I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

KR CONCEPT
Posted by: sean flynn (185.229.59.---)
Date: March 26, 2022 10:42AM

mornin what other guides can be used for the kr concept guide system other than fuji guides [any spinning rod recipe's would be helpful}

thanks much S. Flynn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KR CONCEPT
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 26, 2022 11:09AM

Sean,
You can use any brand guides that you like for this system.

Just choose the right guide size and you are there.

The recipe for spinning rods as well as casting rods is pretty simple.

PUt larger guides closer to the reel and smaller guide closer to the tip in a fashion that you achieve the taper that you want to see on the rod.

Most of folks today - use one or two larger guides close to the reel and then drop down quickly to the small running guides that you choose for your rod build.

You really don't have to get hung up on names, and distances, etc. Essentially use as few guides as possible, placed where necessary so that you achieve smooth line flow from the reel to the tip top of the rod.

There is one cardinal rule that I follow when I set up rods for a spinning reel.

i.e. with all guides taped or secured to the rod blank, including the tip top - I strip line off the mounted reel and thread the line through all of the guides.

Then, I will pull off about 50 feet of line.

Typically, I will use my bare foot to step on the line or run the line through my toes to provide some tension on the line as the line comes off the tip top of the rod.

Then, I slowly reel in line - very carefully observing the line with respect to the first guide closest to the reel.

I am looking for any contact of the line with respect to the first guide as the line is reeled in with light tension on the line.

My point is that as the spinning reel revolves the line will essentially trace a circle in the air. If guide sizes and placement are correct, I am looking for virtually no contact at all of the line on the first guide. i.e. the 2nd guide on the rod, should be holding the line in such a position, that as the spinning reel revolves, the line will revolve around the inside of the first guide but either not touching the guide at all, or just barely brushing against the inside of the first guide as the line is reeled in.

I learned this technique from one of my clients who had rods built for throwing heavy baits for a thousand casts every day. He explained to me, that by having the guide size, height and spacing set up to achieve this goal. his casting distance was better and the effort on his retrieves was less. For heavy baits over many many repeated casts each day, this resulted in a more productive day for he and his guiding clients.

Take care

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: March 26, 2022 12:57PM

The KR reduction train spinning guides are basically match guides, which are defined as high frame small ring guides. Therefore, similarly sized match style guides can be substituted for KR guides. These include PacBay match guides, SeaGuide XOHG guides, Kigan ZH guides, American Tackle TS-H guides. The Fuji Kr guides have the original tangle free frame design, which has been copied by others.

Norm

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 26, 2022 02:35PM

The ones I have found, that are fairly easy to get and most like Fuji are Seaguide.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: March 26, 2022 04:43PM

Lance Schreckenbach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The ones I have found, that are fairly easy to get
> and most like Fuji are Seaguide.

I agree. Their stainless steel frames with silicon nitride rings are a great value. They are so close to Fuji in height that they will work with the GPS software measurements. If you use those measurements, still check. I had to move one very slightly to be perfectly in line with the heights of the others. That was with genuine KR’s. I was still amazed at the precision.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster