I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

North Fork Composite Split Grip
Posted by: Tom Trapp (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2022 03:13PM

I am building a MB-664-1 (IM) with the 3k-ips3.75-2.0 soft touch grips. How do the pros know how to make the distance between the split grip?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: North Fork Composite Split Grip
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 29, 2022 03:25PM

The nice thing about split grips is you make the length of the handle any length you want. Handle length is a personal choice. Some people like long grips and others like short grips, your choice. Most of the grips I make for a 6’ 6” rod are from 8” to 10” from butt end of the blank to the butt end of the reel seat. However, I’ve made some longer and some shorter. I do like the NFC soft touch CF grips very much. They look great and are bullet proof.
Norm

Posted by: Zachary guyach (---)
Date: March 29, 2022 06:31PM

If you have another rod with a split grip length that you like, just copy that

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 29, 2022 07:14PM

Doesn't have to be a split grip rod, any similar rod you have around, or access to that has the right grip length is all the info you need.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: March 30, 2022 07:34AM

I measure from wrist to elbow. I personally like the butt to be right at the first crease of the inside of my elbow on most bass and light freshwater rods. This allows me to work a bait without interference on clothes or body. Fighting fish it is long enough to hold under my forearm for leverage.

Long casting rods like deep cranking rods in bass fishing I make longer because the way I fish them the long handle doesn't interfere with anything when I am retrieving. The long handle aids in casting.

A.P.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: March 30, 2022 09:27AM

I agree with all of the above, and I have made my split grips at various lengths to fit my comfort and purpose.

For example: I have a Med. Heavy rod that is 6'3" used when crawling into brush piles/laydowns, or fishing on a dock with all the poles, rails, and roof around me. My handle is 9-inches long. Easier to maneuver for me.
My largest swimbait rods have 14-inch handles for two-handed casting, and an arm tuck for better leverage on the bait (or larger fish).

Also, once you get the length you want, make sure your split-grip parts fit your hands the way you want. I found that for a spinning reel grip, I like a little longer mid grip because of the way I hold and cast the reel. My baitcasting set ups don't need as long of a mid grip piece (usually around 3.5 to 4 inches is plenty for me). The butt grip piece, for me, feels better if it is around 2 to 2.5 inches long; shorter than that and it sort of rubs my forearm in a way I don't like - feels 'nubby'.

Just a couple extra thoughts to consider.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster