I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Form versus Function
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 13, 2022 04:51PM

Tom and Robert, thank you much for the replies. Much appreciated.

I took interest in an earlier thread that talked about coring grips. Very cool idea. At the time I hadn't thought I would ever consider it as I am not one that worries about weight behind the reel seat all that much. That was before I built a grip using 4" of rubberized cork. I knew it was going to be heavier than an all cork grip, I just didn't expect it to be that much heavier. As it sits in the photo it weighs 1.6 oz. It current has a .5" ID and I have to open it up to .574 to fit the blank it's going on.

It's going to be going on a flipping and pitching rod that I am building, and I will be putting weight in the butt to get to balance the way I like, so the added weight isn't a huge concern. It's just that the majority of the weight of the grip is in its' mid section. Not the most efficient position as far as using the added weight to lessen the amount I will have to put in it.

If I ever build another one like it, I will definitely consider coring it and adding a foam core. Especially if it's going on a rod that won't require me adding weight to get the type of balance I am looking for. I'd just rather not take the chance of messing this one up. I'm hoping once I get it reamed and the final contouring done, that I can get it down under 1.5 oz.

Have to weight lol and see.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 14, 2022 12:28PM

David - I’ve made a few grips using burl cork, and to reduce their weight I have used polyurethane foam arbors. The way I do it is quite easy and works well, and you don’t have to core out the handle after you have made it. I fit 20mm, or 24 mm foam arbors, or both on the mandrel, and then drill, ream or punch out the burl cork rings to fit the foam arbors, and glue them in place. Once the glue has cured I turn the handle to shape it. You can now easily ream the handle to fit your blank. When using a 20 mm foam arbor you leave some extra at the end of the handle to serve as a tenon for your butt cap, and a 24 mm foam arbor can be used as a tenon for your casting reel seat. Not that difficult to do and works well.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2022 03:40PM

Norman, thank you for the response, Very much appreciated. And yes, the way you just described is the way I thought I would approach it, if I were to ever do another similar grip. So seeing you post doing that way gives me solace that it was a good way to approach it.

And while the burl weighs more than regular cork. it''s that dang rubberized cork that's really heavy. But as tough as it is to sand, I know it's going to stand up to wear, very well. I'm reaming the newest one to fit the same blank I built my first cork grip for. I'll see which one I like more and then use that one.

I'm leaning towards this newest one because it looks a lot more custom. I've spent the last three years as pre tournament live well checker for the tournaments I fish. I get to see a lot of rods laying on decks. Haven't seen anything like it on any of the decks of my fellow competitors.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 15, 2022 04:36PM

I also have done ramps the way Norman describes, works great. I paint them to make sure I have consistent color between the ramp on the front and rear, and if painted in a light color they provide a great background for a feather inlay.

Regarding burl cork, I use it often on spin for ramps and butt knob, with rubberized cork ring at the end of the butt knob. On my latest build the three pieces weighed .643 oz, including the epoxy to mount them to the blank. Even with a size 17 DPSSM seat + lock nut the rod will come in about 3.5 oz. (XRay 6100 Drop Shot )

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 16, 2022 07:04AM

Well, after reaming and some more contouring the weight of the grip is down to 1.35 oz. Despite the majority of the weight of the grip not being optimally located for balancing purposes, the added weight of the grip is definitely going to reduce the amount of weight I am going to have to add once the rod is finished and the reel is on.

This is the second rod I've built on the MB 709 blank, and I have a 9.75" grip that I made using the CFX grip making kit, on the first one. I added 2.125 oz to the butt of that rod to get the type of rod and reel balance I was looking for. If I were to guess, I am thinking I'll need to add 1.75 oz to this one to get the same type combo balance.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster