I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
improved blanks?
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 12, 2022 09:33AM

Are there any finishes I can put on a bare graphite blank which will improve the blank's casting distance, accuracy , fish-fighting ability, or resistance to breakage?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: improved blanks?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 12, 2022 10:28AM

No.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 12, 2022 11:04AM

Cargonite.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: March 12, 2022 12:31PM

Fairy dust

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: March 12, 2022 12:48PM

Phil

You're in luck as I just happen to have two bottles left of my world famous Ol' Don's Snake Oil and Fly Rod Finish which I can let you have for the low, low price of $500 per 2 oz bottle. Just brush or wipe on a thin coat of this amazing elixir on a blank and watch it transform a poor quality, low cost blank into a superb, state of the art blank without peer.

I await receipt of your payment via certified check or money order.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 12, 2022 02:56PM

Prema gloss. because it will enhance the blanks' appearance and may trick ones' mind into thinking it improves the rod characteristics and make one a better caster than one really is.

Posted by: Michael Collier (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2022 04:19PM

How much for the fairy dust? I like to try some of that!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2022 04:42PM

Fill the blank with Helium under 14.28 inches of water pressure and seal it, works everytime.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: March 12, 2022 05:16PM

Love these - but best way is to afix a CTS label to the rod.
Herb

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 12, 2022 09:11PM

Why anyone would want a shiny rod blank is beyond me, unless fish will never see it and the owner just likes shiny stuff.

Posted by: Victor Heal (107.126.81.---)
Date: March 13, 2022 08:01AM

Liquid Unobtainium is what you are looking for. I happen to have some. If you're interested, send me an email.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2022 10:20AM

Do people really believe that fish are spooked by a shiny rod blank, or shiny guides? And before anyone says "absolutely" can you be absolutely sure that is the shine that is spooking the fish, or is it that the fish caught the movement of the rod, or a shadow it may have cast, or the movement of the angler using the rod, that is what actually caused a fish to spook, and not the shininess of a blank or guide?

I for one believe that it is movement that spooks fish, IMO, if you're worried about the glint of a shiny rod or guide spooking fish, you're worried about the wrong thing.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: March 13, 2022 11:05AM

As long as we are being tongue in cheek here. David I would say it is because you are fishing for bass. Heck, show up for a bonefish trip in the wrong color clothes and we will leave you on the dock.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 13, 2022 11:20AM

lol Russell ............ yeah, bass aren't the smartest of fish are they? And there are actually people that believe fish can be and are spooked by a shiny rod blank, or polished guide frames.

And yeah, I get it as far as the color of the clothing you're wearing having something to do with your visibility to the fish. Especially for the kind of environment a bone fish lives in. But would you really leave me at the to dock? Couldn't you just take me along for comic relief? I'd lay down in the boat so the fish couldn't see me. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2022 11:21AM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: March 13, 2022 01:00PM

David, it is the flash caused by movement and reflection off a shiny surface.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 13, 2022 02:52PM

I spray myself with "Vanish cleanser" and nothing sees me. Comes in handy when the better half is looking for me.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 13, 2022 03:09PM

You guys are fortunate to fish in water clear enough for fish to be spooked by light reflecting from a guide.

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: March 13, 2022 03:11PM

David Baylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> lol Russell ............ yeah, bass aren't the
> smartest of fish are they? And there are
> actually people that believe fish can be and are
> spooked by a shiny rod blank, or polished guide
> frames.

I installed a loud Harmon Kardon stereo sound system in my boat and blast my way around lakes and rivers playing Allman Brothers and Skynyrd and Outlaws and still catch as many fish as the quiet stalkers. Florida bass love Southern rock and shiny lures. I wonder if adding a sub woofer would catch more bass?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 13, 2022 04:34PM

Why would I want a shiny blank? 1. It makes the wrap end errors less obvious. 2. I like shiny blanks.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 13, 2022 05:54PM

Mr Erickson so as not to be confused with another with your first ...... I can certainly understand where you're coming from. I just personally think it's tied more to movement, than it is to any shine or glint coming off a rod or guide. There are a lot of sparkly and shiny things in nature. Both above, and below the water.

And John ...... good one LOL

Kent, sound can definitely be a trigger for fish. At one time I had a Hydrowave on my boat. A lot of people think they are just a way for companies to take more money out of fisherman's pockets, but I had experiences with it that would leave me to believe otherwise. I ended up selling it to a friend so I could buy stuff to build fishing rods. lol In fact, I used the money to buy 2 X ray blanks and two sets of Fuji T2 guides to put on them. I think I got the better end of the deal. lol

And I occasionally take a portable bluetooth speaker on the boat with me and listen to music, or the ball game. Although, I will say that when I do, I am always fishing off shore and in deeper water. If pleasure boaters ripping around over the fish's head isn't going to spook them, the crack of the bat or some loud rock and roll music isn't going to spook them either.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster