I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stripping a painted blank
Posted by: Scott Lees (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 12, 2022 08:54AM

Good morning,
I am refurbishing a St.Croix Legend Rod that is painted. What can I use to help cut through the Gunk from the arbors under the handle and seat without damaging the Paint or the blank?

Thank You

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stripping a painted blank
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: March 12, 2022 12:33PM

I am sure you are not worried about the finish under the grip and seat, so tape off the areas you wish to protect and scrape the gunk off.

Posted by: Scott Lees (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 12, 2022 02:13PM

Thanks, that’s pretty much what I am doing. Scraping and cleaning with Isopropyl. It’s not as bad now that some of the adhesive is set up, it was pretty gooey when I removed the seat and Foregrip..
Just looking for that secret sauce to reduce the amount of elbow grease required.

Maybe I could get some of
Ol' Don's Snake Oil and Fly Rod Finish?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: March 12, 2022 02:31PM

Acetone much better than Isopropyl, but keep it off the paint you want to protect.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 12, 2022 06:07PM

Scott, Excuse me but I am confused. First you mention “I am refurbishing a St.Croix Legend Rod that is painted” which implies that it is an older rod which you want to change the grips and seat. But then you mention “It’s not as bad now that some of the adhesive is set up, it was pretty gooey when I removed the seat and Foregrip” which implies you are trying to remove new grips and seat that you just installed. The “gooey” thing is throwing me off.
With the exception of the gooey thing and for what it's worth, you do not need to clean off ALL the leftover cured epoxy. Get it relatively flat and use it as an arbor under the seat and reamed grips. I can only assume you are installing everything from the butt end in which case you will end up with a gap between the blank and leading edge of the fore grip anyway. That can be concealed with a winding check of an epoxy ramp.
I agree with Phil = acetone is much better and will not harm the blank, possibly the paint but not the blank.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Scott Lees (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2022 06:56PM

Good evening,
I have stripped the Rod completely and will install the grips from the tip. I think the Goo I have encountered was from whatever they used for the arbors. It looked to be like a double sided tape possibly. In addition to that, the owner made Field repairs with electrical tape. I will try the acetone in the handle area for a final clean up before fitting the Grips and seat.

Thanks for your advise.

Posted by: Scott Lees (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2022 06:57PM

Thank you,
I will see how that goes.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: March 12, 2022 07:43PM

The arbors where probably masking tape, they have a tendency to get gummy if moisture gets to them. It should clean up fairly easily with something like goo gone.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster