I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

RODBUILDING.ORG TUTORIAL
Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: April 04, 2022 08:57PM

Just finished a nice 7' MXF speck rod for a buddy.

Just this last week or so, I learned that color preserver actually does work, and the new technique of starting the pull through loop early is the best thing since sliced bread.

Thank you Rodbuilding forum.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RODBUILDING.ORG TUTORIAL
Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: April 04, 2022 10:32PM

Mark,

What was it the Cheshire Cat said to Alice? Well, I forget, too. The point is that you are about to go down a long and wonderful rabbit hole with this forum!

Enjoy the ride!

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 04, 2022 11:24PM

Mark,
There are many on this forum who graciously offer their knowledge and assistance to many others who simply ask. It is unfortunate that modern society is gravitating away from simple yet deserved acknowledgement of those who offer that knowledge and assistance, more commonly known as a “thank you”. Your thank you here will be greatly appreciated and guarantee many more replies to your questions. From many, thanks for your thanks.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: April 05, 2022 09:10AM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mark,
> There are many on this forum who graciously offer
> their knowledge and assistance to many others who
> simply ask. It is unfortunate that modern society
> is gravitating away from simple yet deserved
> acknowledgement of those who offer that knowledge
> and assistance, more commonly known as a “thank
> you”. Your thank you here will be greatly
> appreciated and guarantee many more replies to
> your questions. From many, thanks for your thanks.

YES!!
Herb

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 05, 2022 12:31PM

When I started building, like many here, there was no internet (or least not one that could be used by common people) so we had to find someone to show us how or get it from the few books that were around at the time. Maybe even come up with your own way, which would usually lead to frustration when encountering a problem. Every rod builder that I ever approach for help always offered their advice and would gladly show you how to do it. What we have on this forum is proof that rod builders are in general, good people that will help you when needed. I would call that a friend.

Posted by: Nick McCasey (---.nhvn.fibertech.com)
Date: April 05, 2022 02:20PM

Yes, this forum and the search option are a wealth of info! On my most recent build (a 8'6" 4wt. CTS Affinity MX... Thanks Herb!) I decided to try my hand at using epoxy to create a ramp to the cork instead of using a winding check. Found all sorts of good pointers using the search function, and after practicing once on a scrap piece of blank, I felt confident I could do it. Creating the ramp was a piece of cake and I wrapped with thread and applied finish over the top. I don't know if I'll ever bother with a winding check at the front of my grips again (one less part to have to wait for the blank to arrive to order).

Posted by: Nick McCasey (---.nhvn.fibertech.com)
Date: April 05, 2022 02:20PM

Yes, this forum and the search option are a wealth of info! On my most recent build (a 8'6" 4wt. CTS Affinity MX... Thanks Herb!) I decided to try my hand at using epoxy to create a ramp to the cork instead of using a winding check. Found all sorts of good pointers using the search function, and after practicing once on a scrap piece of blank, I felt confident I could do it. Creating the ramp was a piece of cake and I wrapped with thread and applied finish over the top. I don't know if I'll ever bother with a winding check at the front of my grips again (one less part to have to wait for the blank to arrive to order).

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 05, 2022 08:21PM

What Mark said.

Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.raintreegraphics.com)
Date: April 06, 2022 10:41AM

Agreed, this forum is priceless to me. Everyone here is very friendly and professional. I only hope one day I will have the expertise that many of you do so I too, can share more from experience. It took some time for the reality of it all to set in and that this is a journey, not a race.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2022 10:42AM by Fred Zimmermann.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: April 06, 2022 04:23PM

Nick, next time try using a piece of left over foam arbor to make your ramp.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 13, 2022 11:25AM

Different rod makers have different goals. Some are in it for profit, some for creative expression, some to save money, some to improve performance or durability, some to combat boredom. This forum provides different types of advice for users with different requirements and different goals. - That, not criticism, is why this forum has prospered.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2022 11:30AM by Phil Ewanicki.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 14, 2022 08:40AM

Right on Russell, I'm surprised more attention has not been given to using rigid polyurethane arbors as ramps. I've made many over the years and never had one fail when coated with about 3 coats of wrap epoxy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster