I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Double Topic: Sweeping Guide Feet and Hand Care
Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: March 27, 2022 09:58AM

Topic One: Sweeping Guide Feet.
* When do you do it, if at all?
* What is your technique?

Topic Two: Rod Builders Hand Care.
* How do you take care of your hands?
* Any specific products or procedures you use?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Double Topic: Sweeping Guide Feet and Hand Care
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: March 27, 2022 10:53AM

Never heard the term "Sweeping Guide Feet"?????
Herb

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: March 27, 2022 11:54AM

Herb - Sweeping the guide foot is about removing/reducing that little ball of epoxy between the tip-facing foot of the guide and the rod blank when thread epoxy is applied. In my observation, it happens because the thread epoxy climbs the guide post right in front of the "tunnel" of the guide foot wraps. This is partially a result of the Forhan Locking Wraps I add when I attach single foot guides. I end up with six turns of thread on the tip-side of the guide foot. When I put epoxy in this area, it climbs the guide post a little bit, forming a small 'triangle' of epoxy between the guide post and the blank.

Perhaps it is a cosmetic issue only.

Herb - also Hand Care...Do you do anything in particular to take care of your hands? Personally, I don't do a whole lot, but I notice after a building session of using lots of alcohol wipes, my finger tips get super dry - and that leads to 'skin burrs' that snag my thread. So annoying! But I don't want to use any products that may contain 'fish-eye' producing chemicals to soften my finger tips. Any thoughts?

Curious about what others think about the necessity of sweeping the guide foot (necessary or not) and what you gurus have to say about keeping your tools (in this case, your hands) in the best working order.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 27, 2022 11:55AM

Hello Herb.

Leslie- I wear nitrile gloves when I work on rods.

Re-Write: I leave it there unless it's excessive.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2022 12:01PM by Robert A. Guist.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: March 27, 2022 02:32PM

Leslie
Yes - I sweep epoxy from my guide feet.
Very important.
These deposits cause cracking and may allow water to enter tunnel if not sealed well.
I use either non-waxed dental floss or strips of paper.
I use dental floss threader with double foot guides.

Re hands, - if finger burrs an issue - I have used finger coats from the drug store.
Herb

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 27, 2022 03:13PM

For wicking the extra epoxy from guide feet, I use a toothpick or tiny piece of lint-free paper towel folded in half (so the fuzzy torn edge doesn't contact the epoxy.)

I agree with Robert for using nitrile gloves while building rods.

Many plusses to wearing gloves:

Keeps skin oil off the blank/thread

If using a hand wrapper, MUCH better grip on the blank so better control and less stress on hands

And the obvious reduction in exposure to solvents and epoxy. I'm not sensitive to epoxy, but people can develop issues with it which is a major problem for rod building. Therefore, to me it makes sense to prevent avoidable contact with epoxy.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2022 05:03PM

As far as sweeping guide feet goes, I use the folded edge of a folded over paper towel, that is wet with isopropyl alcohol.

As far as hand care goes. I wash my hands with Dawn dish washing soap prior to starting to wrap. At work I work with silicone caulk quite a bit, so if I know I'll be wrapping guides in the next few days, I'll wear nitrile gloves while at work, just to take away the chance of transferring any residual silicone that may be in or on my skin, to the wrapping thread.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: March 27, 2022 07:48PM

I just use doubled up wrapping thread. Usually sweep twice in the first hour.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 27, 2022 08:40PM

I do as Mark does.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 28, 2022 12:01AM

Removing excess epoxy is done with a dry epoxy brush by going around and between the feet pulling away as much as you care to, then using a clean sheet of paper,magazine pages, or any lint free dry substance, wipe the brush out and go on to the next guide if you have to.
Don't glob on the epoxy and you won't have to do this.
I can't help you with hand care because I don't practice it.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 28, 2022 04:53AM

With respect to hand care:

[okeeffescompany.com]

Apply the hand care every night just before going to bed. That way it will do its work and you will not have any worries the next day with respect to contamination.

Of course, standard procedure is to ALWAYS wash your hands with soap before beginning to work on a rod, and to wash them again, after any extended work session.

No different than a surgeon before the surgeon goes into the operating room. A good scrub with soap and water to prevent patient contamination. Your rod being built is your patient for the day. Treat it accordingly.

Best wishes

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2022 08:25AM

So Roger, this is brain surgery..lol.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 28, 2022 09:38PM

Any reason to think that it isn't?

Certainly the time that some folks put into a rod is much much longer than the typical brain surgery isn't it?

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 30, 2022 10:34AM

Do commercial rod makers sweep guide feet, and if so, how do they do it? Might as well ask a professional.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster