I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Variated Thread Pens
Posted by: Lee Swaim (---)
Date: April 06, 2022 06:30PM

I saw a recent article on variated thread designs while wrapping and I thought I would give it a try. I ordered faber-Castell pens but the ink soaks into the thread and doesn't stand out. What kind of pens have you guys used that have been successful? I'm attempting the "purple camo" kind of look.

Thanks,

Lee

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Variated Thread Pens
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2022 07:38PM

You will need more of a "paint pen" style. I thought that was in the article but perhaps not.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 06, 2022 07:39PM

The thread itself is variegated, no pens involved.

Date: April 06, 2022 07:42PM

I believe he is wanting to take solid color thread and create variegated thread. There was an article on how to do this in a past RodMaker article. The effect is quite stunning.

Posted by: Lee Swaim (---.cdn77.com)
Date: April 06, 2022 08:07PM

Tom,

You are exactly right! The article did say paint pens and I thought I purchased the correct kind. Are you referring to the paint pens that the tips will slightly depress and allow more ink to flow out of them?

Date: April 06, 2022 09:01PM

I didn't write that article so I'm not sure, but it seems like the paint pens require you to depress the tip to get the paint flowing. It's actually paint, not ink.

Date: April 06, 2022 09:32PM

Tom, just to clarify, I'm not worried about who wrote the article or even upset at all that I ordered the wrong ones. You have pointed me in the right direction and I'll give the actual paint pens that dispense paint at the tip a shot. I appreciate the help!

Date: April 07, 2022 07:49AM

Oh I didn't mean it that way - just pointing out that since another person wrote the article I wasn't 100% sure if the pens he used were the type that had to have the tip depressed to start the ink flowing.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 07, 2022 01:02PM

Hello Lee & Tom.

I think I found the article, what is the name of the article, and-or the author's name?

I found 2 article from Bill Colby 1 using Pens & 1 using CP to make the stripes, and I found an article from Nuno Paulino who uses vinyl, and Ron Harris uses Testor's paint to make the stripes, The one that uses pens (19/5/22) is the one I think you are talking about.

Vol/Issue---------Article------------------------------------Author---------------Page.
22-5 Feature: Tiger/Zebra Stripe Wraps By Nuno Paulino. 12
19/6 Feature: Random Paint Wraps, Revisited. By Ron Harris. 14
19/5 Feature: Random Paint Wraps. By Bill Colby. 22
9/6 Feature: Variegated Thread Wraps. By Bill Colby. 22

Thanks for the help.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines..

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2022 04:12PM by Robert A. Guist.

Date: April 07, 2022 06:44PM

There would be some color combinations where a regular permanent ink pen would be fine. Such as dark ink on a light colored thread. But if you want to put a lighter color on a darker thread, then I think you are going to have to go the paint pen route.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 07, 2022 08:55PM

My mistake Lee, but it sounds like you have it under control. Good luck.

Date: April 08, 2022 04:01PM

Tom,

I found some of those style paint pens you recommended and the results were much better. Thanks!

Date: April 08, 2022 04:11PM

Any time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster