I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Static Electricity in rod blank
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 22, 2022 10:32PM

There is no need for static grounding, the blank will never be damaged by static electricity discharge. As far as the dust goes, just do your best to keep the work area clean.

An incentive to help you keep the work area clean is when your wife asks you what is on the TV and you innocently say "dust".

After you wake up and as part of your rehabilitation you will learn how to use a vacuum and a dust cloth..

Have fun

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 23, 2022 10:26AM

Mike Morrison Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Roger, Great Advice and well taken, I have
> installed an Air purification system Dust
> collector which definitely helps, also constantly
> vacuuming.
> When i try removing by a wipe of the blank it will
> just line up so i use masking tape to remove it.
> Thanks for the links!
>
> Regards,
> Mike

Vacuum cleaners can be MAJOR dust generators. Many poorly filter their output air and/or leak and spew dust into the air. I avoid vacuuming while wrapping and finishing rods, and it's best to wait at least a few hours after vacuuming for the dust to settle to reduce dust issues on your rods.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 23, 2022 05:03PM

Dan,
In addition, from time to time, I open the windows in the rod building room. Then, I use high pressure air from my air compressor setup and a blow gun to go over every square foot of the rod building room, ceiling, walls, closets, shelves, tables and floors with the blow gun to get any dust that may happen to be present and continue blowing - until all of the dust has been blown out a window.

I do the same thing in the "dirty room" which is a separate building that I use for grinding, sanding and other work that generates dust and debris. In this case, I take my high powered gasoline leaf blower and repeat the exercise. i.e. with the doors open, starting at the roof and ceiling blow every square inch of the room, from the top down, including ceiling, shelves, drawers, everything laying on shelves and in drawers with the high powered 150 mph wind from the blower and continue blowing until all of the dust and debris has been blown out the door. This works extremely well to get into the cracks, nooks, corners and high spaces that might otherwise be overlooked but can still house a considerable amount of dust and dirt and or cork or saw dust.

Then, leaving the doors partially open, set up several high powered fans for a few hours to continue to blow the air and any dust that it may contain out the door.

I almost always do this every time I finish a job, and before moving onto another job. Always good to start with everything pristine and dust free - roof, ceiling, walls, and all surfaces including the floor before beginning to work on a new job.

Take care

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 23, 2022 08:56PM

Tom, the squirrel might think differently. lol

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2022 08:16AM

I once shot a.squirrel with my groundhog gun, a 22 magnum..all I found was a bushy tsil.,there's more meat on an acorn than on a. Squirrel..lol.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 24, 2022 06:47PM

Ben,

If you are going to hunt squirrels, you need to shoot them in their eye. That way, no meat is ruined from the slug passing through the meat. By going through the eye, it effectively decapitates the squirrel with no tainted edible meat.

But, if you wanted to do a 5 color thread wrap on the little dude, you could use a rod blank and run up its length with the rod blank and then go wrap on your guides. Then, when you catch a fish, it can be said that the squirrel did it.

But, enough with the nonsense already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2022 07:11PM

I know Roger..I know it,s best done with head shots and a short round..I only used the magnum once..too much gun.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 02, 2022 09:09AM

As usual, Tom is spot on. We're making more out of this than what it is. 99.999 % this is a humidity issue, and increasing the humidity will take care of it.

And, as Roger mentioned. keep the dust making activities in the room you apply finish in, to a minimum. And if you do as I do, and perform activities that create dust in the same room, a thorough cleaning prior to applying finish has always worked for me.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 02, 2022 10:55AM

John DeMartini Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> After you wake up and as part of your
> rehabilitation you will learn how to use a vacuum
> and a dust cloth..
>
> Have fun
>
> John

LOL John .... don't you mean, regain consciousness?

Good one LOL

And Lynn .... you aren't kidding LOL

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster