I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Nubs at the beginning of the thread wrap
Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.raintreegraphics.com)
Date: March 24, 2022 11:56AM

I didn't want to high jack the other thread (ha, thread, get it?) so I started this one. I have mastered the pull through at the end of the wrap and it's a major improvement, but I still get nubs from when I initially begin the wrap. I wrap about five wraps and then cut, I can't seem to cut it close enough and I always have to trim the nubs after the first coat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2022 11:57AM by Fred Zimmermann.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nubs at the beginning of the thread wrap
Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: March 24, 2022 12:06PM

In that other thread I mentioned flush cut super sharp side cutters Plato 170's which beats scissors that cannot get close enough and sometimes a razor blade simply will not do it. So my final solution that has worked and may not be recommended around here but I have used a lighter and flame to melt it and then push with finger and it will usually disappear. And I do this before any epoxy goes on. Once epoxy is on you never see any nubs or anything sticking out anywhere.

I also sometimes can use various picks to push nubs into the thread wrap to make them disappear too. You can be creative sometimes and whatever works works, but I would try and deal with them before adding epoxy and make sure everything looks good and tight and smooth and clean before adding the epoxy but all is not lost if you run into it after first coat, which is usually all I need to do and rarely have need of a second coat.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: March 24, 2022 12:40PM

I like to start close enough to the guide that the starter "nub" lays beside the guide foot after 4-5 wraps. It hides neatly there and anything that would normally try to sneak between wraps is usually in the tunnel and cant make it up between wraps.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: March 24, 2022 12:42PM

No matter how close you cut the initial tag end, it should then be completely covered by the subsequent wraps and should not create a nub.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: March 24, 2022 03:53PM

Fred,
The only way that you will get a nub at the beginning of a wrap is if your windings are not snug to previous wrap.
You soulld not wrap with spaces between thread wraps - and then pack.
That is OK when further along.
But at the beginning you must wrap tight to the previous wrap.
Herb

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 24, 2022 05:05PM

Agree with Phil and Herb. There is no need to trim a nub if the nub is not there, and with the right technique, it will not be. I don't think I have ever had to trim a nub at the beginning of a wrap. I've screwed up just about everything else, but not that.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 24, 2022 06:41PM

Perhaps you are not wrapping with enough tension.

When I wrap, I basically use so much tension, that I need to use both fingers and a thumb to be able to adjust a guide foot at all.

With enough tension and a very nice tight wrap I have no issue. I use tape to hole the end of the thread when I first start wrapping. I generally have two or three inches of thread going out to the tape to hold it in place. Then, after getting about 5-10 wraps, I snip the thread. I pay no attention to get the cut end close to the ends of the wraps, because I still have a lot more wraps to put in place and the tag end will be nicely pushed down flat to the blank by the tight wraps and that takes care of the beginning.

As others have said, never an issue with the beginning of the wrap, since it is well covered by very tight closely spaced wraps that cover everything nicely.

There is no need at all to do a close cut to an existing wrap when starting thread.

The only time that this might be a problem is if you are doing a two or three wrap trim band. But, even then, when doing a trim band, I will lay in the trim thread 5-10 main wraps before getting to the trim band. I also lay in a pull thread at the same time so that when done with the trim band, I can pull it back under both the trim band as well as several main wraps to insure that you have a nice tight compact trim band with no nubs ever showing.

If I am doing a multi colored set of trim bands, I will lay in multiple pull loops so that each pull loop can take care of one trim band.

Take care

Date: March 25, 2022 08:18AM

I see to be the exception for the norm. SNAFU is what I call it. I wrap tight, all nice and snug, can't see anything wrong until the first coat of epoxy, yet it protrudes. I'll try Aaron's way. It's the last hurdle for clean wraps, everything else is looking really good and I'll get over it.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: March 25, 2022 03:21PM

Try pulling your starter tag through to where it lays in the guide foot tunnel. It takes practice getting your tag to lay in the spot you want but it is easily repeated. I cut with thread scissors close to the wraps and the 16th of an inch or so lays right beside the guide. It is nice because with thread large and small is light colors it is easy to see (with good youthful eyes) where the thread lays under the wraps and bumps up the wrap. With this technique you don't get that effect.

Good luck.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 26, 2022 12:57AM

Fred,
While possibly not seeming significant to curtail your starting tag fuzzies, the solution may be as simple as introducing the thread onto the wrap at the proper angle. A little “negative” angle (opposite the wrapping direction) will assist each rotation packing tightly together, forcing cut tags to lie down rather than pop up between rotations. But don’t overdo the angle or the thread will tend to climb up on the previous rotation. From your description, this could very well be your solution.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: March 28, 2022 02:38PM

I've got a rod to build so I will try these methods. Really, it's not bad, just annoying, and I'm a perfectionist, which can even be more annoying in my head. I'm very close to getting that first coat of epoxy to go on the way it should. You all are very helpful, many thanks.

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 29, 2022 10:51AM

I am confused??? I never pull the starter tag end through the wrap....I always just cut it off and leave the tag end laying against the rod and wrap over it.

I start the wrap several turns before the place where I actually want the first thread to be. After 3 or 4 turns I will continue to turn the rod while gently pulling the tag end....this tightens the beginning of the wrap and allows me to place the first thread exactly where I want it....then after the tag end is secure I cut it off and just continue to wrap over it.....no tag end through the threads.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2022 11:01AM by Joseph Willsen.

Date: March 29, 2022 06:28PM

Joseph,
Exactly.

Date: March 30, 2022 09:25AM

Joseph Willsen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am confused??? I never pull the starter tag end
> through the wrap....I always just cut it off and
> leave the tag end laying against the rod and wrap
> over it.
>
> I start the wrap several turns before the place
> where I actually want the first thread to be.
> After 3 or 4 turns I will continue to turn the rod
> while gently pulling the tag end....this tightens
> the beginning of the wrap and allows me to place
> the first thread exactly where I want it....then
> after the tag end is secure I cut it off and just
> continue to wrap over it.....no tag end through
> the threads.

That's what I do, yet, a little nub rears its head after the first coat. Maybe I am not wrapping tight enough. I may take before and after pictures of the rod I am working on now.

Date: March 30, 2022 08:56PM

Fred,
From your description, my guess is that you may not be wrapping tight enough and you may not be packing tight enough either.

As I have said before, for myself, I wrap so tightly, that I can just barely move the guide in a rotary direction using two fingers and a thumb. Normally, the wrap is too tight to be able to move the guide up and down the blank at all.

Never have had any issues wrapping with this much tension. It just makes for a really nice clean look with nice tight well packed wraps.

Date: March 30, 2022 08:58PM

Fred,
From your description, my guess is that you may not be wrapping tight enough and you may not be packing tight enough either.

As I have said before, for myself, I wrap so tightly, that I can just barely move the guide in a rotary direction using two fingers and a thumb. Normally, the wrap is too tight to be able to move the guide up and down the blank at all.

Never have had any issues wrapping with this much tension. It just makes for a really nice clean look with nice tight well packed wraps.

Date: March 31, 2022 07:04AM

Fred Zimmermann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joseph Willsen Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I am confused??? I never pull the starter tag
> end
> > through the wrap....I always just cut it off
> and
> > leave the tag end laying against the rod and
> wrap
> > over it.
> >
> > I start the wrap several turns before the place
> > where I actually want the first thread to be.
> > After 3 or 4 turns I will continue to turn the
> rod
> > while gently pulling the tag end....this
> tightens
> > the beginning of the wrap and allows me to
> place
> > the first thread exactly where I want
> it....then
> > after the tag end is secure I cut it off and
> just
> > continue to wrap over it.....no tag end through
> > the threads.
>
> That's what I do, yet, a little nub rears its head
> after the first coat. Maybe I am not wrapping
> tight enough. I may take before and after pictures
> of the rod I am working on now.

Thank you Roger, and everyone!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster