I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pens
Posted by: John W. Scarborough (---.wrbg.centurylink.net)
Date: April 02, 2022 09:39PM

Hello,
This is my first post and has more than likely been mentioned.

But, can anyone recommend a good pen for righting on blanks?

Something thin lined that I can seal over.

Thanks for any help and advice.
John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pens
Posted by: Tyler Reinert (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 02, 2022 10:17PM

If you go to the search feature and look up calligraphy and set the "date" to all dates. You will find alot of information on the matter. I just searched it to check and found many posts on the matter and tons of answers. Hope this helps.

Date: April 02, 2022 11:07PM

Thank you.
I'll do that

Posted by: Tyler Reinert (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 02, 2022 11:11PM

No problem man. I never looked into writing on blanks myself as my penmanship is horrendous! So I've got to stick to labels/decals and thread work.

Date: April 02, 2022 11:18PM

Tyler,
I'm the same way. I don't have very good penmanship either.
But, I'm gonna give it a whirl and see what happens.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 03, 2022 08:29AM

I know nothing about the folks who commented on writing.
But, if you have a friend, spouse or other, who is close - you might ask them about doing calligraphy for you.

In my case, my wife is an artist and she is the one who has written on all of the rods that I have made over the years.

In our case, we use a quill pen and acrylic ink from Speed Ball or Dick Blick art supplies.

I simply wipe down the blank, my wife does the lettering and then when dry, coat the letting at the same time that I put on the first coat of thread epoxy over the threads.

However, one important thing with respect to the lettering. I do not ever brush the finish that has just been lettered. Rather, I apply a generous coat of finish on both side of the lettering and as the finish is spreading, it will come over the lettering and seal the finish.

If I use a brush on the fresh lettering, there is a chance that the lettering gets smeared. But when applying the first coat of finish I insure that the finish is thin enough to flow well and the finish spreads nicely over the lettering with no change to the lettering.

After the first coat has dried, any succeeding coats can be brushed out with no issues to the lettering that is nicely sealed from the first coat.

Quill, pen and ink as follows:

[www.dickblick.com]

[www.dickblick.com]

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 03, 2022 11:30AM

I use a dip pen with a speedball fine tip nib. I use it with Dr. Ph. Martins ‘IRIDESCENT CALLIGRAPHY COLOR’ in gold, silver or black. This particular kind of ink will not run when over coated with epoxy finish, or even Permagloss. It flows very well and if you make a mistake you can remove it with an alcohol wipe. Both the dip pen and the iridescent calligraphy color can be purchased in many hobbies stores, such as Micheals and Hobby Lobby.
[www.speedballart.com]
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 03, 2022 12:11PM

Having a spacer under my hand similar in height to the rod while writing helps me. A paperback book is portable enough but large enough to usually work well.

Date: April 03, 2022 12:57PM

Thank you, everyone.

I'll be stopping at whatever hobby store is in town and getting a quill pen and ink by Dr. Ph Martin.

I'm kinda on my own on signing my rods and any other righting that I want done.

Thanks again.
John

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 03, 2022 02:32PM

Make sure the it’s the iridescent calligraphy color.. All other types of ink may run when over coated.
Norm

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 03, 2022 02:33PM

Not an answer to the OP's question, but another related question: are there transparent printer labels that can be purchaed for ink-jet printers, that would work for printing your own label decals?

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 03, 2022 02:50PM

Robert Flowers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not an answer to the OP's question, but another
> related question: are there transparent printer
> labels that can be purchaed for ink-jet printers,
> that would work for printing your own label
> decals?
Brother P Touch label printers with white on clear label tape. You will need the actual Brother label Printer. There are also other label printers that will do a color ink on clear tape.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 03, 2022 03:08PM

Hello Robert.

There have been a lot written on the subjects:

Vol/Issue------Article------------Author----------------Page
12/1 Decal Tips & Tricks! Their Electric. By Tom Kirkman. 16
9/2 Decaling, The Art of. By Jimi Ellis. 22
12/1 Decals & Labels, They're Electric. By Bobby Feazel. 10
18/5 Decals For Your Custom Rod (From The Pearl Lable Makers). By Pat Barnard. 14
15/1 Inlays Using Gold Wire. By Tom Kirkman. 14
12/6 Inscription Diamond. By Randy Duket. 18
16/5 Inscriptions, A Foundation For… Better Hand Inscriptions. By Tom Kirkman & Dave Mayer. 22
3/4 Inscriptions, Fixing Mistakes (in the area). 22
2/3 Inscriptions, For Your Custom Rod. 10
2/3 Inscriptions, Gel & Paint Pens. 12
13/5 Inscriptions, Hidden in Plain Sight (Invisible Ink Identification Markings). By Tom Kirkman. 10
2/3 Inscriptions, Labels, Computer Generated . 15
3/4 Inscriptions, Labels; Metallic Colors On An Ink Jet? 24
2/3 Inscriptions, Pen & Ink. 11
2/3 Inscriptions, Printers, Dye Sublimation . 18
2/3 Inscriptions, Transfer Lettering. 13
2/3 Inscriptions, Useful Hints For Making Better Rod Inscriptions. 19
9/3 Labels, Ink Jet For Your Rod. By Tom Kirkman. 22

Good Luck & I hope this is helpful.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: April 03, 2022 04:47PM

Norman that's a big 10-4 on that.

Posted by: John Cates (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2022 05:59PM

[www.youtube.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Doug Duncan (216.67.140.---)
Date: April 07, 2022 08:16PM

Ive tried lots of different products and been disappointed with all of them I have used BIC Wite Out for a while now. It is water based so you can easily wipe away a mistake. It has never run from application of the finish.
I tried different methods to apply and have found that using a tooth pick is very cheap and easy. One thing that I figured out is to write small and try to use as thin an application as possible. I am not very good at penmanship but these things have really helped me. The ability to erase easily which Wite Out allows has made the process easier. Hope this helps you --it sure has made my finishing much easier

Posted by: Chuck Brezen (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 11, 2022 03:42PM

Hey Robert,

Yes, you can but it takes a bit of prep. I've done many emblems and labels on blanks. You have to seal them with Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear High Gloss spray paint. I use both white and clear Inkjet Water-slide decal paper. You can buy on Amazon. If you want to do butt emblems, use gloss photo paper and seal with same spray before insetting in butt cap.

Chuck

><))))">….><))))">….><))))">….Just Fish

Prior Lake Rod Building Guild
Instagram @pl_rod_building_guild

Posted by: Mike Bernazzani (---.res-cmts.mlf.ptd.net)
Date: April 14, 2022 06:33PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Make sure the it’s the iridescent calligraphy
> color.. All other types of ink may run when over
> coated.
> Norm

I wasn't personally a fan of the iridescent one, so I have done my last 3 graphite fly rods with Dr. PH Martin Bombay India Ink in white. I let it dry for a full 24 hours and Flex Coat didn't affect it at all. I tested it on the butt end before gluing the reel seat and cork. I also did a bamboo refurb with the black Bombay ink with no issues.
Mike B

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster