I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Surf Casting blanks?
Posted by: Rich Buchnowski (151.181.90.---)
Date: March 23, 2022 02:51PM

Looking to build a friend a surf casting rod, who lives in Delaware and has a permit to drive on the beach. I have surf fished in FLA but not an expert. I have spoken to several shops in the Delaware region, seems like rod specs. vary for seasons. Is there an all purpose rod for this region (mid-atlantic). Possible recommendation?
Was thinking of a 13' 15-25lb 1-4oz lure weight. I have been told it would be a decent summer rod, but might be too light for heavier surf and some weather conditions. Not looking to break the bank for a blank.
Any suggestions you might have would be great.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surf Casting blanks?
Posted by: Michael Collier (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2022 04:47PM

11 foot 3 to 8 oz spinning or casting. I surf fish and live in Delaware and that’s a blank to use.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-198-50-155.net)
Date: March 23, 2022 05:12PM

13' is too long for people. I would not go longer than 12 and that only if it is a graphite model. 11' is a good all around length. If you are plugging I would go 10 or 11 and stick down to around 1 to 4 ounces. If bait fishing then I would go for 3 to 6 in most areas in FL but if fishing in heavier surf try to find something that will get you up to about 8 ounce capability. Remember you are casting a sinker AND bait.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 23, 2022 05:50PM

American Tackle has several 2-piece blanks that would accomplish what you're trying to do, including the Atrex series (10' - 13', up to 8 ounces...) and their ATX Graphite Surf series with 4 options lengths of either 10' or 11' and weight range of either 1-4 or 2-6.

I don't personally do any surf-casting but made up one of the ATX 11' (2-6) models with the Microwave 50 set of guides. Had it around for a while, until an acquaintance saw it and had to have it! He uses it on the Columbia for Sturgeon Fishing...

Posted by: Rich Buchnowski (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 23, 2022 06:58PM

Yeah I looked to some rods I have and from the info gathered, I thought that 8oz might be too heavy, but its not. Just not that familiar with the specs. I appreciate the feedback Michael and Mike. Any suggestion on blanks?
Rather make than buy it, but for how often I'll fish it not looking to pay 200 for a blank.

Posted by: Rich Buchnowski (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 23, 2022 06:58PM

Yeah I looked to some rods I have and from the info gathered, I thought that 8oz might be too heavy, but its not. Just not that familiar with the specs. I appreciate the feedback Michael and Mike. Any suggestion on blanks?
Rather make than buy it, but for how often I'll fish it not looking to pay 200 for a blank.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 23, 2022 08:06PM

The size of the target species is likely the most important consideration for your choice of a blank - it would be for me.

Posted by: Michael Collier (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2022 09:25PM

Take a look at Carolina cast pro blanks by Tommy Farmer all under $200 Carolina cast pro.com

Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.raintreegraphics.com)
Date: March 24, 2022 06:44AM

Mike Ballard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 13' is too long for people.

Huh? I think it depends on the person. I use everything between 11" and 13' 4" Just about all my friends use 13' rods. I certainty prefer the 13' rod.

Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.raintreegraphics.com)
Date: March 24, 2022 07:04AM

I just built one of two of the Tommy Farmer blanks. The 12' 3-7oz is what I've built and the 13' 3-6oz is next. I haven't fished the 12' yet but the tip is pretty stiff. Same with the 13. They are beautiful rod blanks with a unorganized pattern in the strands. Very different from what I've ever seen. Both are 50/50 split. It really depends on what you are fishing for though. We catch whiting and pompano down here and a softer tip is much better. My wife fishes the ATX 10' 1-4oz and my daughter fishes the ATX 11' 1-4oz. Both are great casters and have softer tips, and are very light, very easy to cast. Both of those are 50/50 split. My other favorite and go-to is the Rod Geeks 11' 2-6 SRF110MM2. I pair that with my Rocket Reel and I can throw plugs and spoons all day, it is very light and it has a soft tip. But the 6oz rating is pushing it. When not throwing plugs or spoons, I throw 4oz and bait and that is enough. Even better is the SRF110C3 which has two tips, the softer one of the SRF110MM2 and a MH tip. Rod geeks are 30/70 split. I built this for a customer and he really liked it. He has the best of both worlds. My 13' rod is the Thrasher 13'4" 1-6oz, it is a composite and it looks like an Ugly Stik. Nice soft tip, another one of my favorites. 50/50 split.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2022 07:20AM by Fred Zimmermann.

Posted by: Kevin Landers (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: March 24, 2022 11:04AM

We have quite a few blanks that would work well for you. Our Atrex surf line has many different options. If you ever have a question do not hesitate to call. Our team answers questions all the time and with all of them being builders and anglers we will be able to get you set up! Give us a call at 1-800-516-1750
[www.americantackle.us]

Kevin Landers

Marketing Manager
American Tackle Co.

Posted by: Kevin B Wright (167.21.43.---)
Date: March 30, 2022 11:01AM

I surf fish DE all the time.

The two best summer rods I have a Rogue Salmon Mooching blanks, 8 foot, and 10 foot 1-4 ounces. Summer fishing in DE is at your feet. There is almost NO natural structure. You can literally hold the rod out and drop the baits in. You want a rod that can hold up to four onces and is sensitive enough to see spot/kingfish bites on tiny high lo rigs. If he's fishing the spring for the black drum run and the rare bass, then the heavier rods for chunking bunker are nice.

Feel free to follow up with any questions, I'm on the beach multiple times a week.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster