I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: NFC Quality Control
Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: March 26, 2022 05:11PM

It’s not possible to know relative defect rates from internet complaints. It certainly does seem like the ratio of complaints have been very high for NFC, however. This thread even started with the term “dog pile of complaints”. Sometimes the best defense is simply solving the root of the problem, which would be getting fewer problematic blanks out to customers.

One perception issue could be the NFC association with Gary Loomis. Gary has long been one of the leading proponents of “building on the spine”. People wanting his blanks are probably more likely to be disappointed with curved tips. Next fall I will likely order (or maybe just stop in and pick-up) an ST962x-2 and do a contemporary test on the quality waters. The specs on it look great.

Why don’t you tell us more about yourself with a little bio, Aleks? If you did, I missed it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2022 05:33PM

Phil,

That was Alex Purvis the original poster of the thread.

I did use it in quotes with my reply.

I agree with Ron, I think we beat this horse to death :D

Aleks

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Alex, you are the one who used the term "harass"
> in your original post.

Posted by: Alex purvis (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 26, 2022 07:58PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
> Alex, you are the one who used the term "harass"
> in your original post.

I used the term harass in the original post to insinuate I called the company a lot. You used the term harass in your post in relation to my post on the forum was harassing the company, which it wasn’t.

Date: March 27, 2022 01:13AM

Kendall,

If you are local to the PNW - stop in and see our factory.

I’m not really good at talking about myself - but I did an interview / podcast of how I got involved with Gary/NFC/Edge

[podcasts.apple.com]

Best Regards,
Aleks

Kendall Cikanek Wrote:
> It’s not possible to know relative defect rates
> from internet complaints. It certainly does seem
> like the ratio of complaints have been very high
> for NFC, however. This thread even started with
> the term “dog pile of complaints”. Sometimes
> the best defense is simply solving the root of the
> problem, which would be getting fewer problematic
> blanks out to customers.
>
> One perception issue could be the NFC association
> with Gary Loomis. Gary has long been one of the
> leading proponents of “building on the spine”.
> People wanting his blanks are probably more likely
> to be disappointed with curved tips. Next fall I
> will likely order (or maybe just stop in and
> pick-up) an ST962x-2 and do a contemporary test on
> the quality waters. The specs on it look great.
>
> Why don’t you tell us more about yourself with a
> little bio, Aleks? If you did, I missed it.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: March 27, 2022 10:52AM

I have bought several NFC blanks and grips over the years. Sure, they can be a little slow on delivery sometimes, or getting back to me. It depends on factors at the factory, as I see it. My conclusion drawn: plan ahead with a little more lead time, and cool my jets. Their products are worth the wait, IMO.

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.37.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 27, 2022 12:14PM

Aleks,
I enjoyed listening to my first podcast ever. Gotta say you should be very proud of what you have accomplished in life and what you are presently doing. Im also humbled that you took the time to help me, a hobby builder for family and friends, to select a specific rod blank.

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2022 12:41PM by Steven Paris.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: March 27, 2022 12:15PM

I think Aleks, superbly explained the differences in dealing with a retailer/wholesaler, and a manufacturer. They have different business models and one should not expect, the very same responses and services from each.
In essence, there is a compromise in expectations, that one needs to accept, in order to get the benefits, of product cost and quality.

Date: March 30, 2022 01:10PM

Thank you, Sir!

Steven Paris Wrote:
> Aleks,
> I enjoyed listening to my first podcast ever.
> Gotta say you should be very proud of what you
> have accomplished in life and what you are
> presently doing. Im also humbled that you took
> the time to help me, a hobby builder for family
> and friends, to select a specific rod blank.
>
> Steve

Posted by: Doug Duncan (216.67.140.---)
Date: April 07, 2022 10:20PM

I am not a professional rod maker but in the past several years I have purchased probably 10 NFC fly blanks. I have received great service, and advice from Steve Pittcock, NFC staffer. Most of the rods I have made from NFC blanks I have fished or my sons have fished (from an 8" for a #3 to an 11' switch #7) and the action and quality of the finished rod has been high quality as far as I can tell. My sons love them and I am most pleased with the rods from NFC blanks I have made. I believe these are high quality products. My blanks have arrived within 2-3 weeks which is acceptable to me and their sales recently have been irresistable.

This is a very satisfied customer of NFC fly rod blanks-one who has numerous purchases in recent several years.

You know, so many forums lose many of their members because the forums have become places where people say things they would never say face to face or even over the phone. People (like me) get tired of seeing these type posts or being on the butt end of the post.

I am new here, but not new to rod building, I am pleased I found this forum but if I find it degenerating to complaints and flames I wont visit very often I will visit for info from folks who might be able to help.

Doug Duncan
Lander, Wyoming

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster