I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing thread burrs
Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: March 23, 2022 12:57PM

Whats the best way to remove those annoying thread burrs that occasionally rise up after the first epoxy application? I do my best to trim the thread and most of the time I can get tthe cut to disappear under the wrap, but sometimes my razor cut just doesn't cut the mustard. I've tried to sand them with an emory and slice them off with a razor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing thread burrs
Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: March 23, 2022 01:01PM

Try some really sharp wire cutters or sharp fingernail clippers may do it. Gotta have the "flush" cutting blades right at the edge though. I use Plato 170 model.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2022 01:02PM by Kent Griffith.

Posted by: Philip Bogardus (---)
Date: March 23, 2022 01:04PM

I just use a very sharp razor blade. I slice off a thin sliver of epoxy and the thread that is poking up. The 2nd coat of epoxy will cover the spot you removed epoxy from 1st coat. You won’t see any blemish after 2nd coat is applied.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: March 23, 2022 02:14PM

Mark
If you're referring to nubs poking out after the pull-through. Just install pull-through earlier. But off thread flush.
Squeeze between thumb and index finger as you pull through.
Never get another nub.
If you're talking about thread fibers- do as above
Herb

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 23, 2022 03:04PM

I do much the same as Herb. Put the tie-off loop in early. When ready to tie off, insert the cut thread into the tie-off loop, pull the tie-off loop flush to the thread wrap, and cut the thread very close to the tie off loop. When you pull out the tie-off the thread end will be under the wrap with nothing sticking up. You will never have another thread nub to worry about. Been doing it this way for over 50 years, and have always wondered why everyone doesn’t do it this way.
Norm

Date: March 23, 2022 03:51PM

Thanks everyone. I suspected there was a better way. I'm putting the loop in early from now on.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 23, 2022 04:56PM

Mark,
When I do a thread finish, I put the pull loop in about 10 wraps before the end. Then, when I am at the end of the wrap and the thread has been pulled through, I stretch the thread very tight Then, I use my fly tying scissors to cut the thread flush. Because the typical nylon guide wrapping thread has stretch, because the thread has been pulled very tight, just prior to nipping off - the end of the thread contracts back under the wraps and there will be no nub.

I use this fly tying scissors from Dr. Slick. I normally sharpen the pair of scissors about every hundred rods or so. [www.drslick.com]

The advantage that I have found using a pair of scissors for cutting tag ends from guide wrapping, is that you can put the edge of the scissor tight to the wrap and snip, and never ever worry about nicking a thread on the wraps.

Prior to purchasing the scissors, I nicked more than one thread that required a rewrap of the guide. Can't take a chance on a nicked thread holding up over the long term.

Take care

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: March 23, 2022 05:15PM

A friend gave me a pair of eye surgery micro scissors about 10 years ago, and I’m still using them. Don’t know the brand, but seem very similar to these.
[www.amazon.com]
They stay very sharp, and cut quite precisely.
Norm

Date: March 23, 2022 05:31PM

I've been using mostly D thread but have found out that the A tag ends are less noticeable. Roger, how do you keep the thread from moving at an angle under the wrap when you stretch it tightly before cutting?

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 23, 2022 06:11PM

Mark,
Thread fuzzies are inevitable but there are ways to drastically reduce them. First and foremost is a SHARP cutting tool be it a razor blade, snips, scissors or fingernail clippers. I purchase precision “extra sharp” single edge razor blades and style 11 X-acto blades from McMaster Carr. When using a blade, ALWAYS cut in the OPPOSITE direction from where the thread came from; this has a tendency to tighten the thread while slicing it off rather than loosening it up. When adding or dropping threads, wrap over the cut tag with as many wraps as possible; of course the downside is a longer “bump”in the wrap from the underlying tag = find the best compromise for you. Insert your pull through loop as early as possible (10-20 wraps from the end) so that when you pull the CUTT-OFF tag under, it is guaranteed to be left concealed under the wrap. Keep your wrap nicely packed while wrapping to minimize or eliminate the need to burnish after it is completed. Try to eliminate any small wire diameter screw eyes, or such, which drastically redirect the thread direction, especially if after a tension device.
As for dealing with the inevitable pimple in the finish, use a razor / X-acto blade to simply cut it off flush with a SLICING motion rather than pushing straight through.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: March 23, 2022 07:36PM

Oh, and by the way, Norm was speculating on a broken rod near the tip that the break was likely due to high sticking. Turns out he was right. My nephew came clean after I rebuilt the rod for him. He slung a 2# speck into the boat (common practice for specks) and while trying unhook the slippery trout, he was holding the rod in one hand with the butt on the bottom of the boat. At that point he lost grip of the fish and its weight snapped the tip. I witnessed the sling, but not the break.

I had a ton of work on the handle and artwork about 6" up from the fore grip so I cut the blank off just above the artwork and bevelled the edge. Then I dug through my stock and found a 7' ML 2 piece trout blank with a small diameter butt. Drilled a hole through the rubberized cork butt cap and slid the blank through. Fit perfectly with a few adjustments. The butt of the new blank when pulled tight. extended inside the old blank about 4" below the bottom of the real seat. Rewrapped with the same scheme and it looks and works great.

Thanks for the tips, Mark. Learn something new every day on this site.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 23, 2022 08:27PM

Mark,
I almost always have the pulled thread run under the threads at about a 45 degree angle.

That way, it is easy to keep the threads tight without causing any threads to come loose when pulling the thread tight.

So, rather than trying to avoid an angle with the pulled thread - I plan for the pulled thread to come under the wrapped threads at an angle.

Note:
When first starting to wrap, I had the same issue as you do. i.e. attempt to keep the pulled thread at 90 degrees to the wrap. After a few wraps pulled loose, I decided not to fight the tendency of a 90 degree pulled thread to loosen, was to not use a 90 degree pull thread, but rather a 45 degree angle.

Take care

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 23, 2022 08:47PM

Once again I use Norm's method, can't fail.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 24, 2022 09:31PM

Pull on the Hypotenuse

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 01, 2022 08:59AM

I recommend Roger's method, Press the flat side of a fresh, double-edge razor blade atop the thread windings with the razor edge at a 90 degree angle to the blank. Keep tension on the tag end of the winding thread while you pull it backward - unwind it - into the blade edge. Properly done the stretch of the nylon thread will pull the cut thread cleanly under the wraps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster