I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sealing a cork grip
Posted by: Jim Pitman (71.169.179.---)
Date: March 25, 2022 04:13AM

Cork is porous and has this tendency to accumulate dirt and grime with use. It's no big deal to clean them. If I really want them clean I'll lightly sand them.
I'm wondering if something can be applied that will make them shed the dirt easier without affecting the feel.
Do any of you folks ever seal a cork grip?
With what?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sealing a cork grip
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 25, 2022 06:57AM

U40 cork sealer is commonly used and gets good reviews. It doesn't seem to last that long in the bottle before going solid, though. Some use polyurethanes. On split grip spin rods I use wrap epoxy. They look great, feel fine, and last "forever." Gunstock oil finish is often used, too. Darkens the cork some.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2022 07:02AM by Michael Danek.

Posted by: Michael Collier (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2022 07:14AM

As far cleaning cork grips,I just use a SOS soap pad to clean cork grips. They come out looking brand new.

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.37.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 25, 2022 08:17AM

I use cheap cork, golden oak filler then a couple thin coats of tru oil. My oldest builds are 13 years old and still clean up like new.Tru oil does darken the cork. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: March 25, 2022 08:36AM

Cork is not porous . It has imperfections in the form of pits and crevasses the better the grade the less imperfections there are. It's the imperfections that collect the dirt and grime. The clear areas usually discolors.
Elmer's golden oak filler will take care of the voids.
U 40 cork sealer is a good choice for a sealer.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 25, 2022 09:50AM

You can wash cork clean with a little soap and water. One of the best qualities of cork is its resistance to slippage in your grip - but only if the cork, not a coating, is what your hand touches.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 25, 2022 09:55AM

Depends on the shape and the coating.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: March 25, 2022 10:29AM

John DeMartini Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cork is not porous . It has imperfections in the
> form of pits and crevasses the better the grade
> the less imperfections there are. It's the
> imperfections that collect the dirt and grime. The
> clear areas usually discolors.
> Elmer's golden oak filler will take care of the
> voids.
> U 40 cork sealer is a good choice for a sealer.

YES!!!
Herb

Posted by: Tim Shaffer (---)
Date: March 25, 2022 03:13PM

Mr.. Clean magic eraser works great for cleaning cork grips.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 25, 2022 04:38PM

Tim is right on with his tip to clean cork with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. No solvents needed, just wet it with water and scrub away that dirt. Your grips will look as good as new. Cork Seal is the ticket to prevent that dirt from returning.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2022 04:41PM by Dennis Danku.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 25, 2022 05:17PM

[simplegreen.com]

[www.stearnspkg.com]

Both simple green and jungle jake cleaner are readily available and work very very well to clean grips and fishing rods.

[www.menards.com]

[www.menards.com]

[www.menards.com]

The afore mentioned brushes do a nice job to assist one to keep things nice and clean.

I use a hand scrub brush and a tooth brush after spraying the cleaner on and letting it sit for about 10 minutes. Scrub a bit, rinse and it is just like new.

If necessary, after a good clean and dry - if some divits have opened up or some other flaws may have appeared in the cork, it only takes a few minutes to clean them up with Elmers pro golden oak wood filler and sanded smooth for the perfect grip.

I never put any sealant on cork because I like the feel of natural unfinished cork and the sealant tends to be somewhat ineffective any way - due to the non porous nature of cork.

After all cork has been used for years for floats, and life jackets, so it is testament to the fact that cork does not absorb much of anything very much. So, need to fight the non porous nature of cork and leave it unfinished.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 26, 2022 02:28PM

Clean then seal with this. Have cork grips over 30 years old and this keeps them from dry rotting.

[www.walmart.com]

Posted by: Jim Alberts (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 26, 2022 04:17PM

Spar varnish does a good job after a cleaning with a Magic Eraser?

Posted by: Mike Bernazzani (---.res-cmts.mlf.ptd.net)
Date: March 26, 2022 08:54PM

I prefer to fill and condition mine with fish slime and general hand oils. :)
Mike B

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster