I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC Delta Blanks and Other Favorites
Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: March 30, 2022 09:57AM

I am new to the Delta line of blanks. I built a rod on the NFC SJ706 and was pleased with how light it is for this powerful of a stick. It feels great throwing a jig or 4-inch swimbait with underspin. Since there is a sale going on until the end of March at NFC, I wanted to grab a couple more. On my list I have the HS760 and MB704. Thinking about adding an MB724 to the shipping tube as well. In for a penny, right?

Is there a Delta blank you love, or any others from NFC for that matter, that a Kansas guy should have? I don't just fish for bass (we have good smallmouth and largemouth fishing around here) and target the usual suspects of the Midwest: Crappie, wipers and whites, and walleye.

I will get to asking about other brands in the near future!

Thanks for any and all input!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC Delta Blanks and Other Favorites
Posted by: Russell Brunt (50.220.227.---)
Date: March 30, 2022 10:44AM

I have too many that I like.

The X-ray SJ 703 is a particularly nice blank. I think the web site has the ratings reversed between the sj703 and sj732.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Scott Appley (---.ccgov.net)
Date: March 30, 2022 11:02AM

I've been building a few on the Delta's as well. I've built 5 on the MB703-1. I built two at Christmas and all of my buddy's wanted one for throwing Jigging Raps and blades for walleye. I threw plastic with it this weekend on a 3/8 head and it's about right. I've built two KDR 760-1 for trolling crankbaits. Have not had them in the boat yet but they feel right. I built 4 Hybrid CB704 Zentron for trolling for kokanee, they are very nice.

Posted by: Wade Hirai (138.199.57.---)
Date: March 30, 2022 12:22PM

The Delta blanks are awesome for the money. I might not be of much help since I'm in Northern California and mainly fish the rivers during the spawning run for strpers and king salmon. I have been using the MB705 to throw Texas rigged worms for striped bass for 4 years and it has performed very well. I also have the HS821 that I use to troll spinners for king salmon. Most of my rods are built on NFC blanks and they're all great but one that I especially love is the X-Ray SJ736, I just ordered another one.

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.37.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 30, 2022 12:31PM

Built a couple of Xray SB 683s for vertical jigging walleyes. They worked great this winter. Didnt get my ducks in a row and have placed 2 orders this spring already and now wishing I would have ordered an SJ 703 to try out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2022 01:14PM by Steven Paris.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: March 30, 2022 12:59PM

I second the SJ703. I use them for finesse underspins and swimbaits and for ned rigs under 1/8 oz.

A.P.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (50.220.227.---)
Date: March 30, 2022 01:41PM

And I’ll second the X-ray SJ736.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: March 30, 2022 03:32PM

SJ736 is my favorite pitching jig blank for 1/2 to 3/8oz casting and grass jigs.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2022 05:17PM

I have 2 rods built on what I thought were MB 736 X ray blanks, but the blank dimensions match those of the SJ 736, so I am going to start saying they are built on SJ 736 blanks. I absolutely love the rods I have built on them, but I am a bass fisherman so I use them for football jigs in the weights that Aaron mentioned above, and they are absolutely awesome for pitching 5" weightless Senkos. It's a great blank.

For crappie, I have a drop shot rod built on a DS 6107 IM blank. I use it when I go crappie fishing. It will bomb a 1 1/2" Bobby Garland minnow on a 1/16 oz jig head, and 4# mono. They don't list that blank anymore, but if I were to guess, based on lure weight, line rating, and named power, the DS 6101 IM is the same blank. The picture of the blank loaded with 12 oz looks about the same as well.

I finished a build over the winter on an SJ 704 IM. I haven't fished it yet, but it feels good. I'll be using it for Ned rigs, and shaky heads as well as grubs and small soft plastic swimbaits on 1/8 tp 1/4 oz heads.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: March 30, 2022 05:59PM

Let me know how that SJ 704 goes. Big hole in between the Xray SJ 736 and the SJ 732/703.

I just bought the Xray SJ 725 but it is claimed to be more powerful than the SJ 736. Can anyone that has both confirm?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2022 07:53PM

Russel, will do. I did CCS tests for IP and AA when I was setting it up for static load. IP is 533 grams. AA of 72. Based on the published dimensions for the blank, I was expecting it to be faster, and a little less powerful. The blank dimensions don't match those that are published, and the difference is well ........ pretty significant IMO.

I also ordered an MB 704 IM at the same time, and the dimensions for the SJ 704 are not that far off from those of the MB 704. The MB's numbers were very close to those advertised. I am in the process of building the MB 704 as a spinning rod for a friend and fellow tournament competitor. I'm almost to the point of placing guides, so I will do CCS testing on the MB blank. Going by that four letter word ..... feel, <wink> the SJ 704 is definitely less powerful than the MB 704, and the deflection profile is a bit different as well.

So it's not a mix up of the stickers identifying the blanks. I don't know .... it's just odd that the actual dimensions are that much different than advertised. Really like the way it feels though. I think it's going to work out quite nicely for its' intended purposes

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: March 30, 2022 08:26PM

Russell, without question the 725 is more powerful than the 736

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: March 30, 2022 09:05PM

Thank you David and Thomas.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster