I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A big thank you to Roger Wilson!!!
Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (217.114.38.---)
Date: March 19, 2022 03:41PM

While I have been building my own fishing rods for nearly twenty years, my skill level is probably best described as "marginally adequate". If it were not for this forum, it wouldn't even be that. But if you do read what some have to say here, from time to time, you can learn something. Recently, Roger Wilson mentioned using a "backing board" when sanding cork. I'm not sure I know what a "backing board" is. Regardless, its mention inspired me. I don't know if I constructed the thing to which he was referring, but... I acquired a 2' X 3" X 3/4" piece of poplar, a three inch roll of 80 grit sandpaper, and a can of Elmer's Craft Bond. I affixed a strip of the sandpaper to the upper third of the board and wrapped about 4" around to the back side. This served exceptionally well in eliminating glue buds, and insuring that the handle was concentric. The Craft Bond allows me to easily replace the sandpaper when needed. Most importantly, it saved me the expense of an $80 gouge, which would have been a bit of overkill. I imagine my little board also sits more reliably on the tool rest than a gouge would in my hands. Roger also mentioned a few more thoughts that have been especially useful, if not incredibly more efficient than the methods I was using. Sadly, I am so embarrassed that they had not occurred to me years ago that I feel compelled to let them go unacknowledged. So, thank you ever so much Roger Wilson. You remain proof positive of what a wonderful resource this forum is. Slainte!

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2022 03:54PM by Hunter Armstrong.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A big thank you to Roger Wilson!!!
Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2022 06:46PM

Roger has always been very patient with me and he's helped me many times.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 19, 2022 06:55PM

He's helped a good many of us.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 19, 2022 10:28PM

Hunter,
Well done.

Another thing to do, is to simply take a piece of wood, fold the sand paper around the board, and go to work.

But, no doubt - using the sand paper glued to the board is the way to go.l

When I use my backing board, it is typically 1/8th thick plywood that I have had around for years.

When I was doing my other craft many years ago, and I had to do some sanding over a very large surface, and needed it free of humps or valleys, I would use a piece of T aluminum that was 1/16th inch thick. Again, glue the sand paper to the flat surface, and use the vertical part of the T aluminum for a handle.

You are welcome and you may continue to build well.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (172.58.99.---)
Date: March 23, 2022 10:32AM

Roger is the man. The equipment guru, no doubt. Has helped many with his posts, including me. That is what is so good about this forum. Sometimes we get a myopic view of what we are trying to accomplish without considering a different approach, this forum gives us this “other view” that many times works better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster