I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod action selection
Posted by: Jim Pitman (71.169.180.---)
Date: March 19, 2022 10:29AM

My first fly rod was fiberglass. It had a relatively slow action compared to the modern day graphite offerings. I got used to casting with that rod and now really don't care for any rod with a moderate or fast action. Seems I have to force a fast rod to get a decent loop/presentation.
So now I own a few slow action graphite rods. I bought these rods based on the the measurement of the butt diameter. I think I've correctly concluded that the smaller the but diameter for a given length, the slower the action.
Agree?
I guess I avoid fiberglass and bamboo because of the weight. I'm with Gary Loomis on that point " the lighter the better". In fact, my first graphite rod was a G Loomis design sold by Cabela's.
Unfortunately, I broke that rod when I slipped on a river bank and clenched the butt section too tight crushing it - the downside of "lightweight". I've never found a rod/blank that matches that. I have a CTS and vintage Diamondback that come close.
If you want slow in graphite you selection is pretty narrow I suspect is because stating a rod action is "slow" is bad marketing.
Can anyone of you recommend a slow action graphite rod/blank, 8" 5wt?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod action selection
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: March 19, 2022 10:53AM

Jim,
What is the model of the CTS that "comes close".
There are a couple of options in discontinued CTS blanks that I can have built for you.
Herb
CTS

Date: March 19, 2022 11:00AM

I believe the CTS was called "vintage'?
I broke that rod hauling in a large lake trout. 9' rod with 9' leader, the fish was~ 18' away from the boat. I have a tendency not to real a knotted leader into the guides so I choked up on the rod trying to net the thing -snap!

Date: March 19, 2022 11:17AM

OUCH!!!
Yes - the Vintage was one of the "discontinued" blanks I was considering.
I just bought myself a Vintage 7'6" #4 for trout in RI.
I am really a Striped Bass guy - which are in short supply these days - so I thought I would try trout. very small in RI.

Lost interest and gave unbuilt blank to a friend who is big on trout.

The other is the CTS Matrix which is the first CTS I ever built 18 yrs ago.
Very gentle taper - but not as soft as the vintage. The original Matrix was built with 44msi graphite vs 57 msi.

I can get you another Vintage if you wish.
Herb
Or - if you still have the parts - we can replace the broken section

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2022 11:21AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 19, 2022 02:59PM

I think you're talking about speed, not action. Action is where the rod initially flexes, not how quickly it reacts and recovers.

If you have any modern carbon rods that you have trouble loading, most likely you don't have the right line on them for the distance you're casting and fishing. Upline by one, even two, and you'll have a rod that feels like your old glass rods.

Date: March 19, 2022 05:08PM

I agree Tom. That's what I have done with my Sage Pack rod.

Date: March 19, 2022 10:08PM

But - But - sometimes you need a specific line weight for stealth. Overlining is counter productive in that situation.

I think Jim IS talking about action/\. If the Vintage blank is a "slow" blank and it did, somewhat, meet his needs.
Herb
CTS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2022 10:12PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2022 08:57AM

Adding line weight to a rod won't change the action - nothing can. Action is built-in. It's where the rod flexes, not how fast or slowly it flexes and recovers.

Date: March 20, 2022 10:06AM

Herb,
I may be interested in replacing the tip section of my CTS Vintage.
How do I get in touch with you?

Date: March 20, 2022 10:27AM

My email:
hladen@hotmail.com
Cost is 60 New Zealand - or about $41 U.S. + shipping from me to you.
Herb

Date: March 20, 2022 10:48PM

Herb, check your e-mail.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 26, 2022 07:32PM

With fly-casting it's line speed, not rod speed, which creates casting distance. Advertisers would have consumers believe that their rods are "faster" and "more powerful" so they cast further. Hogwash. Prop up your rod against a bench, pull some line out behind it, drop it, sit down, and wait for the rod's power to kick in. Or weight the end of the line, pull the line back the rod is fully bent, release the weight and watch the rod's full power cast the weight a magnificent five feet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster