I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Colour preserver contamination
Posted by: Allan Thompson (---)
Date: March 26, 2022 06:18PM

Is it possible for a color preserver to contaminate a two pack epoxy finish ?

Reason for the question is that I am adding trim bands for the first time, using a nail knot.

To give the two band knots some structural strength prior to applying epoxy (CTS CrystalCoat) I planned to apply a small "dab" of color preserver (Proseal) to the knot Join area so the knot does not easily unravel.

Should I have any comparability issues with theses two products?

Thanks in advance,

Allan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Colour preserver contamination
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: March 26, 2022 06:25PM

not at all. Some use super glue for the same purpose

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 26, 2022 07:13PM

Agree with Phil. The only problem can come when one uses CP on a wrap nail knot when you don't want to use CP on the rest of the wrap. Easy to get a bright spot that you don't want on the wrap.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 26, 2022 09:05PM

Alan,
Yes, you can use the nail knot for trim bands.

However, personally, I like to use a long tag end on each end of the trim band and have each of the tag ends of the trim band held in place by multiple main wraps on the rod.

Easy to do, and no issue with tag ends coming loose.

To execute this, you just have to lay in pull loops for each end of the trim loop and lay in the first tag end of the trim loop, before doing multiple main wraps over both the pull loops and tag ends. Then, when time, use one of the pull loops for the first tag end, and then, after the trim wrap is complete, use a 2nd pull loop for the outer end of the trim band.

Best wishes

Date: March 27, 2022 10:02PM

Phil, Michael and Roger,

Thanks for the excellent advice. As I write a test trial using two pack superglue is underway on the seat area of the next build.

I weighted the loose tag ends down with clothes pegs.

Thanks and cheers,

Allan

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: March 27, 2022 11:01PM

This is a rehash of what I have posted before. I don’t understand the reason for using a nail knot as a trim band when doing a regular wrap is easier and looks better. I hand wrap with the thread coming towards me from the back and I’m turning the rod towards me. I start the trim wrap just like any other wrap, and count the number of turns I make. For example , If I want a three turn trim wrap I turn the blank 3 1/2 times.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I then bringing the main wrap thread in between the trim wrap and the trim thread, make one turn to catch the trim thread and to start the main wrap.
I put my thumb on the crossover point and cut the trim thread.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I then continue the main wrap for a few more turns, I then unwind the second trim tag backs 1/2 turn to the first tag end, and trim all the tags. I now have an exact three turn trim band.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I continue to wrap the rest of the guide. If you want a narrower or wider trim band just do less or more turns. You can also unwinded the trim tag end under the main wrap to get a trim wrap as narrow as a one thread trim band.
If you want to do a trim inlay or olive branch a little further into the wrap, just cut the trim tag extra long, and wrap over it until you get to the point where you want the inlay.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Then take the trim tag and make the number of turns you want, and then tuck it under the main thread and cut the tag, and finish wrapping. If you want a trim band at the end of the wrap, you will need two tie off loops. One for the main wrap thread and the second for the trim tag.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Tie off the main wrap, then wrap the trim tag around the blank for the number of turns desired and then use the second loop to tie it off.

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

It takes a little practice, but once you get it down, it very easy to add threads any where in a wrap. If you wrap in the opposite direction then I do, I’m sure you can come up with a similar way to do it. Hope this makes sense. It not that hard to do and looks great, and you don’t have to worry about the trim band coming loose.
Norm

Date: March 29, 2022 05:00AM

Thanks Norman.

Think I've worked it out.

In my case I have already wrapped the guides using silk so NCP and I was adding black thread as a trim band.

The blank is a 4 piece 6wt fiberglass so I wrapped 3 turns on the butt end wraps and next section and 2 turns on the 2 top sections.

The idea weighting the loose tag ends down with clothes pegs was fine in a single wrap trial but to do it to 9 snake guides plus end wraps looked like a miniature traffic jam. Still worked though.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Allan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster