I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metallic thread and cp
Posted by: Shane Undeberg (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 08, 2022 11:17AM

Hi, I'm completing my first build and this site has been an immense help, so thank you all!

I'm getting ready to epoxy my wraps and upon a small test, the color preserver makes the metallic accent threads seem very dull. I haven't tried an epoxy test but I'm guessing they won't get regain their sparkle with epoxy. I would skip the cp but I used too dark of a blue for the main color and without cp it turns almost black on the rod. There is a small chance I will tear it all out and re-do it with a lighter blue to avoid CP. I was hoping to avoid this as I have about 10 hours into the butt wrap. I know the second time will go quicker but still...

My instinct tells me this is just something I'll have to live with but wanted to throw it out here in case I simply made a poor choice in products. I'm using Thread master Chromaseal and PacBay metallics.

Thanks for any advice

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metallic thread and cp
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (172.58.100.---)
Date: April 08, 2022 12:55PM

I have not had that issue with CP making the metallic thread dull. I always use Flex Coat brand, but I think its all the same water based acrylic type coating. If you are that worried about it do a test wrap on something, apply the CP then coat it with your wrapping epoxy. Good luck.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 08, 2022 02:32PM

None of my metallics need CP, they stay color true without. I have never used Pac Bay though. I also used Flexcoat CP if I need it.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 08, 2022 03:52PM

I always use Flex Coat CP and metallic trim bands and have never noticed dulling. I would test it with your planned epoxy. Might be a wasted worry.

One thing CP does is prevent the pearl metallic from going transclucent.

Date: April 08, 2022 05:27PM

So I have single silver accent threads running within 4 layers of chevron wraps. Not coating just the metallics is impossible.
It's not that they change color, they are the same silver, but do not reflect as much light as the uncoated. I'm probably being too picky.
I'll add flexcoat cp to my shopping list the next time I order something to see if it makes a difference.
I did epoxy some cp coated practice trim bands and they did not return to the same sparkle as bare metallics. Thanks for the replies.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: April 08, 2022 10:33PM

I also find that CP does effect the luster of metallics. Most CP's are acrylic solutions that can leave a film on the surface, that's how they work.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 09, 2022 01:19AM

Shane,
Leave the CP off all of the thread, and simply coat the wraps with epoxy.

The colors will grow on you and you will end up really liking the rod.

No need to do any rewrapping.

In the future, any time you go to do a wrap, do a test wrap with the thread in question and give it a generous coat of denatured alcohol. The addition of the alcohol, that will evaporate fairly quickly will illustrate the final color of the finished rod with no cp applied and just epoxy. i.e. the color right after soaking the thread with denatured alcohol. If the color is too dark for you, then find lighter colored thread, so that when coated the final color will end up being exactly what you are looking for.

In all of the rods that I have ever built, I have only used cp on a handful of rods, simply because it was something specifically requested by the client. Otherwise, I simply wrap and then coat with epoxy.

Your rods, your choices.

Take care

Date: April 09, 2022 09:44AM

I think what we are dealing with is a difference in expectations. I think that the difference between CP on metallics and no CP on metallics is subtle enough for me not to notice dulling, but significant enough for others to notice and object.

Relative to not using Cp at all, if one wants to get bright, vibrant, colors you just cannot use regular nylon or polyester thread withut CP and expect to get them. There are some neat colors that one gets from using regular nylon without CP, but bright and vibrant does not describe them in my opinion. NoCP thread is an option, but I for one don't like it because it doesn't have the sheen of regular threads with CP.

Another option that may allow CP use without dulling is to try one of the clear CP's. I did a long time ago and got blotching, but some might be entirely different today.

I think one has to decide what his priorities and preferences are. It seems everything has compromises involved. Testing for one's self is in order.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (97.104.222.---)
Date: April 09, 2022 10:03AM

Shining, bright fishing rods waving in the air might spook fish in close quarters and shallow water but in other venues they can be a pleasing decoration.

Date: April 09, 2022 10:15AM

Phil,
Exactly, black on black makes a nice stealth rod that looks fine, fishes well and does not spook the fish.

Take care

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 09, 2022 11:09AM

As far as bass go, some of the bright colors in boats and clothing that float up along side these fish make me wonder just how important it all is. Things are just the opposite for trout, salmon, and steelhead, any kind of difference in their surroundings can have them hunkered down, or scurrying for cover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2022 02:11PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: April 09, 2022 02:57PM

Sorry, ProWrap, we only need one of your 80 colors. And that black had not better be glossy. :-)

Date: April 09, 2022 11:09PM

Haha, you guys are too funny!. I know many of you do not appreciate flashy thread work but I want my first couple builds to stand out a little more than something off the rack. Also, my colors are dark blue, grey, and black, with a few strands of silver metallic so it's not exactly like I'm waving a disco ball (disco stick?) around in the air.

For the previous suggestions, I did try the alcohol trick somewhere along the way but not before the wraps were on. I will keep that in mind for the next one. I do like the color with CP but I didn't test on the metallics before I wrapped the rod. After testing the metallics with CP they looked looked dull, which led me to ask the question.

Can someone point me to a clear CP? One that doesn't look and smell like watered down Elmer's glue?

I did take some epoxied test wraps out in the sun today and they look much better outside than under lights. I'll probably go my usual route, stare at it for a few days, then hem and haw for a couple more, go with what I planned I the first place and then wonder what took me so long to finish the project. :)

Posted by: Tim I. Johnson (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 10, 2022 12:08PM

Hi Shane ,
You can try CP Extra from VooDoo Rods ( sponser on the left) its clear but is not water soluble. Ive used it with good results.

Date: April 10, 2022 12:34PM

Thanks Tim, I'll check it out.

Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.raintreegraphics.com)
Date: April 11, 2022 08:41AM

Shane, I've been using Fish Hawk 638 Teal Nylon thread. On a black or gray blank it turns to a really pretty midnight blue without color preserver. What I like about this thread is I can get many shades of teal/blue depending on the blank color and it does not look too dark like some nylon thread will do. I also used it on a pearl white blank and it popped like anything. A very versatile thread. I know you have your blank wrapped and what is done is done but if it's one thing I learned, redoing it takes a lot of time, but then again, not redoing and you'll be looking at a rod you aren't happy with for a lot longer of a time. I have a few of those that I just don't like.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 11, 2022 10:28AM

Sorry, but in my experience, wiping a wrap with alcohol does not represent the color the wrap will be once epoxy is applied. Alcohol doesn't cause the gain in translucency that epoxy does. Or at least it hasn't in my experience.

And it may not be something you want to hear, but what Fred said about redoing it if you aren't happy with it, versus leaving it, and learning to live with it, is the same way I feel.

It may grow on you, it may not. If it doesn't, fixing it after finish is applied is a lot more of a pain than fixing it before hand.

Date: April 11, 2022 04:23PM

David,
Sorry, I have to disagree about the alcohol comment.

Essentially have a test wrap, soak it with alcohol and for about 20 seconds - before it begins to dry - I have found that the resultant color is very close to the color of the thread that will appear with a coat or two of epoxy after the epoxy has dried with no application of color preserver before applying the finish.

Now, let the alcohol dry for a minute or more, then you are spot on. Once the alcohol has began to dry, the color changes.

Best wishes.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 12, 2022 07:48AM

Roger, no problems in disagreeing. Totally understandable. It just hasn't worked out that way for me.

Maybe it's the color of thread I was using. I was using a light colored thread, and it was noticeably darker with epoxy on it versus the alcohol test I did when I did a test wrap.

Anyhow .... glad you have trust in the method. I just do test wraps, and coat them with epoxy on a scarp piece of rod blank that I have. That way I'm sure.

Date: April 12, 2022 08:04AM

David,
Perfect.

I should also add, I do not use light colored thread in any of my builds so that could explain the difference as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2022 08:05AM by roger wilson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster