I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Confirm guide measurement
Posted by: Dave Connaker (---)
Date: March 12, 2022 05:27PM

Would anyone be able to help confirm my guide placement is in the ballpark for a 1st time build? I did use the KR concept software, but I'm confused about a few items. 1. My butt guide is 31" from the end of the rod. Seems too long. 2. my choker guide is 51.5" from the end of rod. This seems too long also. 3. I have 28.5" from tip to choker for running guides. How many do I use and should I evenly spread them out?

Blank 80" long
Spool axle to end of the rod is 12"
reel size 2000

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Confirm guide measurement
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: March 12, 2022 06:39PM

You are certainly in the right ballpark, according to the KR GPS. I assume you are using KL16H, KL8H, and KL5,5M KR guides for your reduction train and are using light braid or mono. I would use two more running guides than the KR GPS suggests, for a total of 9 guides. The extra guides will allow for nice progressive spacing and better spread out the load in the tip section and thus will give you a better static test. This will help with a light rod. A tentative guide layout I would use as a starting point would be the following, with all measurements being from the tip in centimeters.
9, 19, 30, 42, 55.5, 70.5 (choke) 87, 105, 125 (stripper).
This will put the stripper about 19” in front of the spool, and the choke about 21.5” in front of the stripper. I moved the choke out a little to get the spacing I like. I always use the metric system because it is so much easier than dealing with fractions of an inch. Do a two line static test to fine tune the spacing. Then take it out and test cast it. It should perform extremely well.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 12, 2022 06:49PM

Dave,

Ditto on Norman's comment's about guide type and spacing.

Posted by: Dave Connaker (---)
Date: March 12, 2022 06:56PM

Thank you Norman and Roger. Could either of you point me to the two-line static test instructions, please?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 12, 2022 07:10PM

Don't bother measuring where either guide is from the "end of the rod." Measure from the reel to those guides.

Rod lengths vary. Guide placement per butt and choke guide are based on the reel, not rod length.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 12, 2022 07:23PM

Dave,
Congratulations = you are a fast learner!!! You can stop worrying so much. Your butt guide is 19in from the spool axle tip = PERFECT; anywhere between 19 and 21in is good and I usually start at 19in. The choke guide is 20.5in from the butt guide which may be a tic short; try 21 -23in. Space the other 2 reduction guides to form a bullseye between the butt and choke guides. For the runners, temporarily mount the first one 3.5 - 4in from the tip top, the second runner .5in wider than the first, the third runner .5 wider than the second, and so on until you get to the choke guide. If it works out evenly, you're lucky! If (probably) not, progressively adjust the runners, adding one if needed but do not take one away. The choker can be moved a bit if it helps. For your 80in blank, you will probably end-up with 8 guides + the tip top. Perform a 2-line static load test to achieve the line running as parallel and even to the blank as possible. Although you will probably find the guides require very little repositioning, get the line to mimic the arc of the blank as best possible. There is nothing wrong with adding a guide if you have to. Wrap it, fish it.
What size and type of line will you be using?
For <15lb braid (<8lb mono / fluoro) may I suggest;
KL-16H, KL-8H, KL-5.5M, 1-3 KBs and the rest KTs of your size choice to a LG tip top.
For <30lb braid (<12lb mono / fluoro) may I suggest;
KL-20H, KL-10H, KL-5.5M, a-3 KBs and the rest KTs of your size choice to a LG tip top.
While a KL-16H guide train is perfect for UL setups, the KL-20H may be more versatile when uncertain of the line type / size. A KL-20H will work with lighter lines better than a KL-16H will work with heavier lines.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: March 12, 2022 07:39PM

Dave - Here is a publication explaining the two line static test.
Basically run the line from the reel though all the guides and tie a light weight to the line and let it hang there. Now tie a line directly to the tip top and then tie the line to a heavy or immovable object. Put a good bend in the rod and check to see if the line running though guides closely parallels the rod bend. This two line method makes it easy to adjust the guides with no load or torque affecting the guides.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Hope this helps.
Norm

Date: March 12, 2022 07:56PM

Dave,
Norman and Roger replied while I was typing. Mine mimics Norman’s because I learned from him.
The 2-line static load test will reveal how closely the line follows the NATURAL curve of the blank. Secure the tip top and temporarily mount the guides to the blank; the easiest most effective way is to use dental bands or thin cut pieces of surgical tubing but tape can be used as well. Secure the butt of the rod (I do it horizontally but others do it at a 45* angle). Run a brightly colored thread from the reel spool through the guides with a minimal amount of weight dangling past the tip top, just enough to straighten the thread. Connect enough weight to the tip top to put a good bend in the blank; it is best to do this twice, once fully loaded and another somewhere about half way. Simply inspect the path of the thread through the guides. Reposition the guides to achieve a line path which follows the curve of the blank as close as possible. When performed properly and precisely, the end result will be distributing the load on the blank as evenly as possible. While it may only be my opinion, I also think this affords the best casting distance as well.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: March 12, 2022 07:58PM

Norman,
You are obviously a faster typer than I am!!!

Mark Talmo

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2022 12:44PM

Everything those guys up there ^^^^^ said, is of course spot on. I would only offer a slight alternative to using two lines. Instead of using another line and tying it to the tip top, use a bent paper clip to hang a zip lock bag from the frame of the tip top. Fill the bag with enough pennies or whatever, to bend the rod as much as you want to bend it. It's really simple, and if you ever start wanting to do CCS tests on your rods for intrinsic power. it makes adjusting the amount of weight very easy.

Date: March 13, 2022 04:40PM

David,
So you also think Norman is a faster typer than me? LOL

Mark Talmo

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 13, 2022 06:54PM

LOL Mark .....it's a timing thing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster