I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread / epoxy question from novice
Posted by: Dave Connaker (---.bar1.Minneapolis2.Level3.net)
Date: March 17, 2022 10:00AM

So, I wrapped my first two guides and must say I'm really bad at this. When I was using my burnishing tool, I inadvertently pushed too hard, and the tool jumped and ran over the entire wrap. My eyes are not very good, but the black thread looks to have white score marks. Will these marks become visible when epoxy is applied?

I also think my wrap might be too tight. How do you know if this is the case? More practice:) Thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom. It's very much appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread / epoxy question from novice
Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: March 17, 2022 10:04AM

Start over. The more times you try, the fewer times you'll have to start over. Eventually, you'll get adept at wrapping guides.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: March 17, 2022 10:52AM

Almost anything you see on the wraps will be visible when finished. This includes dust, pet hair, china marker picked up from wrapping over it, etc...

A.P.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: March 17, 2022 10:54AM

Dave

The wrap tension need be no tighter than necessary to hold the guide in place while permitting the guide to be moved around the rod for the purpose of aligning the the guides after wrapping. The wraps should be sufficiently tight to permit the gentle use of a burnishing tool. Sorry those are not objective tension measurements, but it is what should be.

You wrote your eyes are not so good - welcome to the club. Are you using magnification? If not, a strong (bright) light that incorporates a magnifying lens else a bright lamp with a pair of strong "cheater" lens from the local drug store will help you see your work in greater detail.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---)
Date: March 17, 2022 11:03AM

I’ve been wrapping rods for many years, but it wasn’t until this winter that I mounted a yellow backdrop onto my thread carriage. Very helpful.

"The greatest barrier to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Daniel J. Boorstin

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: March 17, 2022 11:12AM

Dave,
You may be seeing the result of "polishing" the thread by compressing the thread fibers. IF that is the case - youwill not see it after finish is applied. The finish will "plump-up" th thread again.
Herb
PS - I rarely burnish my wraps. I pack frequently which eliminates the ned to burnish to a great degree.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 17, 2022 11:26AM

The "skid" marks on the black thread will disappear when you apply epoxy.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 17, 2022 02:49PM

Dave,
Simple.
Any time you have the least doubt about a wrap - use a sharp blade and cut off the wrap and do it over. If you run the knife along the top of the guide foot, the end of the blade will contact the guide foot and not the blank and won't scratch the blank.

p.s.
A really nice thing to have around is a scalpel handle with a pack of #12 blades. The hook on the end of the blade make short easy work of any sort of trimming or cutting chores. This blade also makes a terrific bag or envelope opener.

[www.amazon.com]

The weighted scalpel handles feel very good in the hand and let the user to a better job of cutting, due to their design.

[www.amazon.com]

p.s.
I always keep one of these in the rod room, the kitchen, the garage and the office. The hook on the end of the blade make short work of opening virtually any thing made of plastic, paper, or cardboard.

They are also terrific to cut off guide wraps.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 18, 2022 12:21AM

Dave,
The above replies are good and certainly worth considering. Rather than wasting the time to rewrap your guides, go ahead and apply the finish to them as they currently are and see how it turns out; if it looks perfect = done deal. If not = learn from the experience. I tend to agree with Tom and Herb that the dry appearance of the thread may be hidden after wet-out with finish. I am still very proud of my first rod build, but looking at it now only verifies how much I have learned since!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 18, 2022 06:46AM

Right, Mark. The first response to a problem should be the least disrupitve.

Then if that doesn't work go to Plan B.

Posted by: Dave Connaker (---)
Date: March 18, 2022 09:28AM

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and experience. I'm keeping the guides as is and will report back.

Posted by: Adam Klein (---.lam-co.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 18, 2022 10:31AM

Dave,
I would suggest applying a few drops of isopropyl alcohol to the guide wrap and see if you like the way it looks. This will give a very close representation of what the finished wrap will look like. If you are happy with the results, let it dry thoroughly and apply finish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster