I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Texalium
Posted by: Neil Toland (---)
Date: March 11, 2022 03:58PM

Tried a search but didn't find anything on this - What's the best way to cut Texalium tubing to achieve a good clean cut?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Texalium
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 11, 2022 05:04PM

Hello Neil.

Lots of ways the way I do it is to tape it off where i'm cutting and cut with a very fine tooth saw or a small diamond dremel wheel.

You cut down the middle of the tape not the edge.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Neil Toland (---)
Date: March 11, 2022 05:18PM

Robert A. Guist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>or a small diamond dremel wheel.

Well that I haven't tried. Thank you

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 11, 2022 05:45PM

Neil,
Texalium is nothing special; it is simply aluminized FG. Cut it as you would with regular FG or CF tubing. Although many use the tape method that Robert suggested to reduce splinters, and is certainly not a bad idea, I do not bother. Simply cut slowly with light pressure using the finest SHARP hacksaw blade you can find, 32 TPI or finer if you can find it. Leave enough (.062 - .125in) to be sanded to length with 220-320 grit sandpaper and slightly chamfer the ID and OD. While some may use high speed cut-off wheels / discs, they can create excessive heat which softens, weakens the plastic; afterall, you are working with FRP, Fiber Reinforced PLASTIC and this type of plastic succumbs to heat.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: March 11, 2022 05:50PM

Niel...the Texalium (colored) may have a tendency to chip the colored coting.
This is why you tape it and cut it.
Just be a little carfull pulling off the tape. Pull it from the inside out towards the end.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 12, 2022 08:30AM

I use a small chop saw that uses a 3 inch - thin cutting disk:

[www.harborfreight.com]

I replace the blade with a 3 inch cutting wheel:

These 3 inch wheels are only 1/32 inch thick. As a result, they cut quickly, cleanly and with minimal material removal:
[www.harborfreight.com]

-------------------------------------
Some years ago, I purchased a chop saw as shown above. I removed the saw from the base, and removed everything on the base. I also used a belt sander to remove all of the raised lettering and degree markings on the base, since I was not going to be doing any angle cutting with the saw. I installed a small aluminum back stop that is lined up with the center of the cutting disk. Then, I mounted the saw on a piece of 2x wood stock with rubber feet to minimize sliding of the saw when being used. It is a nice small saw that get constant use in the saw for cutting any material from rod blanks of both glass and carbon, steel rods, aluminum rods, grips etc.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

================================
I also modified another 8 inch miter saw to be used as a 90 degree cutting chop saw. In this case I use .060 thick cutting room 8 inch cut off wheels that cut very well through virtually all materials.
I changed the base, and also added a light to the saw for good lighting of the cutting action.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I picked up the saw at a pawn shop for $20, and then elevated the cutting bed, to be able to continue to cut - even when the cutting wheel wears down. Miter saws have a stop that inhibits the saw from cutting below parallel. That is fine for a saw that uses a constant diameter blade that does not get smaller than 8 inches. But, I wanted to continue to use the wheel when it wore down to 6 inches, so I mounted a steel channel on the base of the saw, and then added an aluminum back stop to keep the material being cut in line with the centerline of the cutting wheel. When a friend had a need for a saw, I sent this saw on to him and picked up another saw and converted that one to use as an 8 inch chop saw.

I use the Norton's 1/16th thick or 3/64ths thick with a 5/8th arbor to use for a cutting wheel. These thin wheels remove minimal material and cut quickly and cleanly as well:

[www.grainger.com]

A chop saw with a thin abrasive cutting wheel is a very useful tool around the rod shop to be used for chopping virtually anything.

Posted by: Brandon fennimore (---)
Date: March 12, 2022 12:47PM

Where can you find colored texalium tubing at?

Posted by: Neil Toland (---.source.akaquill.net)
Date: March 13, 2022 09:19AM

Chris Catignani Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Niel...the Texalium (colored) may have a tendency
> to chip the colored coting.
> This is why you tape it and cut it.
> Just be a little carfull pulling off the tape.
> Pull it from the inside out towards the end.

That's been been my issue - just slight chipping at the cut. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster