g and 10g spoons are the max. I'd use without worries.

Suzuki RXF 762 12lb
Matagi T-Russell TR78 Super Nimble Minnow
CTS Air EA804-2
Fishing Arts Blaas F SLF7610-2N or Blaas M SLM7612-2N

If somebody has experience with any of these specific blanks and could share his thoughts I'd much appreciate it. Also if somebody would have another suggestions, I am of course open to it too!

Thank you,
Andreas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank recommendation - light to medium light trout rod
Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: April 18, 2022 01:02PM

I really like the AT Matrix Steelhead blank. While only rated at 4-8lb line, it will handle lures or bait from 3/8oz to 1oz (10 grams to 28 grams) The description indicates a "Fast" action, but I have found it to be much softer and parabolic than your typical fast action blank, and it loads really well along its entire length. So well in fact that I have built Kokanee Downrigger rods with it! While it is a little longer (9'6") and a 2-piece blank, it may well be just what you're looking for!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2022 01:03PM by Richard Bowers.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 18, 2022 04:20PM

Andreas,
I also appreciate a full flexing rod to increase my Fish Fighting Fun Factor for trout. I have discovered that FG is my preference and a vintage NOS Conolon blank utilizing modern components puts the experience over-the-top. Fast - Med Fast action but still bend nicely to the butt, within your lure weight, 6 -7ft, absolutely gorgeous dark brown weave pattern with a coat of PG, and you will be fishing a part of history. I have 3 or 4 models in stock which would suit your purpose very well. Email me if interested further.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 19, 2022 12:07PM

Get with Rodhouse France to the left, they carry some of your choices and know their product lines well. Croatian trout are a bit out of some of my experience.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster