I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: NOT AN OPTICAL ILLUSION!
Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: April 17, 2022 12:03AM

David,

The paint is naturally matte - I think one of the reasons why it is so dark is because it does not reflect light...we tried pointing a laser beam at it...and it absorbs it almost in its entirety.

I don't have much experience with Perma Gloss, but if it reflects light, it may not be as dark after it is coated.

Best Regards,
Aleks

David Sytsma Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow!! That's amazing. If it's naturally a gloss
> finish, this comment isn't relevant, but if you
> find the paint to be compatible with Perma Gloss,
> that would do a good job of protecting it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 17, 2022 05:51PM

As far as naming the blank line up, if it comes to fruition .... Black Hole was my first thought, but it is already in use. Abyss would be a great name, but Phenix is already using that name for a line of their blanks. Stealth is being used by Century Rods.

Void isn't bad, and a quick Google search doesn't show that name in use, but that doesn't mean a lot when you are potentially infringing on another products name.

Deep Space might not be a good name for a rod blank series, but it would be a good name for an available color for an already existing line of blanks. Or just the more popular blanks in a specific line up.

I hope you guys can work something out with this color. It is really really cool, and reminds me of shadows I've seen in horror movies.

Alien would be a great name for a rod blank series, but there are products other than rod blanks that use Alien as part of their name. Particularly Alien Gear Holsters. Although, Alien Gear is also name of a computer company.

I like Alien ...... images of the creature from the movie series conjures thoughts of viciousness and merciless. Yeah .... Alien would be good. Real good.

Posted by: Michael Fischetti (---)
Date: April 17, 2022 07:13PM

This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen, I'd definitely pay extra for that finish to cover extra costs haha. Chasm came to mind as a word describing it.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 17, 2022 10:59PM

I would describe this shade of black as Lunar Compost left behind from a passing eclipse.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Daniel Grundvig (---)
Date: April 18, 2022 09:54AM

NFC "Dark Matter"

Date: April 18, 2022 10:13AM

NFC "Dark Matter"

Date: April 18, 2022 10:13AM

NFC "Dark Matter" OOOPs...What happened with the triple post? My Bad!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2022 10:15AM by Daniel Grundvig.

Posted by: Tim I. Johnson (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 18, 2022 03:40PM

Aleks,
Really cool as everyone has commented. my vote for the name and tag line " Dark Matter, no one has ever seen it but it must exist "
TJ

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 18, 2022 04:19PM

Dark Matter .... I like it !!!

Cast my vote for Dark Matter as well !!!

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 19, 2022 11:16AM

It sure does not look like a predator, I think? They mostly have light undersides to blend with the sky.

Posted by: Mike Morrison (131.119.1.---)
Date: April 21, 2022 11:45AM

"SPACE" the Final Frontier

Posted by: Shawn Mattson (---)
Date: April 25, 2022 09:40AM

That's an incredible color

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: April 26, 2022 06:11PM

Thank you ALL!

As a Star Trek nerd, Space The Final Frontier had a definite “soft spot” for me...

I need to see if we can work “Picard” in there...

We are going to spray it again with a toughener in the next week or so, I promise to post an update.

Best Regards,
Aleks

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (97.104.222.---)
Date: April 28, 2022 03:57PM

Would a rod builder buy a blank which is already painted black and then cover the wrappings with black paint - and then clear coat - or would a rod builder buy a blank, wind on the guides and any decorative wrappings, and then paint the whole shebang black?

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster