I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC Swimbait Blank
Posted by: Todd Theodore (---)
Date: March 19, 2022 01:19PM

I'm looking for an NFC blank to throw 3/4 oz plastic swimbaits (Keitech style). At least 7'. No real need for sensitivity. So, doesn't need to be Xray level. Maybe even an old classic. I'm guessing med heavy/ heavy power and moderate fast action. Not sure if there is such a beast.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC Swimbait Blank
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 19, 2022 02:04PM

The MB 709 IM would fit the bill. It has a moderate fast action and will handle 3/4 oz quite nicely. Plenty of power to set the hook at long distances as well. I have one (soon to be two) rod built on that blank that I use for flipping and pitching. But I have used it for Carolina rigs as well as chatterbaits and hollow bodied frogs. I didn't really like it for frogs though. I like a faster action for frogs.

Date: March 19, 2022 02:47PM

Thanks. I'll take a look
I didn't think of a Mag Bass series blank. But, with moderate fast action I can see why that might work. Plus, it probably will launch a 3/4 oz swimbait a mile. And like you said, that mag power can help hook setting from that distance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2022 03:00PM by Todd Theodore.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: March 19, 2022 03:01PM

The MB 709 can be had in IM ($60.73) or HM ($82.84). I have the MB 7109 Xray (only because it was cheaper when I bought) and it is $85.00.

Just a matter of if you think 10 inches longer would be a plus or minus. If you feel 3/4 ounce would be near the top of your lure range you might consider the MB 7108 instead. Hard to go wrong with any of them.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2022 03:18PM

NFC BB805-1 (IM).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2022 03:29PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: March 19, 2022 03:31PM

Actually, the 3/4 oz is at the top of what I'm throwing. So, the 708 is a good recommendation. I don't think the extra 10" would be of much benefit to me. I'm not sure why they don't make the 708 or 709 in xray. Not that it matters for this technique. But, why one and not the other?
Thanks again

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: March 19, 2022 05:33PM

Todd,

Take a look at the BB806 - its a favorite for the swimbait guys for soft plastics in that range.

[northforkcomposites.com]

Best Regards,
Aleks

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.fuse.net)
Date: March 19, 2022 05:58PM

Ok. I took by the 806 that it was an 8' blank. Not sure I want to deal with that much footage. But, I'll check it out

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: March 19, 2022 09:11PM

FWIW I also have the BB 806-2. While it work work, I'd choose the MB.

If 3/4 of an ounce is at the top of the range, and you want 7' and could stand closer to fast action, the SJ 725/ SJ 736 become viable options as well.

If I could only have one I'd pick the SJ for casting lures and the BB for fishing lead and dead bait. The MB could cover both.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Harry Glenn (---)
Date: March 20, 2022 04:29PM

SJ736 is my choice...very versatile rod blank. The Neo blanks are not a bad choice either

Posted by: Branndon Prevost (66.170.208.---)
Date: March 20, 2022 05:53PM

For what it’s worth….Ive built about (5) MB 705 Deltas that I use on a regular basis. I use them for 3.8” swim baits and weighted flukes. Awesome blank for the money but that just my opinion.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: March 21, 2022 10:09AM

Ditto the SJ 736 and the 705 or 706 Delta.

I paired my Delta SJ706 with an NFC Carbon Fiber split grip and it feels so good in hand. Lighter in weight than I expected for a heavy power.

Date: March 21, 2022 01:24PM

These are all great options. I talked to a guy who fishes the river where this technique is so effective for big pre-spawn smallies and he said he likes the fast action. I was mistakenly thinking of the moderate action being desired. But, I can see where that may not be the case when you're settling a hook at some distance.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (172.58.99.---)
Date: March 23, 2022 10:40AM

I have used many mag bass blanks for other applications other than bass, and have found they do very well especially when throwing heavier baits. I like a faster action blank when the rod will be using mono and a bit slower blank for braided lines. I will always consider the line type to be used.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster