I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

One of Those Days!
Posted by: Daniel Grundvig (---)
Date: March 30, 2022 11:16AM

When I went to bed last night I was really happy about the finish on my new rod. The epoxy was super smooth and I couldn't see any bumps, thread nibs and no bubbles over the rod decal. Checked it after one hour and I figured one epoxy coat should do it, the rod drier was running smoothly and I would have a beautifully completed rod in the morning. Walked into the shop this morning and after a quick glance was really pleased, turned off the rod drier... and then I saw it. There under the hook keeper was a small fly spread eagled, completely imbedded in the epoxy. Kind of reminded me of the original King Kong movie where Faye Wray is tied between the two posts waiting for the inevitable. Since this was to be my rod, I considered coating the perfectly centered fly with more epoxy and leaving it as a joke but I thought better of it and carefully sliced it away with a razor blade. And like it or not, I had to apply a second coat of epoxy to cover the damage. I should have taken a picture but I was cutting before I thought about it- this is the first time I've had a fly in the "ointment." And in case you're wondering, yes, this was a fly rod...literally!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: One of Those Days!
Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2022 11:19AM

Wow, what bad luck, but at least you were able to fix it. That's something I never contended with, but it's very possible.

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: March 30, 2022 11:19AM

Maybe covering it would have been more appropriate! It was a message from heaven!

Date: March 30, 2022 11:24AM

It certainly would have been a conversation piece. Maybe on my next build I'll sacrifice a fly to my build. Builders imbed feathers so why not? Message from heaven? Maybe it was a sign to quit watching so many old horror movies.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 30, 2022 12:32PM

Hello All.

Bill Stevens once built a rod with flies all over it, he also built a fly-swatter rod, he sure was a card.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2022 05:36PM by Robert A. Guist.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2022 04:54PM

Daniel, in reference to it being a fly rod .... as I was reading your opening post I thought to my self, I wonder if it is a fly rod LOL

Definitely a bummer that it happened, but a GREAT story to share with us, and others. And as you said, kind of a bummer you didn't think of taking a picture in time. That would have been great to show people.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 30, 2022 07:42PM

Help me! Help me! (The Fly)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2022 07:45PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2022 07:54PM

LOL Lynn ... PERFECT !!!!

Date: March 31, 2022 10:42AM

I see I'm not the only person who grew up watching old horror movies. I have plenty of spiders in my shop so maybe I should have waited until I had a fly and a spider but of course dropping the big rock would have resulted in irreparable rod damage.

Posted by: Kevin Landers (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: March 31, 2022 01:19PM

That's rough!

Kevin Landers

Marketing Manager
American Tackle Co.

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 31, 2022 01:52PM

LOL!! Funny. I found a fly in my epoxy one morning only he had landed on the butt wrap and skittered all along the length before he died....making these really cool patterns in the epoxy with his wings.

Posted by: Scott Lees (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 11, 2022 06:22AM

I just had the Same thing happen with what we call Stink Bugs to a customers Rod.
I have to get a drying box set-up, all of my productivity ends when finishing starts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster