I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Blank Variance
Posted by: Joshua Miller (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 15, 2022 10:58AM

Hello Everyone,

I am new to Rod Building and as I am starting to do more of the same rod configuration I have come across something that I would like some feedback on.
Recently I ordered 2 of the exact same blank. I ordered parts for each of the blanks with and exposed blank reel seat. When the parts came in one fits perfectly, the other the reel seat slides all the way down to the end of the blank. Going forward I will underside the seat and reem it out to fit the rod perfectly(contrary to what my wife believes I can learn new things).

My question to the group is: Do you see large variances between the same spec'd blank? What is "normal"?
This is what I got:
Carbon Fiber Blanks
Blank #1 Butt: .565 Tip: 4.5
Blank #2 Butt: .531 Tip: 3.5

I reached out to the manufacturer a few times and haven't heard from them. It has been 2 months and I need to see if I should just build it as is or is it something that I should sent back for being out of tolerance.

Thank you for taking the time to read and any advice is appreciated.

Josh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Blank Variance
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 15, 2022 11:25AM

That kind of variation within a particular model is not normal in my experience. You most probably received two different models by mistake, that does happen from time to time.
Norm

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (172.58.99.---)
Date: April 15, 2022 11:41AM

This is not normal as Norm has stated. Blanks are built on a mandril designated for a particular model, so they should be within a given tolerance. Hopefully the allowed tolerance isn't that much.

Posted by: Joshua Miller (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 15, 2022 12:27PM

Thank you Norm and Lance. I thought something was off but I just don't have the experience to know for sure. I will reach out to them manufacturer again.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (97.104.222.---)
Date: April 17, 2022 09:57AM

I would lay odds that the native language of the manufacturer is not English.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 17, 2022 11:57AM

And I would lay odds that the native language of the manufacturer is most decidedly English.

3 of the last 5 blanks I have ordered from a well known US blank manufacturer, have had dimensions that were not even close to the dimensions the manufacturer provided for those blanks. I have no doubt that 2 of the blanks were not the blanks I ordered. The other blank in question is either not the blank I ordered, or the dimensions for the blank provided by the manufacturer are horribly misprinted, or ...... the adherence to tolerances in the manufacturing process are grossly disregarded.

A blank that is reported to have a tip size of 4.5 should not require a 5.5 tip top to fit it. If a blank is reported to have a butt diameter of .560" it should not have a butt diameter of .579"

I get so tired of people saying that anything built overseas is junk or has no quality control. Where the product is built has zero to do with quality control.

In fact, I have purchased more than a few rod blanks that were built overseas, and never have I questioned if I got the right blank or not. As far as blanks that I have sent back because of quality issues. I have sent back 2 blanks that were manufactured in the USA, and only 1 that was built overseas.

So please stop with the nonsense that anything built in the US is golden, and anything built overseas is trash. Because it just isn't so .......

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 19, 2022 05:29PM

Agree, David. If we in the US don't get our act together very soon we are going to be in bigger trouble than we are now in. And we are in big trouble right now. Not because the others are smarter, but they are willing to work and continually improve. The Japanese almost killed the US auto industry due to its complacence and failure to recognize what the competition was doing. We taught them quality then forgot it. Going forward we must get rid of the assumptions that others have lower quality and are less capable. Because they are Chinese. Or Japanese. Or Mexican. From my experience people from these three cultures are not only smart, but work hard, and I am not hesitant to hire any of them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster